Dunluce

Hot foil question

I would like to out some hot foil initials (just the two or three letters) on a couple of items. It’s not worth thinking about buying a stamping machine so I am wondering if anyone has had any experience just heating up standard hand stamp letters and using them to stamp some foil?

49 minutes ago, Dunluce said:

I would like to out some hot foil initials (just the two or three letters) on a couple of items. It’s not worth thinking about buying a stamping machine so I am wondering if anyone has had any experience just heating up standard hand stamp letters and using them to stamp some foil?

No reason why not. Temperature can be critical depending on what foil you buy. A point and shoot type thermometer makes it easy. Don't leave it on there too long. A quick tap and off. The tricky bit is lining things up because the work is hidden by the foil. You might want to think about doing it on some scrap and then cutting out and sewing it on like a patch.

Years ago, the letter sets like Tandy's were made of a different metal than todays. Lots of folks heated them up on a gas stove to do this, even going so far as to burn the letters in.
In the past 10+ years ago, they have gone to a zinc pot metal that melts pretty easily.
I have one of the inexpensive heat presses off Amazon and it works like a champ. I use 125 degrees C (257F) and press the foil for 2 seconds. Works great.
If it were me, I'd try it by heating the stamp on an electric stove, skillet, etc, that I can adjust the temp on and measure it.
Put the letter face down (no handle) for a few minutes, checking it frequently, then stabbing the handle on and quickly doing the stamping on some scrap.
Another remote possibility, depending on the letter size, is to check eBay and see if you can find individual brass letters and just buy those. They can heat up nicely.
Best of luck!

5 hours ago, Dunluce said:

Just did exactly what you are talking about. 

I used a clothes iron set on cotton setting and set the letters on it. 

I also used a piece of wood marked for the edge of the stamp and clamped to the leather to keep the letters uniform spacing and level. I also clamped under the edge of the wood the foil sheet but on top of the leather going to be stamped. 

I let it all get hot for like 5-10 minutes...

I also used gloves....hey that stuff gets hot and I need to work very quickly. 

Then used a lot of pressure and held it there for a bit. Making sure I had even heavy pressure on all parts of the letter. 

Worked like a champ. 

17 minutes ago, johnnydb said:

Just did exactly what you are talking about. 

I used a clothes iron set on cotton setting and set the letters on it. 

I also used a piece of wood marked for the edge of the stamp and clamped to the leather to keep the letters uniform spacing and level. I also clamped under the edge of the wood the foil sheet but on top of the leather going to be stamped. 

I let it all get hot for like 5-10 minutes...

I also used gloves....hey that stuff gets hot and I need to work very quickly. 

Then used a lot of pressure and held it there for a bit. Making sure I had even heavy pressure on all parts of the letter. 

Worked like a champ. 

Nice one. Think I’ll give it a go. Appreciate all the replies.

7 minutes ago, Dunluce said:

Shoot us a photo when you finish!

1 hour ago, Dunluce said:

You are welcome...

Getting the iron to be upside down was actually my biggest challenge. Used a mallet through the handle of the iron and a couple of big measuring cups to get it to be stable enough to set the letters on it... watching out for the steam vents. 

Plugging it in or unplugging it to be my on/off switch and waiting for it to cool down so I could put it away.