swampbuck

Money Compartment Divider?

Hey everybody!

I've gotten a request for a men's wallet with one of those fabric divider thingies in the bill compartment.

I'm wondering what would be the best material to use? 

I don't machine sew thin, rolled edges, etc on my wallet interiors. Instead I use 2-3oz HO, so I'm afraid getting the top of the divider trimmed in thinned down veg tan would result in too much overall thickness. 

Thanks in advance for any advice!

7 hours ago, swampbuck said:

I'm wondering what would be the best material to use? 

Maybe consider using RF (radio frequency) blocking fabric, as it is supposed to block access to the chips in credit cards.

Good question.  I've played around with fabric from old blue jeans.  I either use an already-hemmed portion or I just fold it over some of the meltable fabric adhesive and stitch.  That look might work with "rustic" wallets, probably not a good idea on a classy wallet.

If you want to make your wallet or other credit/debit card holder RFID blocked, there is no need for expensive blocker stuff. I use a thin aluminium self-adhesive tape meant for plumbers to wrap around pipes. It cost me about £5 for a 50m x 5cm roll.

I've High Street tested it on as many car readers as I could find, over 20 different types, and the tape blocked every time

This, (not the exact same roll wot I bought

https://www.toolstation.com/aluminium-foil-tape/p97723)

Last wallet I made I used 1 oz chevre glued back to back with the top edge on the front side cut larger so I could fold it over the back piece and stitch.

Thanks for all the input. Blocking hacker RF/EM signals or other espionage is certainly not my concern on this project. :lol:

My question about material is directed at selecting the proper type of fabric (nylon, polyester), I guess ... mainly concerning which would maintain proper thickness and longevity of the wallet.

I guess I've decided in my head to not trim the top of the divider with leather, but instead sew a hemmed edge with whichever fabric I choose. I sew all leather by hand, but I do have an old Singer I use to hem pants and such, so it wouldn't be too intimidating to tackle this with that technique.

Again, thanks the input! Maybe I'll report back with pics, etc if it would help the next person.

17 hours ago, Hardrada said:

... I used 1 oz chevre ...

Is there another term for this material? When I google "chevre" all I get back is goat cheese. Which was distracting, because that stuff is delicious! :)

Edited by swampbuck

1 hour ago, swampbuck said:

Is there another term for this material? When I google "chevre" all I get back is goat cheese. Which was distracting, because that stuff is delicious! 

Goat skin.

https://www.rmleathersupply.com/collections/vegetable-tanned/products/alran-chevre-chagrin-sully-large-and-x-large-sized-goat-leather-2-5oz-1-1-1-2mm-32-colors-made-in-france

A lady gave me a roll of Bontex awhile back.  I'm sure that will work great.  Found this but it's probably more than you need :  https://tandyleather.com/products/bag-stiffener       

On 11/26/2021 at 9:03 AM, swampbuck said:

Blocking hacker RF/EM signals or other espionage is certainly not my concern on this project

The fabric used for RF blocking is very thin and durable, that's why I mentioned it. Not only that, but very clean looking, plus it's available thru Amazon at a reasonable price.

Copper-Fabric.jpg

Faraday-Fabric.jpg

2 hours ago, JayEhl said:

Found this but it's probably more than you need :  https://tandyleather.com/products/bag-stiffener       

Oh, no, no, no. @ ~5oz, that's super thick for this project, and so stiff the wallet wouldn't fold. That's the stuff I use for patterns.

Edited by Hardrada

21 hours ago, Hardrada said:

Oh, no, no, no. @ ~5oz, that's super thick for this project, and so stiff the wallet wouldn't fold. That's the stuff I use for patterns.

oh, didn't see on their site that it's 5oz!  yea, that's way too stiff.  The stuff that lady gave me was like a stiff nylon/carbon material but thin about like cardboard from the back of a spiral notebook.