Dwight

Need Advice Cowboy 3200 Machine

I've used a Tippmann Boss for the last 20 or so years . . . and at 77 . . . I'm looking to make it all a bit easier.

Am very interested in the Cowboy 3200 machine . . . but wanted to know how others have done with it.

I do belts, sheaths, holsters, suspenders . . .  a billfold here and there . . .  a purse here and there . . .  and an occasional custom rig of one sort or another.

Thanks, appreciate any feedback you may have . . . good or bad.

May God bless,

Dwight

Dwight;

I went straight up to a CB4500 for the longer arm and harp space and the extra thickness capacity. Some of our holsters are 3/4 inch along the rib and one was a full 7/8 inch. A lot of our sheath work starts at a half inch and easily hits 5/8 inch. The CB3200 has an upper limit of a half inch. Why be limited? Figure out if you may need to routinely exceed 1/2 inch, and/or need to sew wider items and buy accordingly.

I bought the 3200...way back in late '13 from Toledo Sewing/Mr. Bob himself...it's been a good machine that has paid for itself many times over making holsters & accessories, belts, portfolios...even wallets (although they are on the thick side 'cause I design them that way and I don't like readjusting for "finer work").  ZERO complaints. 

Having said all of that...Wiz is absolutely, 100% correct. If I had it to do over again, I would have gotten the bigger'un (4500). Those portfolios would be easier to swing around with the extra throat/arm space...and so would the larger field holsters that I have occasionally done for folks. The extra material/project thickness would have been nice as well...

One of those 227/341 machines wouldn't be a bad thing either...for smaller items (wallets, accessories, etc). One day...

Edited by Double Daddy

I also have a 3200 and I am also happy with it but wish I had went with a 4500 just for the throat depth on doing larger projects!

I don't know about prices over there but when I was looking at getting a 4500 I thought about a 3200 as it seemed like a nice size machine but there was a minimal price difference here so it made sense to get the bigger machine. Now that RockyAussie has developed the narrow needle plate and feed dog to use #138 on thinner material it makes the 4500 much more versatile and probably better value.

1 hour ago, dikman said:

I don't know about prices over there but when I was looking at getting a 4500 I thought about a 3200 as it seemed like a nice size machine but there was a minimal price difference here so it made sense to get the bigger machine. Now that RockyAussie has developed the narrow needle plate and feed dog to use #138 on thinner material it makes the 4500 much more versatile and probably better value.

Thanks for the mention @dikman. We have developed the same narrow needle plate/dog foot set for the CB 3200 as well. I do have to point out that the extra thickness the 4500 can handle is its major + point and if you ever want to put in a holster plate or stirrup plate set then you will need that extra lift for sure.

7 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

Thanks for the mention @dikman. We have developed the same narrow needle plate/dog foot set for the CB 3200 as well. I do have to point out that the extra thickness the 4500 can handle is its major + point and if you ever want to put in a holster plate or stirrup plate set then you will need that extra lift for sure.

That is the second main attraction of the higher lift machines. Until you have to raise something up to clear hardware or shapes hanging down on the left you won't appreciate the holster or stirrup plates. I have used both many times and would never willingly give up that extra clearance under the feet.

I have a Cowboy 3200. After talking with the Cobra folks at the Heart of Texas show in Waco this year, I am wishing I had bought a Class 3 instead. Same size machine but has the full height limit as the Class 4 & CB4500. My machine works great, but had I known about the height of the Class 3, I think I would have paid the small increase in price.

Wizcraft . . . Dikman . . . Rhale . . . Double Daddy . . . 

OK . . . you guys won.  Just got back from Toledo an hour or so ago . . . the 4500 is in the back of the van.

Dang . . . that is one heavy little booger . . . 

Seriosly . . . thanks for all the advice . . .  I really wanted to stay with the 3200 . . . but knew I'd kick myself if I did . . . so I bit the bullet . . . went for it.

While you are at it . . . you might put a lady named Linda on your prayer list if you have one.  I mentioned I was going to get a new machine when my rich uncle got out of the poor house.  She asked me how much I needed . . . when I told her . . . she laughed and said not to worry about it.  She made a donation that really helped.  

I am her pastor . . . but that is beside the point . . . she just did it out of the goodness of her heart.

God is definitely good to us.

(now to get to work and learn how to use it . . . lol )

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

I'm sure you won't regret buying the bigger machine. :specool: Don't forget to get the narrow plate from RockyAussie, it's a must-have for this machine.

