ScottEnglish

Very stiff chrome-tanned leather

Hi.

Yesterday a parcel arrived at my lodgings containing half a chrome-tanned back, about 3.5mm - 4mm in thickness. I cannot believe how stiff it is! It's like plastic. I've had similar thickness vegetable-tanned leather that has been immeasurably more supple. I thought it would be similar in suppleness to previous chrome-tanned leathers I've bought allowing for the extra thickness. I will have to send it back as it's of no use to me.

I thought chrome-tanned leather was meant to be supple? I'm confused.

Thanks.

Scott

Any pics 

JCUK

No pictures jcuk as I've only removed the outer packaging as I'm going to be sending it back. Furthermore, the only camera I have is the one built-in to my budget laptop. It's not that good. I can handle enough of the leather though to feel how stiff it is.

Scott

5 hours ago, ScottEnglish said:

I thought chrome-tanned leather was meant to be supple? I'm confused.

Not necessarily. It can have a firm to very firm hand. I have a couple sides as firm as any veg tan. You might look into 'milled' veg tan. It is tumbled as part of the process and gives it a softer hand.

There are many factors which affect the "hand" (suppleness/drape) of a piece of leather of any given thickness and animal. Only one of those is tannage. Off the top of my head there is compression (which can come from rolling, slicking or plating); the degree and with what the hide was fatliquored (greased); staking, milling and tumbling; and any coatings or through-treatments which may have been applied. Some hides are probably just stiffer or softer because the beast decided to grow that way. I've had both vegetable and chrome tanned cowhides that run the full range between hardboard and Kleenex.

You may find that it softens with use -- traditional English bridle for instance can be nearly woodlike when it's new but supples up in a short time.

Tsunkasapa: Thanks for your reply. Now I know.

Matt S: Thanks. If I recall correctly, the leather is intended for equestrian use. Maybe it will soften. But without knowing this for certain, I'm going to return it.