Davm

Beveling, etc.

I am just starting out and have a few questions.  On the beveling:  How far back from the line do you bevel? In other words, let's say it is the flower petal.  Do you strike straight down so the bevel highlights the line and that's it?If yes, and then you use the pebble or back ground shade, that impression should go how far? Near the beveled area or up to the line?  In a similar way, on the pear shade tool just "wing it"  to highlight the edges of leaves, petals etc.?

Your principle lines should be CUT WITH A KNIFE, 1/2 to 2/3 through the leather in most cases.

Having done that, the "straight up and down" side of your beveler goes ON the line. Bevel to the outside, AWAY from the flower if that's what you're tooling. 

As for shading, DONT think of distance from the cut lines... instead try to visualize where the petals (since you specifically mention those) would be "low" or "high".

There are A BAJILLION videos showing "leather tooling", and I'm gonna say most of them are CRAP.  Don does a pretty good job of telling you what he's doing and why ... this video is part 2 of a series, specifically shows using a beveling tool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkKCtA5al00

jm.jpg7000b.jpgstamp.jpg

Alot of info free online at Tandys website https://tandyleather.com/blogs/leathercraft-library/pictorial-instruction-cards-for-leather-carving

Edited by chuck123wapati

Those flowers look like what is out of the Tandy book and that is what I am actually trying to do.  Thanks for the help.  I really want to learn to do this.  I am practicing circles with the swivel knife.