LePoisson

Transporting Industrial Sewing Machine

First post here on a first-time sewing machine owner. Get ready for a hot mess...

Yesterday I won an auction for a Pfaff 545-H3-6/01-CLMN which I am hoping I will be able to use to sew mostly clothing projects. I am scheduled to remove the machine tomorrow. I have a few questions...

1. Disassembly tutorials - Reading here I see a lot of advice to remove the machine from teh table. Can someone link me to a good step-by-step for taking the machine off the table. I understand that there may be a need to drain the oil first.

2. Disassembly Gear -  What tools and equipment should I bring? Is there any special tricks I need to know?

3. Transport vehicle - I have a minivan for a regular vehicle. Will the machine and table fit in the back of a minivan, or should I rent a trailer? If I rent a trailer, it is cold and wet outside. I imagine I would need to tarp the machine before driving it home (about a 100 km/60 mile drive).

4. Reassembly - On reassembly, should the machine be given a day or two to acclimatize before being run? Does the oil need time to settle in the sump? Is there a need to pump the oil through the machine or similar?

5. Temperature of workspace - I plan to use the machine in a garage that is only heated when I am working out there. Should I be careful to get the oil warmed up before using the machine? Would it be worth it to put a battery blanket or heat tape on the bottom of the machine?

Edited by LePoisson

Most industrial machine you disassemble very easy by taking the leather belt off and just rocking the machine head away from you and pulling clear

Some machines have a more complicated set up with electronic or hydraulic / air controls which may need expert assistance

The weight of the machine you need to check but only lift able is a man and well built the table is also heavy especially if it has a clutch motor

If you have a tail lift van it may be easier to keep all together

Most machines will run in any conditions but would pay to keep covered so condensation does not occur and lead to rust

Those will oil tank need to be emptied and fresh oil top up before starting

1 hour ago, LePoisson said:

Yesterday I won an auction for a Pfaff 545-H3-6/01-CLMN 

This is what I do when I have to disassemble a industrial sewing machine for transport in my Honda Fit. Moving any industrial sewing machine is best done with two people but can be done easily done by one person if you break it down to relatively easily moveable pieces.

1. Cut top thread and tie off / tape the end closest to the thread spool to the machine. Remove thread from needle. Have the pressor foot in the down position. Don't remove top thread from tension disks so when you have the machine installed at home it will be just a matter of tying the top thread from the spool to the taped down cuttoff and pulling the thread from the needle end. That way you don't have to figure out how the machine gets the top thread path.

2. Remove all other items from the table top like i) the thread spool holder ii) tilt back stop remove it as well iii) bobbin winder.

3. As a lot of machines have the drive belt fully enclosed above table level remove the drive belt cover. The cover probably has a couple of screws holding it in place.

4. Tilt machine back slightly so the belt can be slide of the machines pulley as well as removed from the drive motor.

5. Tilt machine back a little further and lift straight up the machine from table. This is easier done with two people. I lay the machines on their rear side on something soft like a folded moving blanket.

6. Drain oil from oil pan by removing drain plug and wipe dry the pan with a cloth. If it just has a drip pan just wipe it dry.

7. Tilt sewing machine table over so the underside is exposed but put a cloth or piece of cardboard down so the top doesn't get scratched.

8. Remove the bolts that are holding the motor foot pedal and connecting rod from the metal side legs and motor.

9. Remove the screws, bolts, nuts that are holding the motor, controller, on/off switch etc to the table top. Pull motor straight up from the motor mounting bolts. If it is a clutch motor it will be heavy and is removed much easier with two people. If the machine has a servo motor I don't remove it, the controller or on/off switch from the the table top. My thought is I am probably going to replace the clutch motor anyway with a servo motor so it will be quicker in the end.

10. Remove the legs typically "K" legs and cross bracing from table top.

I usually use a small two wheel handcart for moving the various parts to my vehicle but the sewing machine head I physically carry to my vehicle first to be wrapped and secured off the floor. I place the table top side down on moving blankets and the other bits and pieces around it. I take a complete socket set with both metric and imperial sockets, drill with various screw driver bits, couple of thumb wrenches and of course vise grips.

Hope this helps,

kgg

Remove the balance wheel. If you lay the machine down, lay it on its backside not the front. Make sure you pad the hand lift lever against direct pressure. Use foam and blankets. Bring a tackle box for small parts and screws. Ditto for loose spools of thread.

Pfaff machines are expensive and so are replacement parts. Do as little damage as possible!

I've moved a few, always remove the head unit (easy to do) and as Wiz said lay it down with plenty of packing (old blankets etc). I had to completely disassemble the tables to get them in my car, but again no big deal. Just take an assortment of tools - screwdrivers (Philips and flat blade), a socket set, adjustable wrench, pair of pliers and some rags to wipe your hands!! If it has a clutch motor be aware they are heavy, if possible flip the table on its back and remove the motor. Having a mini-van you might be able to get the table inside in one piece and so save a bit of work.

The worst thing to move was my Kansai Special coverstitch: heavy and mounted to the table. I basically immobilized the hole table inside a minivan, by tying it down with spare seatbelts.

Light-weight heads like Pfaff 545 can be taken off and safely transported between the 1st and 2nd row seats, on the floor, wrapped in corrugated cardboard or old blankets. Old sofa cushions help as well.

Since it is a dry head you can also lay the whole table on its side as long as the trunk permits.

14 hours ago, DrmCa said:

Since it is a dry head you can also lay the whole table on its side as long as the trunk permits.

You just confused me... doesn't this machine have an oil sump?

My packing list so far. I head out in a couple hours so if I need to add anything to the kit, I'd love your suggestions.

