YinTx

Finished up another Bible cover

Trying to make a more affordable item, so first time machine stitching, and unlined.  Please let me know what you think!

It is a Jim Linnell tooling pattern that I used, not sure I did it justice.

YinTx

HeartBible3.thumb.jpg.f89e2ec07839c9ea6561bee0d8eeee6f.jpg

That is beautiful. I think Jim would say so as well.

That is beautiful!!!

5 hours ago, rleather said:

4 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

That is beautiful!!!

Thank you both!  I had to shrink the tooling pattern, which made it even more difficult to tool, as if Jim's stuff wasn't complicated enough already!  And the machine stitching made me really nervous.  Glad to see others think it came out alright!

YinTx

I think it looks great @YinTx but I think, especially using a machine, that running the stitch all the way around the border would tie it together a little more. I think the stamps on the spine fit the project really well, that font works great on a bible.

3 hours ago, battlemunky said:

I think it looks great @YinTx but I think, especially using a machine, that running the stitch all the way around the border would tie it together a little more. I think the stamps on the spine fit the project really well, that font works great on a bible.

Thanks for that feedback.  You are right, I normally would run the stitch all the way, but I was worried it would look bad on one side or the other if I had the tension wrong when it got to the single layer of leather.  Have to build up some sewing machine confidence there, I suppose!  I was happy I could run the two words on the spine, instead of just choosing "Bible," and I agree, the font is spot on for it.

YinTx

14 hours ago, YinTx said:

*snip* I was worried it would look bad on one side or the other if I had the tension wrong when it got to the single layer of leather.  Have to build up some sewing machine confidence there, I suppose!  *snip*

Wow, I never knew transitioning from one thickness to another was even an issue using a machine. Good to know in case I ever find myself with one.

1 hour ago, battlemunky said:

Wow, I never knew transitioning from one thickness to another was even an issue using a machine. Good to know in case I ever find myself with one.

Probably shouldn't be if you have the tension exactly correct.  Idea is to have the knot land in the middle of the layers of leather, and if the thread is thin enough for the single layer to allow a knot to form in the center, if the tension is correct, you shouldn't see the knot.  I was not so certain I had all the settings right and the thickness of thread small enough for it to do that in a single 5 oz layer.  I am no machine stitching expert, as you can see, since this is one of the few things I've done with the machine, and the first thing I've done since learning the cam that drives the presser feet was 180 degrees out of alignment and correcting it!

YinTx

I'm with battlemunky .. I HATE that stitch that just stops in the middle o' nowhere ;)  Still, I 'get' why you didn't.. SUCKS when the machine doesn't adjust to the new depth (I've been known to just pull it out and hand stitch through the same holes, honestly).

Stopped by because I'll be making a number of Bible covers coming up directly, and wanted to snoop what you were puttin up.  Gals round here will want some type of closer .. zipper, snap, tuck-tite, ... etc.  Got a picky batch up here ;)

Nice work.

kgg

5 hours ago, YinTx said:

Probably shouldn't be if you have the tension exactly correct.

Just a tip if it helps...if I have a drop of say 1mm or 2oz if you like, I turn the main tension knob back 1/2 turn and tighten again when it gets thick again. Practice on a few scraps and you'll get it pretty quick.

Really nice work. I've been thinking once I get a little more experience under my belt I'd make a cover for my wife's Bible. Not sure I could  do the machine stitching though, I've never used any kind of sewing machine and I'm not sure the wife's would handle leather. If I have to hand stitch it though, no biggie.

Very nice job. I've never done Bibles, but I did quite a few Boy Scout Handbooks back in the day.

Good looking indeed.  Couple of questions:

1. Why did you choose to have the cover and spine as different pieces versus just wrapping the cover all the way around?
  2. What is the thickness of the leather?
  3. Is this strictly a cover for a Bible?  Where it slips over existing cover of Bible?  If so, is the Bible hard or soft cover?
  4. If not, did you remove the existing cover and glue the leather one in its place?

Thanks.  Love the color choice as well.  Very classy.  What was your dyeing and finishing process?

On 11/29/2021 at 6:02 PM, JLSleather said:

I'm with battlemunky .. I HATE that stitch that just stops in the middle o' nowhere ;)  Still, I 'get' why you didn't.. SUCKS when the machine doesn't adjust to the new depth (I've been known to just pull it out and hand stitch through the same holes, honestly).

