Warhauk

When to use rivet types

I've read a bit on the various common types of rivets and it says that double capped/rapid rivets aren't usually used for strength purposes. How far does that actually extend though? Like having a dog leash for an 80lb dog or a belt? Where would be a good rule of thumb where you need to upgrade to higher strength rivets?

Also, I just ordered a large pack of double capped rivets (not paying attention o the fact they were double capped). I have just started to work with leather and the ones I started with were the single cap rapid rivets. After doing a little research, it doesn't seem like there are very many advantages to single cap over double cap. Are there any areas that single cap rapid would be better to use? Such as an item where the back end would be against the wearer like a belt or collar or would double rivet still not be noticeable over the flat back of a single?

Double caps are for applications where both sides will be seen, that's all.

The only rivets I've used (so far) are double cap.  And only one time did I flatten the inside cap (the inside of a small leather pouch where I was sliding in a "SECRID" credit card holder and didn't want it to snag on the rivet cap.  But for all my other uses (mostly bags) I use the double cap.  How strong are they?  No idea, except I really cannot imagine them pulling loose.  And I often use them as a decorative touch on straps which I've stitched together. 

I get my rivets (and snaps, including magnetic as well as rivet presses) from Kamsnaps.  Excellent service and competitive prices.  I actually have two of their presses because I find it more convenient to have one set up to punch holes and the other to press the rivet or snap closed.

What are you making that the strength of a rivet would be of concern?

12 minutes ago, MtlBiker said:

The only rivets I've used (so far) are double cap.  And only one time did I flatten the inside cap (the inside of a small leather pouch where I was sliding in a "SECRID" credit card holder and didn't want it to snag on the rivet cap.  But for all my other uses (mostly bags) I use the double cap.  How strong are they?  No idea, except I really cannot imagine them pulling loose.  And I often use them as a decorative touch on straps which I've stitched together. 

I get my rivets (and snaps, including magnetic as well as rivet presses) from Kamsnaps.  Excellent service and competitive prices.  I actually have two of their presses because I find it more convenient to have one set up to punch holes and the other to press the rivet or snap closed.

What are you making that the strength of a rivet would be of concern?

As far as I would guess, I'm not making anything that requires particularly strong rivets but my current interests are leather armor and bdsm style gear such as collar and cuffs. I was mostly just asking because the articles I was reading were pretty vague as to wha they meant by requiring strong rivets and I would hate for a rivet to pop on someone I sell something to or give as a gift because I just used the wrong rivet.

26 minutes ago, tsunkasapa said:

Double caps are for applications where both sides will be seen, that's all.

I do a lot of my shopping on amazon, and the double caps are a lot cheaper than the single caps that I could find. Are the single cap rapids better or will double cap work for all the same applications?

They will work, the single caps are just flat on the back. I don't use rivets very often. If a project is properly stitched I don't think they add anything.

You only really realise how strong these things are when you make a mistake and have to remove one.  When set properly, especially the solid brass ones are ridiculously strong, you need a drill and a pliers to take them off.  And although I haven't done any tests because I have no reason to, it feels that if a huge tensile force was applied the leather would tear much earlier than the rivet.  If the leather is extremely thick and strong and you need the hardware to match, for example in saddles, well, that's what saddle rivets are for.

To be honest, unless we're talking about saddles or safety equipment, rivets are overkill and are only really used for convenience and style purposes.

I'd think the double caps would be used in applications where the rivet is gonna be in contact with, or rubbing against finished leather: the smooth cap would not mark or mar the leather, whereas the bases of other rivets might leave ugly marks. :thinking: