toxo

How to sew straight lines?

I'm doing a first practice patchwork tote. I glued the patches onto some pigskin lining raw edge to raw edge thinking that would look ok. Boy was I wrong! Turns out I can't sew a straight line to save my life without a guide. I also don't think the edge to edge thing is the way to go so won't be doing that again.

So how do you guys do it when you have to be tidy in the middle of the work where you can't use a guide and you have nothing to "lean" on?

If I'm following you correctly; I use one of those Tandy markers. I draw the sewing line with the pen, sew and then wipe off the pen line

https://www.tandyleather.world/products/leather-marking-pen?_pos=1&_sid=1d5573148&_ss=r

very much worth having in the sewing and in the cutters box. I think I have about 6 around my benches, always having one close to hand

I use my Tandy marker A LOT! Helps me cut straight lines, mark stitching lines for either hand sewing or machine sewing, etc. etc!

23 minutes ago, fredk said:

If I'm following you correctly; I use one of those Tandy markers. I draw the sewing line with the pen, sew and then wipe off the pen line

https://www.tandyleather.world/products/leather-marking-pen?_pos=1&_sid=1d5573148&_ss=r

very much worth having in the sewing and in the cutters box. I think I have about 6 around my benches, always having one close to hand

dang and i just made an order

Well, rats!!   "Not for use on natural veg-tanned leather."  Per Tandy.  Not sure if I have anything else here..... 

23 minutes ago, MikeRock said:

Well, rats!!   "Not for use on natural veg-tanned leather."  Per Tandy.  Not sure if I have anything else here..... 

Wot they mean is its not suitable on leather that's not been dyed/finished as it doesn't rub off that too easily but I've used it on undyed leather and most of the pen marking has come off, the rest was hidden under the sewing

Now I feel even more ashamed. I've already got a fairly straight line with the patches but I lose focus on a long run or I try to speed up at the wrong time. I'm thinking of a leather strap that I can tape to the leather (with tape that doesn't mark of course).

For those who can work to a straight line, a builders chalk line (or any thin string that's been rubbed with chalk) will give you the straightest line ever. Just hold it taut at both ends and ping the middle.

Here's a pic of what I'm talking about. It isn't pretty and It's nowhere near the worst bits.

IMG_20211128_201313__01.jpg

8 minutes ago, toxo said:

Now I feel even more ashamed. I've already got a fairly straight line with the patches but I lose focus on a long run or I try to speed up at the wrong time. I'm thinking of a leather strap that I can tape to the leather (with tape that doesn't mark of course).

For those who can work to a straight line, a builders chalk line (or any thin string that's been rubbed with chalk) will give you the straightest line ever. Just hold it taut at both ends and ping the middle.

Here's a pic of what I'm talking about. It isn't pretty and It's nowhere near the worst bits.

IMG_20211128_201313__01.jpg

maybe some videos on quilting would help. I think if you sewed the squares together like they do fabric it may solve your problem.

6 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

maybe some videos on quilting would help. I think if you sewed the squares together like they do fabric it may solve your problem.

I'll have a look but I'm thinking it will have to be French seams next time. Means more work and more leather but the result will be chalk and cheese. (Is that even a saying over there?).

6 minutes ago, toxo said:

I'll have a look but I'm thinking it will have to be French seams next time. Means more work and more leather but the result will be chalk and cheese. (Is that even a saying over there?).

lol nope but apples to oranges is about the same. I don't remember what the seam is that quilters use but they sure can make some nice straight lines, my mom used to quilt it is an amazing craft in its own right and i might add some of the designs would rock made from leather.

I have a long magnet (maybe 16 inch) made to mount tools on a workbench. It is strong enough to not move if stuck to the machine bed as a guide. 

I can hear a few of the Amish guys who helped me sew,,,,,,   'Michael.......SLOW DOWN'...  That was on a Union Lockstitch that would go 200 miles an hour......  Chester threatened to turn the air motor valve almost off.... actually he did and slowed the machine until I learned to stitch slowly.  Helped immensely on the harness work they were letting me do.  SLOW DOWN.......  Keep your eye on the line about three stitches ahead.  HAVE A LINE was the other thing they harped on...an awl scratch, a stitch groove, something to follow.  

God bless

I'm Canadian - we use both 'chalk and cheese' and 'apples and oranges'. No doubt there's more of a British influence here - the Queen is still on our currency! 

I also have never had a problem erasing the Tandy marker pen from veg-tan. 

Edited by Sheilajeanne

18 minutes ago, MikeRock said:

I can hear a few of the Amish guys who helped me sew,,,,,,   'Michael.......SLOW DOWN'...  That was on a Union Lockstitch that would go 200 miles an hour......  Chester threatened to turn the air motor valve almost off.... actually he did and slowed the machine until I learned to stitch slowly.  Helped immensely on the harness work they were letting me do.  SLOW DOWN.......  Keep your eye on the line about three stitches ahead.  HAVE A LINE was the other thing they harped on...an awl scratch, a stitch groove, something to follow.  

God bless

HaHa! You're preaching to the converted Mike. I'm always in a hurry to find out if the concept works. Even whilst writing this I'm thinking  (A) I'll have to make a bigger clicker die for the squares for the bigger seam allowance. (B) Maybe I'll de-construct this one and French seam it to save the patches. It'll mean smaller squares but it'll be worth having.  (C) How the hell can you French seam on both axis? Don't think you can. Will defo be looking at quilting vids.