Stopped by because I'll be making a number of Bible covers coming up directly, and wanted to snoop what you were puttin up.  Gals round here will want some type of closer .. zipper, snap, tuck-tite, ... etc.  Got a picky batch up here ;)

Picky batch here too.  They want nice, but less than $20 because that is what the local Christian bookstore charges for the ones from India.  This was my effort at reducing my total materials and labor cost.  I have a chrome tanned version of this using 3 pieces of leather (no separate spine piece) that I may be able to put out there for $35, we'll see how that goes.

9 hours ago, jonlrussell said:

Really nice work. I've been thinking once I get a little more experience under my belt I'd make a cover for my wife's Bible. Not sure I could  do the machine stitching though, I've never used any kind of sewing machine and I'm not sure the wife's would handle leather. If I have to hand stitch it though, no biggie.

I've made several bible covers all hand stitched until now.  A bit of work, but worth it for something like this imo.

8 hours ago, tsunkasapa said:

Very nice job. I've never done Bibles, but I did quite a few Boy Scout Handbooks back in the day.

Thanks!  Haven't done one of those... no requests what so ever.

5 hours ago, PastorBob said:

Good looking indeed.  Couple of questions:

1. Why did you choose to have the cover and spine as different pieces versus just wrapping the cover all the way around?
  2. What is the thickness of the leather?
  3. Is this strictly a cover for a Bible?  Where it slips over existing cover of Bible?  If so, is the Bible hard or soft cover?
  4. If not, did you remove the existing cover and glue the leather one in its place?

Thanks.  Love the color choice as well.  Very classy.  What was your dyeing and finishing process?

I designed this one with a separate spine because I wanted it to be more rigid than the rest of the cover.  It is 9-10oz, versus 4-5 oz for the body.  The interior pockets are 2-3 oz.

This was made for a specific Bible that I will be including with the cover.  I purchased a set of six, they are paperback, and thin covers at that.  I did not remove the covers, the book can be removed and replaced if desired.

After I did the design and construction work, it dawned on me it looked awful similar to Don Gonzales.  So I got his pattern, and sure enough, dimensions are within 1/2" of the ones I used, so if you are curious on construction, he has a video on it and everything.  Difference is I didn't line this one because I am trying to make a more affordable version than my usual stuff. That cuts about $10 of leather out of the material cost.   I'll post some pics of the inside later this evening if I get a chance.

YinTx

On 11/29/2021 at 6:53 PM, RockyAussie said:

Just a tip if it helps...if I have a drop of say 1mm or 2oz if you like, I turn the main tension knob back 1/2 turn and tighten again when it gets thick again. Practice on a few scraps and you'll get it pretty quick.

Thanks for that.  I'll practice on a few pieces, and if it works for me, I'll give it a go on the next one that I am currently working on!

YinTx

As promised the inside images.  sorta.  Anyhow.

Forgot to reply re the finishing process.  This time around I think I used Fiebings Saddle Tan Pro Oil.  It came out a lot darker than the last time I used it, which I thought was highly unusual. I really wanted a lighter color.  But as it turned out, I really liked the end result.  Leather does leather, not what I tell it to do!  If I recall, I used 50/50 resolene as resist, and some Fiebings highlighter for the antique, and resolene as a seal coat.

YinTx

BibleTop.thumb.jpg.acbd0652d0cafcfd7713cb1a28e43cd6.jpg

BibleInside.thumb.jpg.e63454da75a983f8d17c65b7304ca8a4.jpg

That looks nice. Now I want a set of those letter stamps

13 hours ago, YinTx said:

They want nice, but less than $20 because that is what the local Christian bookstore charges

Yeah, I know the ones.  Still, some of them are quite nice, and the fabric usually allows a much thinner finished product than is generally seen in leather.  Tough to tool nylon, though ;)

13 hours ago, YinTx said:

This was made for a specific Bible

And THERE is the rub.  Have to have the book dimensions to make a "legit" case for it.  Some of the ladies at the Sunday service have those fabric covers that are FAR too big for their Bible.  Some of them cover LEATHER bound  Bibles - seems they just wanted the zipper closure to protect it and keep in contained should it get dropped or bumped (which causes me to wonder why they didn't buy the HARDCOVER Bible).

MY Bible is hard cover, and I've been hesitant to make a nice leather cover for it ... for fear that it will get seen and EVERYBODY will want one.  HOW would I find time to make all those covers AND be here complaining ... :crazy:

Congrats and thanks on your willingness to do your own designing ... that's getting SO rare these days - everybody wants to click a link and have it all done for them ...

