Silvyr

What kind of Hammer for stichlines and gluing?

I've heard that you can use a hammer to hammer down stich lines so they lay flatter and close up the prick holes/chisel marks , and tapping along glued areas to make it sit better I'm just curious as to what kinda hammer to use? Any particular brand or particular weight to it, I'd imagine a curved polished head but other than that idk.

I use the cheap wooden hammer that comes in beginner sets from Tandy. Sand the faces nice and smooth, stain it if you wish, and hammer away.

doesn't matter... as long as the face is smooth.  in fact, you could "hammer" your stitching with the back end of a punch for that matter ...

Cobbler's hammer or fitter's hammer. I'd make a leather cover for the head, because if it ever gets scratched or in any way loses its smooth surface you'll be using it to drive nails.

You don't need it to be heavy, as you don't really need to use lots of force (that would end up marking the leather too); it's more of a tap than a WHAM.

Edited by Hardrada

I bought a cheap ball peen hammer from WallyWorld (about $3.00), works great since the flat hammer portion is pretty small and has a nicely rounded edge.

I use an old claw hammer I had lying around. I used a random orbital sander to polish the face so it would not leave marks on the leather.

I use an old George Barnsley cobbler's hammer that I got from the secondhand tool stall at my local market. I cleaned & polished the head with a Dremel type tool & abrasive paper, and fitted a new handle, also from the tool stall. Total cost was about £7 = $10?

Before that I used the hide mallet that I use for punches & stitching chisels. I've heard that many people use a ball peen hammer, but polish the face if necessary, and round off the edges of the face so it doesn't leave circular marks on the leather

I have used a polished up Ball peen hammer and eventually Bought an Osborne Cobblers Hammer the cobblers hammer has a much more pronounced crown and while could have been polished better  for the price. Once I polished a small nick off the head it works great and no fear of leaving a small smiley face that happened occasionally if I wasn't extra careful. Whit all the work you put into a project it isn't worth saving a few bucks using the cheaper hammer. I have multiple hammers in my shop and the only 1 that hits leather is the Cobblers hammer. 

I use a cheap hammer one of those modern ones with only a hand length handle, but glued a thin piece of veg tan over the head so its leather on leather/ thread

3 hours ago, chrisash said:

I use a cheap hammer one of those modern ones with only a hand length handle, but glued a thin piece of veg tan over the head so its leather on leather/ thread

Once again a smart idea I've never heard of.  Thanks for sharing it.

I use a body work hammer with a relatively flat face, even has some marks on it, no damage to the leather since it's a light tap, and dry.  Have had it for years after doing some body work on a couple vehicles.

body hammer.jpg

I have few hammers to choose from; a brass head, a tacking, a cobblers, a car-body plus a rubber & plastic head mallet, two different poly mallets. I use which ever come to hand when I reach into the tool box.

Don't be paranoid about the smoothness of the hammer face. As long as there isn't a big chunk sticking out, slight dinges in a hammer or mallet face aren't going to transfer to your leather if you are just lightly tapping the stitching or glue joint. Its not a 6 inch nail you are trying to put through oak so you only need to go lightly

I use a very old cobblers hammer with a slight convex face polished to a mirror finish .

I use a Sears Roebuck cobblers hammer I found at a flea market for $10. I buffed the face and really like the nostalgia of the thing.

On 12/6/2021 at 2:46 AM, chrisash said:

I really like this idea, going to do it to my dedicated stitch and glue ball peen.  Have you had any trouble with wax buildup from the stitches?