billcurley

29 base wooden drawer

Does anyone here have or can you provide some photos and hopefully dimensions of an original drawer for a 29 treadle base.  I recently bought a 29K 172  and the base is missing the wooden drawer as I'm sure most of them are.  This is a much older base than the machine and someone at some point in time created a plate to adapt it for the machine that I bought it with.  I haven't tried putting the head back on but I am slightly concerned about belt length since the machine is 1/4" higher than it would have originally have been.  I would like to try to rebuild a drawer that is as close to the original as possible.  Spent the last week media blasting priming and painting the iron, just got it all put back together and would like to have a place to store bobbins and the threading needle.

Can find the orphan drawers sometimes in antique shops. 

Bill,

Mine's MIA as well.  I'd like to build one too.

Jim

Not the one you want, but the drawer that came on my machine was useless. Thrift store and 10$ later, looks like it was planned. There were several different treadles in one shop.just gotta deal with the grumpy fella that owns it.

image.jpg

On 11/22/2021 at 11:15 PM, billcurley said:

Does anyone here have or can you provide some photos and hopefully dimensions of an original drawer for a 29 treadle base. 

This is the small plain face drawer in my 1949 Singer 29k 71 case iron base. The tracks that are attached to the base for the drawer I painted black to match the rest of the base.

Dimensions of the drawer:

A) The length 

i) front to back, outside to outside, is: 205.34mm

ii) inside length is 177.33 mm

iii) thickness of back is: 8.13mm

iv) thickness of front is: 19.88mm

B) The width,

i) side to side, outside dimension is: 97.03mm

ii) side to side, inside dimension is: 80.09mm

iii) thickness of sides are: 8.47mm

C) The height,

i) front and sides are: 70.43mm

ii) back of drawer is: 56.87mm

D) The bottom

i) bottom of the drawer is 177.33mm x 84.33mm x 2.23mm thick and slides into a track cut in the sides

E) The track

i) Track for sliding in and out of drawer are 7.92mm wide,  3.45mm deep and are down 9.2mm from the top of the sides

kgg

box1.jpg

box2.jpg

box3.jpg

box4.jpg

Metric measurements in answer to a question asked by an American member using the US inches system are not useful in this case.

I figured the OP was going to replicate the drawer and to get a more accurate measurements I would provide them in mm. To convert metric into imperial just divide my measurements by 25.4.

kgg

I guess we'll just have to dig out our "mm stick".

10 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

Metric measurements in answer to a question asked by an American member using the US inches system are not useful in this case.

It converts to inferior, sorry, IMPERIAL, easily enough. B) 
I'd say that when taking and saving a bunch of measurements it's better that the person taking them works with the system he/she is used to, and if anyone needs the numbers in another system they can convert it themselves. Because if the person taking them in the first place makes a mistake in the original measurement/conversion the original saved data is corrupt and useless, while the risk of such mistakes is far smaller when working with familliar systems, and the original saved data is more reliable. Anyone who get their hands on the original data can then convert it to whatever system they like, and if they make a mistake that will only affect themselves, not everyone who try to use the original data.

Thanks for the info!

40 minutes ago, Gunnarsson said:

while the risk of such mistakes is far smaller when working with familliar systems,

Good advice.

The problem in North America is the US is sort of using imperial measurements while in Canada we are supposedly using metric. In Canada it's hard to find metric nuts / bolts and when you can they are more expensive while it is easy to find imperial ones at the hardware stores. In Canada we buy meat and such measured in both lbs and kilograms but priced by the kilogram at the grocery store yet milk and fuel (gas/ diesel / propane) are in liters. Wood is sold in the Imperial system. The US when it comes to liquid measurements like quarts and gallons they are smaller then the British / Canadian Imperial system for quarts and gallons by about 20 percent.  The US quart is 32 oz while the British / Canadian Imperial is 40.

To add to the confusion horsepower for motors like for our sewing machines where the US and British systems use 745.7 watts being equal to 1 hp while in the metric system it's equal to 735.5 watts. So those servo motors they advertise as 3/4 hp are probably measured using the metric system.

Me, I was raised, schooled, trained and worked most of my career using the British / Canadian Imperial system and today the system of measurement I use depends on what I am trying to do. When Canada became metric it drove a lot of us nuts to say the least and is still a chore.

kgg

I have the drawers for the short arm Singer treadle patchers.  I had a an Amish company in Ohio build them to original Singer specs.  Drawer sides are thicker than the singers were and they have dovetail joints on them.  $28.50 US plus shipping.  The long arm drawers are longer and wider.  never had them made..

glenn

On 11/23/2021 at 7:26 PM, kgg said:

This is the small plain face drawer in my 1949 Singer 29k 71 case iron base. The tracks that are attached to the base for the drawer I painted black to match the rest of the base.

Dimensions of the drawer:

A) The length 

i) front to back, outside to outside, is: 205.34mm

ii) inside length is 177.33 mm

iii) thickness of back is: 8.13mm

iv) thickness of front is: 19.88mm

B) The width,

i) side to side, outside dimension is: 97.03mm

ii) side to side, inside dimension is: 80.09mm

iii) thickness of sides are: 8.47mm

C) The height,

i) front and sides are: 70.43mm

ii) back of drawer is: 56.87mm

D) The bottom

i) bottom of the drawer is 177.33mm x 84.33mm x 2.23mm thick and slides into a track cut in the sides

E) The track

i) Track for sliding in and out of drawer are 7.92mm wide,  3.45mm deep and are down 9.2mm from the top of the sides

kgg

box1.jpg

box2.jpg

box3.jpg

box4.jpg

Not an original Singer drawer.  Looks more like an Adler drawer.

glenn

53 minutes ago, shoepatcher said:

Not an original Singer drawer. 

This maybe true that the drawer isn't original as I can only go back about 20 years of ownership. I did get the original manual, original table top and can only assume the base and drawer are also original. The Singer's did come with more ornate front designs similar to that of the 127/128's treadles on models prior to the 29k-70 series but they seemed to have changed to the plain face design on the earlier 70 series. I have never seen a Alder Patcher from the 40's or 50's and can't comment on the drawers that they came with.

kgg

If it works, that's all that counts. 

I have never seen a plain drawer  on any Singer shoepatcher that was original.  They all had a front that was milled with a knob in it.

glenn.

31 minutes ago, shoepatcher said:

They all had a front that was milled with a knob in it.

As an quick example:

Singer 29k70 and 73 ( ismacs.net/singer_sewing_machine_company/model-29-leather-stitching-sewing-machine.html ) 

Singer 29k71 ( youtube.com/watch?v=0LPAtMRN5ZU )

kgg

On 11/28/2021 at 5:35 PM, shoepatcher said:

I have the drawers for the short arm Singer treadle patchers.  I had a an Amish company in Ohio build them to original Singer specs.  Drawer sides are thicker than the singers were and they have dovetail joints on them.  $28.50 US plus shipping.  The long arm drawers are longer and wider.  never had them made..

glenn

I ordered and recieved one of @shoepatcher's drawers.  It is a quality wooden drawer and fits my 29K71 perfectly.  Thanks Glenn!

On 11/29/2021 at 3:28 PM, shoepatcher said:

If it works, that's all that counts. 

I have never seen a plain drawer  on any Singer shoepatcher that was original.  They all had a front that was milled with a knob in it.

glenn.

Hi Glenn, I have a plain drawer on the 29k171 also and have seen a few of them on the newer 29k´s, you must have missed them:thumbsup:

20211211_145224.thumb.jpg.425410c66ed739d3329eebfae4d04264.jpg

thanks Jimi for the heads up.