Picked this up for super cheap. It’s set up for double needle. I know you can convert a single needle to double, I’m assuming it can be reversed. Anyone ever done this? Thanks

36A72789-2BED-4DBB-A374-2A68360B2478.jpeg

F07213FF-DC73-4422-BCFF-C8F06986574C.jpeg

05F48A69-B383-403F-A106-EB6C7F0D2A34.jpeg

What a fine beast you have acquired @Garyak!

Not done it on a 145, but with a 112 or similar you remove the unwanted needle and shift the relevant shuttle assembly sideways so its bevel gear no longer meshes with the drive shaft. Similar procedure to changing a gauge set.

If you want to use it single-needle temporarily I guess you could just take out the unwanted needle and not put its bobbin in. Or for convenience you may be able to get a compatible flip-up needle clamp, where each needle can be lifted out or dropped into use at will.

Man. Thanks a lot. You laid that out perfectly. I see exactly what your saying. I appreciate it. Now if I could find parts. 

The Adler 220 and SEIKO JW8BL are similar machines and they share parts with the Singer 144 / 145 - you can check for parts f.i. on the College Sewing website.

https://www.college-sewing.co.uk

But I´m sure you will find dealers for these parts in the US as well but the CS website gives you a good idea how much conversion parts would cost.

Edited by Constabulary

I don't see any reverse lever. So, no, it is forward ho only! Spin the work around to do Poor Man's Reverse, like I do.

6 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

I don't see any reverse lever. So, no, it is forward ho only!

Many of the longarm machines (like my Juki 158) have the reverse mechanism operated by a chain located near the back underside of the casting....as you can imagine, its tough to reach over to operate a reverse lever that is 30 inches away. They were equipped to use a foot pedal for reverse.

-DC

6 hours ago, Garyak said:

Man. Thanks a lot. You laid that out perfectly. I see exactly what your saying. I appreciate it. Now if I could find parts. 

My pleasure!

Parts-wise my go-to is College Sewing. They're in the UK but they ship abroad if you can't find anything more locally. Their database will often throw compatible parts at you if you put the OEM's part number into the search bar (e.g. from a parts list). They're also very helpful and honest with advice if you contact them.

6 hours ago, Constabulary said:

The Adler 220 and SEIKO JW8BL are similar machines and they share parts with the Singer 144 / 145

Also the Consew 744R and the Juki LG-158/158-1 have some parts in common.

-DC

6 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

I don't see any reverse lever. So, no, it is forward ho only!

I think the OP meant that the single to double needle conversion could be reversed. It should be reversible.

But this machine is far from ideal for leather work. It is meant to sew to fiberboard, plywood or plastic. This is why it does not even have a mid-arm wheel.

On 12/3/2021 at 4:54 AM, Garyak said:

I know you can convert a single needle to double, I’m assuming it can be reversed

If you can get the right parts. You will need all the usual stuff: Inner and outer foot, feed dog, needle plate and possibly a needle bar as well. I can't tell if your check spring is still there for the thread controller assembly, but both sets of tension discs and springs are missing. If you use the 144W style of outer (presser) foot, you will have to rotate the presser bar 90 degrees.  The Juki LG-158 I have has single and double needle versions....mine was the 158-1 (single) but I didn't care for the original setup for those same parts and made some with a more specific design for my work. The good news is it seems that some of the Singer parts are more plentiful, but there's not really a lot of variety.

-DC

FeedDogCarrier.jpg

CompleteInstall.jpg

CarrierInstalled.jpg

16 hours ago, SARK9 said:

If you can get the right parts. You will need all the usual stuff: Inner and outer foot, feed dog, needle plate and possibly a needle bar as well. I can't tell if your check spring is still there for the thread controller assembly, but both sets of tension discs and springs are missing. If you use the 144W style of outer (presser) foot, you will have to rotate the presser bar 90 degrees.  The Juki LG-158 I have has single and double needle versions....mine was the 158-1 (single) but I didn't care for the original setup for those same parts and made some with a more specific design for my work. The good news is it seems that some of the Singer parts are more plentiful, but there's not really a lot of variety.

-DC

FeedDogCarrier.jpg

CompleteInstall.jpg

CarrierInstalled.jpg

That’s pretty slick Man. I dig it. 

Thanks everyone who commented. It was a lot of fun learning about feed eccentric and safety clutches. Well worth the nothing I paid for it. 

627429BC-CE80-4029-835A-69BB2F2F7DD1.jpeg