14 hours ago, YinTx said:

So I got his pattern, and sure enough, dimensions are within 1/2" of the ones I used, so if you are curious on construction, he has a video on it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIICvf7D7Ng

Don' seems like a decent fella (though to be honest, that's what gets him paid).  Nothing new going on here, though  - this is the same principles laid out in Stohlman's book "Art of Making Leather Cases, Vol 2" like 40 years ago.  

https://tandyleather.com/products/the-art-of-making-leather-cases?_pos=1&_sid=0b0d18e83&_ss=r

Al shows construction with a zipper closure, and about a gajillion other principles a leather guy would benefit from knowing ..

16 hours ago, YinTx said:

Difference is I didn't line this one because I am trying to make a more affordable version than my usual stuff. That cuts about $10 of leather out of the material cost

Actually I have a recommendation that satisfies both cost and a more finished look...

(Beautiful work BTW...your tooling looks a lot better than mine) 

As you are going to work on completing the stitching line across the front and back anyway...you can use a piece of cloth to line the project.  Even nice upholstery fabric isn't more than $14/yd. And it will remove the "unfinished" raw leather from the inside. You should be able to get at least 6-10 Bible covers out of a single yard. And that's if you use upholstery fabric...lighter weights non emroidered are of course going to be cheaper. But you can use anything from denim to monk's cloth to just cotton flannel and make it shine with that. 

Pockets can be burnished on the inside using gum Trac...if you want or fabric laminated as well so the leather dye/oil doesn't get on the paper. And it will look something like this. 

IMG_20211025_125638673-imresizer.jpg

2 hours ago, johnnydb said:

Actually I have a recommendation that satisfies both cost and a more finished look...

Very nice.  Like the added touch.

On 11/28/2021 at 8:02 AM, rleather said:

Thank you much!  Jim is pretty easy going and complimentary, so he might, but I suspect he'd be dyin inside.  :wub:

On 11/29/2021 at 6:07 PM, kgg said:

Nice work.

kgg

Appreciate it!

On 11/28/2021 at 8:20 AM, chuck123wapati said:

That is beautiful!!!

Thanks!

23 hours ago, Simplejack1985 said:

That looks nice. Now I want a set of those letter stamps

Thank you.  Keep in mind this particular font works best on thicker leathers, or you have to put a compressible backer for thinner leathers.

15 hours ago, JLSleather said:

Yeah, I know the ones.  Still, some of them are quite nice, and the fabric usually allows a much thinner finished product than is generally seen in leather.  Tough to tool nylon, though ;)

And THERE is the rub.  Have to have the book dimensions to make a "legit" case for it.  Some of the ladies at the Sunday service have those fabric covers that are FAR too big for their Bible.  Some of them cover LEATHER bound  Bibles - seems they just wanted the zipper closure to protect it and keep in contained should it get dropped or bumped (which causes me to wonder why they didn't buy the HARDCOVER Bible).

MY Bible is hard cover, and I've been hesitant to make a nice leather cover for it ... for fear that it will get seen and EVERYBODY will want one.  HOW would I find time to make all those covers AND be here complaining ... :crazy:

Congrats and thanks on your willingness to do your own designing ... that's getting SO rare these days - everybody wants to click a link and have it all done for them ...

I went and looked.  The one for $20 wasn't so nice imo. Spongey leather looked like plate embossed, whip laced single layer.  I'll drop some photos.  

Regarding the rub, that is why I went and bought bibles to go with the covers, folks look at the covers I've made, and say thats nice, but I don't know if it'll fit my bible.  Well, no more excuses.  Get em for gifts!    

And if you get too many orders, send a few my way, I'll crank em out.

Can't take too much credit for the design work, I've seen several patterns, read Stohlman's book - couple of times - seen Don's video, etc, enough repetition that somehow the knowledge leaked into my brain and got applied when I sketched out my pattern.  Nothing new in my design, heck even the tooling pattern was Jim Linnell's.

12 hours ago, johnnydb said:

Pockets can be burnished on the inside using gum Trac...if you want or fabric laminated as well so the leather dye/oil doesn't get on the paper. And it will look something like this. 

Thank you for the compliment and the photo showing the fabric lining.  Yours came out well.  I've not been happy with my own attempts using fabric.  So for the second version of this same style cover, I've burnished the inside of the leather with Tan Kote, it is much slicker, and I hope it works well.  Time will tell, I hope to finish it up tomorrow!

YinTx

The aforementioned commercial cover...

IndiaBible1.thumb.jpg.6c9e5a6ebd2861234018cd27ab06794f.jpg

IndiaBible2.thumb.jpg.cd38e2696d1a469db05b950461d1f7c0.jpg

Nice job, clean work.