Hags

Shop apron.

I had a piece of softer leather hanging around and nothing on the bench. Merry Christmas to me! I used 7/8 oz Hermann Oak  for the tooled pieces, Hermann Oak 4/5 oz for the straps. Basket weave just because. I have never made an apron like this and can see room for improvement. The stitching on the top of the pocket is because I got so into the machine I just went right around the corner and sewed the dang thing shut! Pulled it out to the corners and hand stitched the top so the holes didn't look like I was ...  I made a yoke for the back and it is tooled with my makers mark as well. It has a short drop to a loop for the waist strap.

Anyway, i like it and can't wait to get dye all over it..

20211202_150628.jpg

That is some nice work indeed. 

that is Purdy.

NICE Work,  Nice attention to detail

Cool but dangerous.

Nice work @Hags! Maybe I should build such a thing and look a little less disreputable with dye and glue over all my clothes. Do you not feel exposed with those pointy ends hanging out of the tool loops?

I see you're in Sequim. The racing cutter Tally Ho was being rebuilt there until her owner had to move to Port Townsend this summer. Don't suppose you visited?

Did not visit Tally Ho. But if you're in the area about September the wooden boat show in Port Townsend is very interesting.  And no, I'm not worried about the pointy ends. I did consider pockets, but ultimately settled on what I have. I dont sit except to do tooling and dont wear the apron for that. This is more for use around the cutting bench and sewing station. Thanks guys.

I like it, but I'm sure I'd figure out how to impale myself on some of those implements.  :crazy:

YinTx

9 hours ago, Hags said:

Did not visit Tally Ho. But if you're in the area about September the wooden boat show in Port Townsend is very interesting.

Mate I'd love to go, it looks lush but I've already got one obligatory trip abroad next year and getting hitched so the holiday time and budget's already spoken for!

Too bad Matt, could've treated you to a day on the golf course here. And all those sharp implements rest on a layer of 7/8oz Hermann Oak leather. Doubt they could make it through.

Very nice!

Nice piece there!

I've always wanted to make myself an apron—I even got the pattern for one—but the amount of leather required makes it prohibitive.

Nice, but why dye it? Its good just as it is

Dye from working on projects! Thanks guys.  The cost is somewhat ameliorated by getting the lighter weight stuff when it's on sale. Usually black Friday stuff. I think I got that side for $65 and free shipping. I don't use much of it, but like to have some around for straps and the occasional bag. 

41 minutes ago, Hags said:

Dye from working on projects! . . . 

oh, gotch ya now, :rolleyes: :yeah:

On 12/5/2021 at 2:34 PM, Hardrada said:

I've always wanted to make myself an apron—I even got the pattern for one—but the amount of leather required makes it prohibitive.

Springfield leather had a pretty good sale on a half cow, all black.  Wouldn't have been my first choice for a color for an apron but hey, for $65, I decided to go for it.   Interestingly enough, that same day i went by Harbor Freight and they had these denim apron also on sale for $5 so I thought that would make a great guide/template for mine.  

That works! Pretty much what I did. 

Nice work!   but I have always made my aprons so they will pull off just incase if caught in a machine when I was a young man my neighbor lost his testicles because of a loose apron. So now all of my connections are Velcro you can still get the look with buckles and all that but Velcro at the hard connection points.

1 hour ago, Samalan said:

lost his testicles because of a loose apron

1 hour ago, Samalan said:

all of my connections are Velcro

notes to self in designing shop aprons..... velcro is a great design option  :lol:

40 minutes ago, JayEhl said:

notes to self in designing shop aprons..... velcro is a great design option  :lol:

It may not really be Necessary like the seat belts in your car I've been driving for fifty years and haven't needed them yet, . when people say why do you carry a gun they say you don't need a gun I tell them your right I don't until I do. Glad to see you were thinking about it .

I dont have any machinery that could possibly grab this. I guess I could climb up on the cobra class 3, but not likely. Not a machine shop..

On 12/5/2021 at 10:00 AM, YinTx said:

I like it, but I'm sure I'd figure out how to impale myself on some of those implements

Yeh I thought the same. Thankfully the  local hospital is only 10 mins away . 

Its a lovely apron, it really is, its heaps good, but its too nice to use. Wouldn't take long for me to mess it up .

HS

Thanks folks. Yeah, I dont wear it to dye stuff. Kind of cool to wear when guys come over to see my shop or when I do a local show.

On 12/7/2021 at 5:34 AM, Samalan said:

Nice work!   but I have always made my aprons so they will pull off just incase if caught in a machine when I was a young man my neighbor lost his testicles because of a loose apron. So now all of my connections are Velcro you can still get the look with buckles and all that but Velcro at the hard connection points.

"when I was a young man my neighbor lost his testicles because of a loose apron."

What???? Was there a hole in his wifes apron pocket:rofl: sounds like the beginning of a Rodney Dangerfield joke lol.

2 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

"when I was a young man my neighbor lost his testicles because of a loose apron."

What???? Was there a hole in his wifes apron pocket:rofl: sounds like the beginning of a Rodney Dangerfield joke lol.

LOL It's true Chuck the apron got caught in a conveyor belt at Bird and sons shingle factory   LOL