DrmCa

Hand-sewing holsters of 11oz: waxed or unwaxed thread?

What sort of thread should be used for holsters, sheaths and scabbards hand-sewn of 11oz veg-tan?

I always use waxed thread, no matter the weight of leather. I HAVE unwaxed threads, but I wax them before use.

:17:  :16:

I don't make holsters, but I do make belts, knife sheaths, and axe covers from 3mm to 4mm leather, and I use waxed thread, either bought ready waxed or I do it myself, or give ready waxed an extra rub if I feel like it.

I think that as a general rule you should always use waxed thread for sewing leather, both linen and synthetic, unless there is a specific reason why not.

Very light leather usually doesn't need waxing, heavy leather is easier to stitch with a coat of  beeswax.  I buy unwaxed thread and wax it myself when my project needs it.  This also leaves me the option of using the thread on a machine.  A 1/2 lb of  beeswax will last a lifetime.

Out of curiosity: what could be the reason for using un-waxed?

I'd use waxed or wax it yourself and I would use 1.0mm thread on something of that weight and that needs to perform in a "surefire" manner.  Pun intended.

Using waxed thread on light leather I don't see much difference in sewing effort, so why bother to wax it?  I wax when it makes a difference.

On 12/3/2021 at 1:50 PM, tsunkasapa said:

None come readily to mind.

I'm buying my first machine (Chinese patcher) and am curious if waxed thread can be used with machines. I purchased a spool of nylon thread. 

For my hand sewing I use hemp thread that I manually wax with bees wax.  

4 minutes ago, SPB said:

I'm buying my first machine (Chinese patcher) and am curious if waxed thread can be used with machines. I purchased a spool of nylon thread. 

For my hand sewing I use hemp thread that I manually wax with bees wax.  

Since I only hand sew, I can only tell what I read here concerning machines and waxed thread. And that is, that only a specific type of machine can do that. And your 'Chinese patcher' is not it. One of our machine experts can tell you what type you need for that.