Warhauk

My First Project

Critiques, criticism, and advice are all welcome. I already know the cuts are pretty rough and I did a pretty poor job with the sanding and burnishing. It is also a crooked strip but I think that is because I set my strip cutter down negligently and slightly bent the blade before making the strips but it was a practice piece so I decided to use it anyways. The leather is just some 7-8oz (maybe 8-9oz) from a scrap pack I bought and the liner was also some scrap.

20211124_163423.jpg

20211124_163444.jpg

20211124_163615.jpg

20211124_163626.jpg

20211124_163602.jpg

Edited by Warhauk
Additional Picture

I think you did a fine job for your first project.  Only concern I would have is the D ring attached with rivets.  Could a large dog pull them loose?  I like to use larger D rings behind the outer strip so there is no pulling on rivets.

1 minute ago, garypl said:

I think you did a fine job for your first project.  Only concern I would have is the D ring attached with rivets.  Could a large dog pull them loose?  I like to use larger D rings behind the outer strip so there is no pulling on rivets.

This is actually a bondage wrist cuff, but the rivet concern could still be valid. I was using a template from github to make it and this is how they secured it. I think I larger D-ring might mess with the aesthetics of it but I will definitely have to consider a way to make it stronger.

Looks pretty comfortable. If stronger rivets are desired, go with bit & burr rivets, a.k.a. saddler's rivets.

nice work.

Good looking piece. For your edges, try lightly dampening them with a sponge and rub a little Feibings bar type saddle soap on them before using your slicker. If they start to dry, dampen them again and keep slickering. Old school but it works great.