Tandy is having a sale on some stuff i saw their fine diamond chisels are 50% off so picked up a couple. I think today is the last day for the sale.

Edited by chuck123wapati

Yeah I picked up some crafttool 3mm fine diamond chisels the other day from tandy online. Shipping got delayed, but I'm in no hurry, got leather and tools coming from all over #blackfriday sales. ALSO for those interested Thin Black Hermann Oak Veg | Springfield Leather its 3-4 oz black herman oak sides for $65. I talked with the CS and they basically said it was ordered in a size thickness they don't normally carry so they're selling it on the cheap as its normally about $240 a side.

2 hours ago, Silvyr said:

Yeah I picked up some crafttool 3mm fine diamond chisels the other day from tandy online. Shipping got delayed, but I'm in no hurry, got leather and tools coming from all over #blackfriday sales. ALSO for those interested Thin Black Hermann Oak Veg | Springfield Leather its 3-4 oz black herman oak sides for $65. I talked with the CS and they basically said it was ordered in a size thickness they don't normally carry so they're selling it on the cheap as its normally about $240 a side.

sweet deal there for sure

I didn't see a single thing from ANY sales that excited me enough to spend any money. Not one.

I got a couple of modelling tools at 1/3 off. They were right opposite the cash register. I managed to refrain from going any further into the store...:lol:

And of course, now, just 2 days later, I find I forgot to look for sewing thread to match my current project!  :ranting2:

Speaking of thread, Tandy sells exactly THREE colours of machine thread!  That SUCKS!

Where can I get a wider variety of colours for a leather sewing machine? :(

Tandy no longer have a presence in Oz . That sucks. We do have suppliers, but theres some things we just can't get.

HS 

6 minutes ago, Handstitched said:

Tandy no longer have a presence in Oz . That sucks. We do have suppliers, but theres some things we just can't get.

HS 

What is the benefit of having Tandy or other suppliers in Oz?  Chances that any of them would be close enough to go visit in person are pretty slim, so you're stuck with ordering online anyway, at which point you may as well order from the other side of the planet.  It's not like AusPost is faster than international couriers.  It's cheaper, but AU pricing on the actual leatherworking items will make sure you lose all that difference (and more, a lot more).

19 minutes ago, Sheilajeanne said:

Speaking of thread, Tandy sells exactly THREE colours of machine thread!  That SUCKS!

https://www.thethreadexchange.com/

Edited by Spyros

17 minutes ago, Sheilajeanne said:

Where can I get a wider variety of colours for a leather sewing machine? 

i) A & E ( American & Efird Canada Inc.) (514) 352-4800 or online at amefird.ca     

ii) Cansew (28 Apex Rd, North York, ON) at (416) 782-1122 or online at cansew.com

kgg

4 minutes ago, Spyros said:

It's cheaper, but AU pricing on the actual leatherworking items will make sure you lose all that difference (and more, a lot more).

Yep, any so called ' savings' are lost on the exchange rate , and at .71 cents....yes, it is a lot !!

HS

dp

Edited by Spyros

1 hour ago, Sheilajeanne said:

Mississauga location has 8-9 colors probably in stock . Give them a call for stock availability . Tandy carry Leather Machine Co (Cobra) thread

Edited by LeatherLegion

Thanks, Legion! Those look like pretty big spools though. Any idea how many yards are on them?

One thing I like about that thread is it's the first time I've seen exactly the colour I'm looking for! 

Edited by Sheilajeanne

Okay, called the store, and they have 8 oz. spools and 16 oz. (1 pound) spools. Those are both pretty big spools, and I'm not sure I will be using this color (gold) again once this project is done. 

I have some artificial sinew in the color I need, and have been hand-sewing so far, but the sinew begins to separate as you sew, and becomes a real PITA to work with. Because it splits, piercing it with the needle to keep the thread from pulling out of the eye doesn't work. And I still have 20 compartments to sew... sigh!

Gold is surprisingly versatile and usable in leather, because it actually doesn't look all that gold when stitched, more like an off-yellow, and it looks good with black and all shades of brown and tan, which are the most commonly used leather colours.  Not to mention Luis Vuitton made it famous (ok more yellow than gold) :)

18 hours ago, Sheilajeanne said:

Okay, called the store, and they have 8 oz. spools and 16 oz. (1 pound) spools. Those are both pretty big spools, and I'm not sure I will be using this color (gold) again once this project is done. 

What size of thread are you using? If you are using V69 you should be able to get a pretty good selection of colors in the domestic sewing machine size spools at most sewing supply shops.

kgg

kgg, need a heavier thread to sew the pockets. This is a tool roll, and some of these wrenches are pretty big.

Leather is a golden color, like gold deer hide.

got my fine diamond chisels today. They are fine indeed!!! 

NEW Tandy Sale Dec 2 - 5 December Deal Days — Tandy Leather, Inc.

Now I don't like everything at tandy, but its pretty cheap price for veg tan I got some the other day. Some bellies to play with, and some nice clean trimmed double shoulders I can dye and make some wallets for xmas with.

17 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

got my fine diamond chisels today. They are fine indeed!!! 

I bought the ones recommended to me in this thread: https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/97548-tandy-pro-stitching-chisels/

They arrived quite promptly, and I've been using them for this project. They work really well, and I'm using a piece of REALLY thick (12 oz!) belly leather underneath my project to protect them from damage. So far, very pleased with them!

Good use for a piece of belly - as belly goes, this was a really nice one, and I've actually been using it to practice my tooling and swivel knife work.

Edited by Sheilajeanne

16 minutes ago, Sheilajeanne said:

I bought the ones recommended to me in this thread: https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/97548-tandy-pro-stitching-chisels/

They arrived quite promptly, and I've been using them for this project. They work really well, and I'm using a piece of REALLY thick (12 oz!) belly leather underneath my project to protect them from damage. So far, very pleased with them!

Good use for a piece of belly - as belly goes, this was a really nice one, and I've actually been using it to practice my tooling and swivel knife work.

Cool indeed. I'll be testing mine out today and may post a picture for folks. they are so much better than my Cheap knock offs it not even funny. Wouldn't pay full price for them though I'm a tightwad lol.

I have a couple of the same ones you bought - the silver coloured ones, not the black - but the spacing wasn't quite right for this project. Tines were too close together.

Edited by Sheilajeanne