vpd66

Chinese walking foot sewing machine

Obnoxious link to an ebay fake leather sewing machine auction

Anyone know anything about these machines? They don'''t seem to be the same has the Sailrite/Rex 609 style machines. Are they a clone of a different machine? It looks like they have sold quite a few but no reviews and no one has even mentioned them on the internet.

Edited by Wizcrafts
Fixed stupid long link

This is a copy of a domestic machine. You do not want one for leatherwork, especially not at that price. I could sell you the original for, let's say, $20 that justifies my time of salvaging it from the curbside.

Oh don't worry I have no intention of buying one. I just thought it was strange that it has no following on the internet. Most of the chinese clone stuff have several reviews on Youtube or get brought up on forums, but there just seems to be nothing out there on these machines.

2 hours ago, vpd66 said:

Anyone know anything about these machines?

Just another China copy of the drop feed zig zag not a walking foot Singer 20U which were made for fabric up to denim weight. There are lots of them available from a number of suppliers with various badges on them.
kgg

57 minutes ago, vpd66 said:

I have no intention of buying one.

Whew!

They probably do not have a following because at that price tag they are unlikely to have a niche. I am glad they do not.

Industrial strength - unlikely. Heavy duty upholstery and leather- unlikely. Walking foot - no. Dubious advertising, if not downright misleading, to say the least. As for not finding any reviews etc, that says it all.

The only portable sewing machines that can even remotely handle leather work are those made and sold by Sailrite. Period. They have dual feed; top and bottom, via serrated or pebble grain teeth on the feet and feed dog. The inside foot and needle are static. The outer foot moves in sync with the dog. They use Class 15 bobbins, just like the ancient Singer 15-91 and the 30-15 tailoring machines. Sailrite offers a super heavy duty Monster Wheel for added torque. Still, they can only handle up to #138 thread and 1/4 inch of material.

I have a Singer 20U, from the 80's I estimate. Decent machine for what it is, was never a factory quality machine but used in the alterations trade at dress shops and dry cleaners. People have used them in production, but they only have a manually oiled hook so take a lot more maintenance than a machine with an oil sump and pump. Drop feed only. The two advantages of the 20U design is it takes standard "high shank" feet, huge variety available, and is a decent ziz zag machine which also has a knee lift for the presser foot or you can switch it over to use the knee lift to vary the with of the zig zag while sewing, which is used for manually making embroidery.

I use it for overlocking the edge of canvas, and sewing light weight fabric that would be overkill for my walking foot machines. It has a very small "L" bobbin which is fine for T27 thread, but runs out quickly for the T70 I normally use with the machine. The pulley is friction locked so you can wind a bobbin, but that's not what you want for heavy materials like leather or synthetics.

There are many clones on the market and if you want this kind of a machine Consew makes a few models which could be considered "industrial", but compared to the computerized plastic machines available today for domestic use this is far more like an "industrial" machine as it sits in a power-stand and you can put any motor you want under it. Not as accurate as a Juki 8700 (drop feed) for straight stitch, but for a zig zag machine it's ok.