Damas

45K25 help needed to make it work again

Dear All,

I recently bought that machine (in a lot with the 132k10 I mentionned in another post) and I am having a hard time with it.

I have a timing problem, which I tried to solve using the great following post : https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/62477-directions-for-timing-a-singer-45k25/

I first tried to time it by moving the needle bar, but when done, I have two issues :

- The hook seem a little bit too much far on the right of the neddle to catch the thread

- The needle can not achieve a full revolution with the presser foot up : it's blocked in its way down, by the presser foot

I then thought I need to move the shuttle in the right position by loosening the screw where the shuttle driver attaches to the back end of the shaft but I was not able to turn the shuttle by hand, it does not move at all

Last but not least, both clamp screws and shuttle driver screw are in a very bad condition (head is damaged), making them hard to loosen or tie, making the whole process even much more complicated for me !

I guess someone else before tried hard to fix the machine and baddly damaged these screws

Any clue where I could find spare screws in Europe ?

Thank you very much for any help and support, I would really like to have this beauty back to work

Hi Damas, Could you could post some pictures......that way we can see what is going on with your machine??

Hello Jimi,

Sure ! Here are some pictures :

PXL_20211201_091436338.thumb.jpg.97f03808ec12f917169c4b70c6cd7296.jpgPXL_20211202_123849730.thumb.jpg.3c1fcca062e3538aacf51265c92977cb.jpgPXL_20211203_073004248.thumb.jpg.d5fd4e5f1f27a28e932ac6adb552f158.jpg

Lokks like I can't put more media

The shuttle itself is damaged, I have ordered a new one.

I made a video showing the issue with the presser foot up : https://photos.app.goo.gl/5SQ6Nz6mTpX5pRYU8

Hi Damas, Very nice machine you have there....same type as the one i have here from 1950,51. I think first of all by looking at your video if you got this with a 132k machine then it is possible you have fitted one of its feet? If it is #97780, 97661 or  97784 then it is a 132k foot if it is #91038 then it is for the 45k. I say this because you do not see this foot normally fitted on the 45k machines and especially the cylinder arm ones, this was not part of the options for the 45K21. There was i think 1 hinged foot for it but it came with a knife trimmer and a flat type needle plate. This type of hinged foot is more for the flatbed series and is an option for the 45k1,5,11 etc. Did your machine come with any more feet?

Edited by jimi

The screws on the needle bar clamp are toast!  I would replace them.   You have a part number for them?  I have acquired a bunch of 45 K parts including feet.

glenn

Edited by shoepatcher

@jimi Thank you very much ! She's trully a beauty indeed ! I think you are right, it came with that foot mounted on it but I noticed it was different from the one usually seen on 45k and identitical to the one that was mounted on the 132k10 ! I am curently trying to get the right foot. That was the only foot that came with the machine. But I believe I will have the same timing problem with original foot, I think my needle is going far too low

@shoepatcher Yes, definitely, these screws need a replacement. Original part number for needle bar clamping screws is #158 but I believe #145, #127 or #141 could also do the trick. I am having a hard time to find them somewhere in Europe...

I am still trying to figure out what part number is the shuttle driver screw, because I have no blueprint for 45k25

The #158 is 3/16 xx 28TPI screw like  the #128, #145, #141.  These screws are available in generic now.  Originals very hard to find.  I have both the parts book and the operations manual for the machine.  They were part of the pack I got from a late Leatherworker contributor who passed away in early 2021.  He wanted me to have this info. He restored a 45K25, 45K58, 45K69.  Did a great job on the machines. His wife contacted me after he died and I got all the literature and a Claes RPX shoepatcher for money.    Can you determine the part # that the screw fits in.  That way I can identify the screw you need.

the 45K21 had the foot on it.  45K25 was the same basic machine except that it had the roller feed on it.

glenn

Edited by shoepatcher

@shoepatcher When you say screws are available in generic, would you please provide a link so I could check the type of screw I have to look for here in Europe based on your link ?

For the other screw, I unfortunatelly didn't succeed in finding it's part number...

I hopefully found a local provider for the other parts (shuttle and foot) So I will update here when I'll get them

453 453 15/64 28 TE548

158 blank 3/16 28 TE559 #10-28 UNS

https://www.singersewinginfo.co.uk/screw_threads

I think these are used on a lot of the 45´s, i looked up the K56, K89 parts list and the K1,5,11 and they are the same.

13.jpg.40b9072e0e59809c9ed6cf43c77becf8.jpg67.jpg.547d8b76241a4449f7c4a503f0cfdcfd.jpg18.jpg.c77b623d4aed1870f8bbf33f541f5b7e.jpg70.jpg.8e843a9106f9db69b59355a923dd7bd0.jpg26.jpg.24933a46ab364d58b0ffb76bf43b9688.jpg68.jpg.e789aa6030e79b32624e7e6f1942a905.jpg28.thumb.jpg.a18450f2262faf1f6ff9f8e070b56e96.jpg

@jimi you’re the best ! #453 is the one ! Thank you very much !

I´m pretty sure I have the 453 screw but I have to dig for it. I also have an OEM Singer shuttle. Shipping from Germany to France is not crazy expensive.

Send me a PM if interested.

8 hours ago, Constabulary said:

I´m pretty sure I have the 453 screw but I have to dig for it. I also have an OEM Singer shuttle. Shipping from Germany to France is not crazy expensive.

Send me a PM if interested.

@Constabulary Thank you very much ! I will, in case the screws I have oredered locally does not fit on the machine. I will keep the post updated because anyway I still have my timing issue.

Hurray ! She's fixed ! After having replaced screws and shuttle, I finally succeeded in timing the 45K25, she is now working like a charm ! I am so happy ! Thank you All for your help and support, and for the fabulous information I always find here !