As for the very kind lady, I reckon a custom holster, maybe - or a leather corset?;)

Edited by dikman

1 hour ago, Dwight said:

Wizcraft . . . Dikman . . . Rhale . . . Double Daddy . . . 

OK . . . you guys won.  Just got back from Toledo an hour or so ago . . . the 4500 is in the back of the van.

Let us know if you run into any roadblocks. I'm sure we have experienced them and learned the solutions.

One thing I can suggest is to remove the faceplate every now and then and oil the cranks inside the head. I use precision 4 ounce oilers with thin brass ferules. I get them from Bob Kovar.

Maybe a custom Bible Cover, or the custom holster if she has a need/use for it.  :)

Well I played with it a while tonight . . . I got to go out there and "rejuvinate" that shop area.  Got a wall to come down . . . drywall to patch (or cover up with paneling).

Had to sell my little Grizzly mill to finish financing all I need to do . . . but I believe it will be worth it all in the long run.

Gonna pop my face back into a *.com address out there . . . and come spring time . . . just may hit some of the local gun shows . . . it used to be a fun thing on Saturday's . . . have to see what happens with this Covid thing first though . . . 

And "Yes",  Scoutmom 103 . . . will definitely try to find something she can use in the leather line.  She only carries one of them little hand size Bibles . . . her purse ain't bigger than a NY minute . . . and she only has her firearm for home defense.  

May God bless,

Dwight

I bet she'd appreciate a nice set of double-layered coasters (I use veg-tan on top and a textured oil tan on the bottom for non-slippage)...makes for good sewing practice. Or...maybe a double layered fly-flap for around the house (with hardwood handle riveted in place). Here's some pics of both of those items from several years back (house-warming gifts to my sister...and practice for me on my then-new 3200). Ignore the hand-cut circle pieces (didn't keep coaster blanks in stock like I do nowadays) and the somewhat wobbliness of the sewing...I've learned to become more disciplined in the use of that handy edge guide and, as they say..."practice makes perfect!"

Best of luck to you, Sir, on your new purchase! And many thanks for all of your contributions to us here on the LW.net forum...

Coaster Holder.jpg

Coaster bottom.jpg

Coaster top.jpg

Fly Flap Hanging.jpg

Fly Flap Close up.jpg

Edited by Double Daddy

Flies don't need that much firepower. 1-3 oz is plenty enough for them. Heavier stuff splashes them into ugly splotches (or busts them into ugly blotches?) whereas lighter leather leaves them nicely knocked out but intact for sweeping.

:lol::lol: This could turn into a dissertation on the merits of leather fly-swatters.:lol:

Looks pretty classy, DD.

Heck, I sewed right through the paint stick on my swatters. People loved it! Sewing through wood! Softer than my holsters. Good job on the larger size.  I bought a class 3 and wish I'd gone the little bit more for the class 4 with the deeper throat.

On 1/21/2022 at 9:57 AM, DrmCa said:

Flies don't need that much firepower. 1-3 oz is plenty enough for them. Heavier stuff splashes them into ugly splotches (or busts them into ugly blotches?) whereas lighter leather leaves them nicely knocked out but intact for sweeping.

I don't know how big they grow up there in Canada/"North of the Wall"...but...depending upon where you are down here in Georgia, USA (especially relative to your distance from the barn), flies get to be of a decent size/quantity. If'n you are outside trying to read a book on the porch, it could be like the Battle of Midway during the spring/summer, particularly if one's agrarian neighbor has spread "money" over his fields, etc. Having a swatter of substantial construction (double layered/cemented/sewn, hardwood handle glued & riveted, lots of holes for aerodynamics)...all of this gives the end user options for a finessed French-style "swat and sweep" or a more forceful "call Dexter!" bloody-SPLAT. This, of course, requires a certain amount of quick thinking and athleticism on the part of said user...but the option is available. It has also been reported back to me that such sturdy fabrication has rendered these flaps suitable as "spouse/offspring tamers" :blink: ...but that "flies in the face" of my intended/designed use for them and voids any warranty, expressed or implied.

On 1/21/2022 at 4:47 PM, dikman said:

:lol::lol: This could turn into a dissertation on the merits of leather fly-swatters.:lol:

Looks pretty classy, DD.

Thanks, dikman! How's that for a dissertation? :lol: The ones I have made for folks have lasted many "flaps"...no complaints yet :thumbsup:

Flies, they grow on us, to the size of a penny. Not that Canadians have pennies anymore. (And probably never did, if you understand what I mean.)