• 4-wheeled flat appliance dolly plus plywood cover (flat platform I can roll around if needed)
  • 2-wheeled hand-truck dolly
  • 1/4" drive socket set
  • 3/8" drive socket set
  • Adjustable wrenches (small and large)
  • Vice Grips
  • Linesman and needlenose pliers
  • Screwdriver set
  • Box knife
  • Tape (duct and masking)
  • Blankets
  • Bottle for oil
  • Ratchet/cam straps to secure load
  • Small boxes/ziplock bags plus tags to label items
  • Sharpie marker
  • Rags

Check out this image, and you will see oiling holes (painted red):

20190309_164934-1008x756.jpg

May I add a few suggestions?

1. if you have to unscrew or unbolt a piece, put the screw or bolt back into its hole. A bit of duct tape over it will help hold it from unscrewing again

2. put any removed parts into plastic bags with a big piece of paper saying what it is and where it came off.

3. during any dismantling take loads of photos, to show the part in place and that place without the part

learnt by experience of not doing the above  :rolleyes2:  :unsure:

Being Pfaff I guess many bolts will be Metric

I head out in a couple hours so if I need to add anything to the kit, I'd love your suggestions.

The only thing I would add is a Cordless drill and bits.

kgg

Thanks again to everyone! I just got home with the machine. 

All teh tools I ended up needing was a #2 robertson screwdriver to take off the thread "tree." 

The machine and table went on a flatbed dolly across the shop and then the staff guy and I were able to just lift it into the back of the van. I put a couple load straps on it to keep the table upright for the drive home, and now here we are... ready to shunt it into the garage. My next post will likely be trying to figure out how to get this thing up and running.

Perfest! I am still in the Kansay Special and Pfaff 335 mode (facepalm). They are much taller. Also, K-legs can be collapsed as well if needed.

2 hours ago, LePoisson said:

For the record, here's how a Pfaff 545 fits

Glad you did get it home in one piece.

kgg

Thanks for the kind comments folks.

I got it into the garage this morning - it was heavy, but I've moved heavier equipment for woodworking, so not end of the world. It is missing one of the slide plates, and it has a clutch motor. I'm thinking my next steps should be a thorough cleaning and a once-over to make sure everything runs OK. Then I can determine whether a trip to a sewing machine repair place for a tune up is worth it. After that I'll look at a servo motor and whatever other doo-dads will make it magical.

For a price benchmark - I got this at auction with a winning bid of $325 CAD. Once sales tax and buyers premium were tagged on, it came to $433 CAD. I think I did OK. Of course it comes with a Texas guarantee, and I've never seen it run/sew, so who knows. I bought it with money from selling a lathe that was just gathering dust, so as far as shop toys go, there is no change.

Sellers have a tendency of selling their servo motor on eBay and then slapping their old clutch motor back on, prior to selling the machine. Just like they sell floor mats and roof racks, before selling a car.

The price sounds about right.

Plates can be found on Aliexpress quite cheap. I know a few sellers, CKPSMS, Germany Quality Store and Evernice come to mind, if you are agreeable to wait for a month or so. Otherwise GSM Sewing is the way to go.

After that I'll look at a servo motor

Checkout Japan Sewing Machine & Supply Co (146 West Beaver Creek Rd Unit 5, Richmond Hill, (905) 764-0100) ask for Chris good service and excellent prices. The price of $433 for the PFAFF was a pretty decent price. They aren't a overly popular brand name in Ontario which probably has to due with upfront new machine cost and aftermarket access to parts / accessories being expensive.

kgg

Oh, that's not too far away from me! (Actually, I lived about 20 minutes from that shop for about 10 years.)

Will keep them in mind!

When it comes to moving machines Ferg had this amazing stair climber cart that will be a huge help in getting it downstairs. It also has a lift mechanism that will help you get it into the back of your vehicle!

Walmart sells them.

https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/86190-roman-shoes/

Scroll down to see his post!

Edited by Sheilajeanne

47 minutes ago, Sheilajeanne said:

Ferg had this amazing stair climber cart that will be a huge help in getting it downstairs.

I have to keep that one in mind for future use as my area is on the second floor and machines on their out-the-door journey or are being overhauled are kept in the basement.

kgg

Something else Ferg did that was really smart: He detached the machine from its base, then used the screws or bolts that held it to the base to attach it to the bottom of a box he'd built that exactly fitted the machine. Even if the machine fell over, there was no way it was going to get damaged because everything was protected, and couldn't move.

Wish I'd taken a picture of it. The box wasn't solid, and he assembled it around the machine after attaching it to the base. 

You could tell he's been moving heavy machinery for a lot of years, and knows how to use his mind over muscle.

Edited by Sheilajeanne

Wow - what a great community in here! 

I used to work in East Beaver Creek in the same block of towers as the Honest Lawyers. Those were the good 'ol days. I'll have to stop by that shop next time I'm down that way.I live in Durham, so I try to avoid heading west if I can, because traffic isn't my vibe.

Glad to know I didn't overpay on this machine. I am very new to leather, but figured I may as well start collecting equipment for when the projects get bigger - and this machine seems like a decent all-arounder for leather, canvas, sails, etc. all of which I have had or am having some involvement with.

I'll also watch E-bay for older Servos, I'm all about saving a few bux. I did see the plates on Ali, but then I found one of the plates in teh drawer on the machine. Now I only need teh right plate (the one under the arm) that's a 50% savings for opening a drawer! Also the machine came with teh original manual. But it's in French. Thank goodness for Google Translate - I have some french, but it's rusty.

I do not know who Ferg is, but he sounds creative and inventive. Love the ideas you shared!

Ferg is one of the older members here, and confesses he's slowing down a bit with age. He doesn't post often, but when he does, he's always helpful.