Silvyr

thickness gauge for leather

I'm just starting off and lets face it, I'm not using the best quality of leather its belly and scraps and whatever till i feel confident to use the sides I ordered online. So my question to yall is where do i buy or which thickness gauge is decent enough for leather. I wanna have a rough approx of its thickness so i can plan projects accordingly. But i'm also worried that if i buy a $10 off ebay itll explode after 2 uses.

Frankly, I wouldn't waste my money. In 40+ years I've never used one or felt the need for one. YMMV

I use one of these;

Leather thicknes gauge, 01LWs1.jpg

cost me about £3.50. Does the job

I make mostly belts, wallets, and knife sheaths, using a range of leather thickness from just over 1mm to about 3,5mm, and I've never needed to measure the exact thickness, you just get a feel for it. If you buy from a decent supplier the figures they give you are consistent

But if you're keen you could just get a cheap micrometer, or something like this

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/802904466/leathercraft-thickness-gauge?ref=shop_home_active_9&frs=1

This might be useful; there are several similar charts on t'Net

Leather Thickness and Leather Ounces Guide (weaverleathersupply.com)

Search YouTube for Measuring Leather Thickness; Choosing Leather Thickness, and so on; there are several videos

Edited by zuludog

I use an acrylic gauge similar to the one that @zuludog posted from etsy.   Works great, very simple.  I found similar on ebay, but they are marked in mm rather than oz.

- Bill

28 minutes ago, billybopp said:

I use an acrylic gauge similar to the one that @zuludog posted from etsy.   Works great, very simple.  I found similar on ebay, but they are marked in mm rather than oz.

- Bill

I have calipers, micrometers, and a handy acrylic gauge I picked up at Springfield Leather.  They are $3-4 bucks.

I bought this one from Tandy and I use it all the time:

https://tandyleather.eu/products/leather-thickness-gauge

The site link above is Tandy Europe.  I tried a site search for Tandy US but couldn't find it.   I see you're in Texas.  If you're near H-town I found mine on the west side Tandy store 

Rocky Mountain Leather Supply and Buckleguy sell Calati gauges. Not cheap, though.

I got one of the wooden gauges sold by Tandy: it's good for a rough idea, but if you're skiving or paring leathers to precise thicknesses—for things like watchbands, fine wallets, et al—you definitely need a gauge or calipers.

23 hours ago, JayEhl said:

I bought this one from Tandy and I use it all the time:

https://tandyleather.eu/products/leather-thickness-gauge

If that one works for you - thats just grand so it is.

I have one and never use it as its only good for measuring at the edge. Tandy used to sell one like that but it was in steps, like an Aztec temple, rather than the smooth triangle. I ordered the step one and got the other

I use mine to search out thicker or thinner parts on a hide or piece of leather for certain projects. 

$2.99 if you have a wholesale account at Springfield Leather Co.

100-0952.SLC.2.jpg?resizeid=22&resizeh=1200&resizew=1200

22 hours ago, Hardrada said:

I got one of the wooden gauges sold by Tandy: it's good for a rough idea, but if you're skiving or paring leathers to precise thicknesses—for things like watchbands, fine wallets, et al—you definitely need a gauge or calipers

Right, I only use it as a rough gauge and it works for me. I don't do much fancy wise but maybe down the road once I get into doing more flat work. 

Edited by JayEhl
clarification

yeah my dumbass went to tandy and got their gauge for $40 got home and see its made in china... sigh.. shoulda just got the 10 buck one off ebay.. They had behind the counter couldn't get a good look at it. I did however also grab the wooden slide in gauge its like that acrylic one from SLC and it seems to be accurate enough. Its whatever stupid me thinking something from tandy would be US made and not mass produced crap. They did however have a 35% off sale on veg tan  bellies so i got a buncha bellies and some nice trimmed shoulders 20% off so its not a complete loss. I've got 3 sides of HO thin black coming from SLC, and some ostrich scraps 2lbs from the same, and 15 Veg HBS Seconds - Bundles - Maverick Leather Company so I've got tons of stuff to keep me busy for a while.

Edited by Silvyr
more info

4 hours ago, Silvyr said:

went to tandy and got their gauge for $40 got home and see its made in china.

:ranting2:

I've held out on buying Tandy's because, yes, the pictures make it very hard to ascertain provenance. Good thing I never bought one... or will.

1 hour ago, Hardrada said:

:ranting2:

I've held out on buying Tandy's because, yes, the pictures make it very hard to ascertain provenance. Good thing I never bought one... or will.

Tandy=overpriced China hobby store.

20 years ago when I was first toying with leather I bought screw in tubes from Tandy. I believe they were .99 each...

I was using them in a press I rigged up, and they often broke.  approx 10 tandy tubes for every osborne screw tube.

Next time I ordered tubes I asked, where they were made and he said "Taiwan or China"   When I grumbled, he said hey now, well sell allot of these!

Edited by Cumberland Highpower

My opinion on buying these type of tools is to go for a new or second hand well made part, because if it is well made it usually lasts for many years if cared for and in the long run you end up buying 2 or more until you come to the conclusion they added up to the amount of a good one! I am with Hardrada and agree if you do skiving etc for wallets and the like then a good precise gauge is probably best. I went for a second hand one and would recommend it, but make sure it works!! :lol:  This one has the back end of the dial broken off and a small ding to the case, apart from that it is a Gr8 working dial and has the small base adjustable.

20211203_120201.jpg

20211203_120252.jpg

Edited by jimi

Good grief thats a big ole tool LUL, It's fine lesson learned tandy = crap tools but I still love the smell and they have a nice selection of Ritza tiger thread. I'll use it for now, but i'll probably save up and get the Calati gauge from italy that RML sells. I was looking at that last week, but didn't buy it cause i bought alot of leather during BF sales.

Lol...yes it has a good reach...those Calati guages look nice...Brown and sharpe, starret look well made also? you might find one at your local market..

Edited by jimi