Sign in to follow this  
D.A. Kabatoff

"Master Saddlemaker" title

A friend recently emailed me a link to this website... thought it might be an interesting topic for discussion. This organization which is led by some well known people in the saddlemaking business is offering a certification to interested applicants who meet their criteria.

I've always had an aversion to the term "Master Saddlemaker"... I've always felt it was used either for self promotion or by people to improperly describe someone who gives a damn about what they are doing. Another reason the term doesn't appeal to me is that Western saddlemaking isn't like English saddlemaking where there are still long apprenticeships and actual certifications that deem who is a master and who isn't. Some of their certification skills require the use of traditional methods and tools... if the end result is achieved through different methods, does this mean they are not "masters of the trade"? From reading posts on this forum and talking to other saddlemakers who turn out fine saddles, it's evident that many people find different tools and methods to achieve the desired end result... how do we decide if this excludes or includes them from a title? Alot of us learned a little from others and alot from trial and error... I'm not sure I need a title or someone to tell me that I know what the heck I'm talking about. Many customers find me by word of mouth and are increasingly educated when it comes to recognizing quality; A title or lack of title won't change this. Perhaps it limits who my customers are a little, but I'm not sure I want to deal with people who get caught up in titles. It seems this organization is trying to make saddlemakers legit which is probably a good thing for the industry as a whole... I'm just not sure it's right for me.

Here is the link:

http://saddlemakers.org/id107.htm

Darc

I looked at that certification and it's just a bit too spendy for me right now. I'd like to do it, though eventually.

Tex,

As far as I know, they have not had a certification yet. Originally it was going to be prior to the 2006 Sheridan show. They didn't get the numbers, conflicts with Saddle Week (which was the finest group ever anyway, LOL), and conflicts with testers as I understand it. It was to be a written test, and a practical - covering a saddle horn, swells, and doing a Cheyenne roll. You were to bring your own drawdown, tools, and supplies. You were also to bring a completed saddle, and one partially done. You dang sure weren't going to fly and get everything there handy. I would have filled the Capri and slept in the seat. There were really no "standards" for the practical listed. As there a few ways to do everything, I have the concern of Darcy that if you don't necessarily do things as the proctor does, is that wrong? Also we don't all use the same terms to describe even the simple parts of a tree - some call it a waist and some a twist, some the rear pad and some the fan, etc. I do agree that some sort of certification would make things a little more legit, especially to an insurance underwriter. But I am also reminded of what the graduate of medical/veterinary school with the worst grades is called - "Doctor".

Another ASMA event was to take place prior to Sheridan this year, but was likewise cancelled. I am not sure how the deal they have scheduled prior to the Wichita Falls show is going.

Maybe I am being cynical, but it just seems like we don't have the incentive here to make the certification deal be anything more than a certificate on the wall. I can't see the guys who have made a couple hundred saddles go do the test with no incentive other than a certificate. Most customers don't know or care at this point. I am not sure the English folks in this country are concerned with it on their end, and apprenticeships and certification seem to be possible/available in Europe. There is no real infrastructure to get that done on the western side. I don't think two weeks at a school that promises to teach you to make a saddle counts as making you a saddlemaker anymore than a weekend horse clinic makes you a trainer. Like Darcy said, the term master saddler needs some fine tuning. There are a few self proclaimed master saddlers that don't even belong in the same room. The ASMA list looks pretty legit in that regard.

On another side, the ASMA did have plans for more training opportunities. There was also talk of collective business benefits like insurance, credit card processing services, etc. Not sure if that is progressing or not. I think those sort of benefits could make this a more viable group. Currently I am a member, and get updates to the "Green Book" every so often. The Green Book is similar to the pricing manuals the auto repair shops use. Average time and material estimates for different repairs, and a final price based your own shop rate. It is mostly based on the principles that Bob Brenner has in his book on pricing for the saddlemaker and leatherworker. His book is a valuable resource for me BTW. The only calls I get off the website are from other saddlemakers asking me if it is worth joining. The intentions are good, but time will tell.

It seems like most of the saddlemakers I know of that would easily fit in the "master saddlemaker" category really don't NEED a title for anything other than maybe ego, since most of them are booked up for years. It actually seems like there would be more need for some kind of certification on the low end of the scale for people beginning in the business to prove they have at least an adequate knowledge and basic skills. As far as insurance and credit cardprocessing, now I would find THAT helpful.