Brianm77

Consew 226

I am new to the sewing machine world.  A consew 226 has come up for sale in my area.  It sounds like the fella that is selling it was not the user and does not know much about using one.  I would mainly be looking for one for wallets and 12oz or so belts. From the little research I have done it seems like this will be a good machine.   I am looking for the experts opinion. 

one question I have is I primarily use .8mm thread now, I would like to continue to use a similar size thread.  Will this machine work with that big of thread?  I have not done the research yet into the mess of machine thread sizes so I am not sure what that equates to. 

anything I should look for in a well used 226?

thanks in and Vance,

Brian

DA739780-81AE-42E7-8BBE-0BD3A271918E.jpeg

665DDCB7-16A3-4DCD-92F9-18FA5776B20E.jpeg

D98D4F6D-D344-4A20-8BDE-B7E9EA114731.jpeg

529C9D17-DEF0-42A2-ABF9-E9E25ABCB9C0.jpeg

BB68323C-12F4-4766-A0F3-ECEF66A49C87.jpeg

Edited by Brianm77
Added photos

Will sew 12oz. leather one thickness.  Has old style clutch motor, old style light.  Needs a little work and a few parts. Maximum thread this machine will sew with is #138 period.  Not #207.

looks decent.   how much is he asking for it.

glenn

Edited by shoepatcher

138 thread is 0.414 mm. Probably be too fast unless you add a speed reducer. Smaller motor pulley would help a bit. Take some of your stuff and try sewing on it. 462 thread is 0.8 mm. 

Edited by 327fed
Added info.

They want $500

i planned on a servo and maybe a speed reducer, belt and atleast the cover plate on the end. 

so what I am getting is it won’t go up to that big?

As to thread size, yes.  You need harness class machine to sew with #415  or #556 thread.

glenn

Here is a chart comparing metric sizes to number sizes of thread from Toledo Machine

https://www.tolindsewmach.com/thread-chart.html

The 138 thread which Shoepatcher mentioned as max on this machine is 1/2 the diameter of your 0.8 mm thread. I have a 225 which I think is similar class and it won’t go bigger than 138.;

For me, $500 sounds $100-150 too pricey. On the positive side, it comes with a small pulley on the motor. That's about it.

Edited by DrmCa

Interestingly, the paintwork on the main body looks very good, with very few blemishes, but the base shows signs of a lot of use.

Looks quite good,  same as my old Seiko and goes through canvas, horse rugs, medium leathers  and upholstery  quite happily.   $500 is cheap....in Oz . I'd buy it  :yes: 

HS