64poncho

206RB-1 bevel gear lube

Was talking to a coworker about my Consew 226 I just got, he tells me about a neighbor that has two industrial machine for sale. 
Price was $100 for both. I go and check them out, a Singer 211G166 and a Consew 206RB-1. Well I couldn’t leave without taking one! So I got the Consew.  Machine looks decent but needs some work. The seller said last time it was used was about ten years ago. Going to go through it, normal clean up, lube and adjusting. 
    My question is, what lube to put in the bevel gears?FD6086E2-A072-4B92-BD48-EF50856D6EAA.jpeg.fa73d581cc9f03aff9bc6702e66f5ece.jpeg

A light automotive grease, or lithium grease, or moly-disulphide grease - it's not going to be too critical, especially if you're going to run it fairly slow with a servo motor.

For $100 I would have taken both!!

Thanks!  Plan was to get both , but don’t have room for it. 

Greases are better for leakage control and provide better seals against contaminants. Grease can remain in equipment longer and tolerate a variety of conditions. ... Oil is also better for extending the life of bearings, as oiled bearings can last twice as long as greased ones.

14 hours ago, 64poncho said:

My question is, what lube to put in the bevel gears?

Personally I wouldn't and don't use grease in any of my machines. Grease does a great job of sealing out contaminants from the teeth of the gears but doesn't provide the slick factor that synthetic oils provide. You could windup with pockets where the grease has been forced out and leaving the teeth of the gears dry but encapsulated in a bubble of grease. But then again I don't use sewing machine oil in any of my machines not even on the China Patcher. My experience is that my blend of synthetic oils makes gears run smoother as it creates a film between mating gear teeth which in effect reduces the load on gear teeth and hopefully increases their life.

kgg