AzShooter

A Little Weekend Project

This weekend I decided to make a new holster for my Colt 1911 22.   I chose the Avenger style and JLS was nice enough to sell me a pattern for the magazine holders.  I really like his design.  The holster was from a pattern from Able's Leather.

1911 Avenger Mag Holders Front.jpg

1911 Avenger Back.jpg

our pattern fits the .22?  Good to know ;)

Still, who's this Ables fella?  That holster looks familiar ...

Untitled-1.jpgMaybe we'll gitya to try out this other thing.. see if this fits ya as well ...

Right hand, very simple thumb break holster with integral belt loop ;)

Able might have one JUST like it ...

this must be same pattern, I guess?  I'll have ta snoop around, see if i still have this tooling design anywares near here ...

sa2.jpg

I really screwed up the holster.  Just figured it out. I forgot to stitch around the stiffener section so I'm making a new holster.  

That's the big difference.  He doesn't have a fastener for the snap and the belt loop is totally different.

My mind just isn't right.  It's Adam's Leather, not Able's.  

I'm getting too old...

Edited by AzShooter

8 hours ago, JLSleather said:

Still, who's this Ables fella?  That holster looks familiar ...

You're right, it does indeed look familiar...

That's the design I came up with back in January of 2010 (the 1911 holster photo attached here) when I tried to find a different way to make an Askins Avenger. I incorporated the belt loop with the front curved wrap panel, which honestly is a terrible design since the belt loop has to be stretched so much to fit the belt. To my knowledge, NO ONE was making them that way at the time. This morning I scrolled through 2 years worth of posts from you starting when you joined on January 6, 2010 and I never saw anything from you that might indicate you were also making them this way. In February of 2010 I made one for my Kahr P9 (photo of the holster also attached here), which I filmed and posted to YouTube. If you were making them this way, I certainly never saw them!

AzShooter - please feel free to contact me via my website. I'd be more than happy to help you however I can if you have any questions.

20100113-211148_(1).JPG

20100213-014701_(1).JPG

1 hour ago, particle said:

This morning I scrolled through 2 years worth of posts from you

:rofl: You really should get some kind of a life.  I can't imagine any SANE cause for digging through somebody else's stuff, especially not for hours ... I wouldnt' even do that if they ASKED me to.  :rofl:

I don't think I was making this style holster around 2010 - most of the holsters I do are TOOLED leather.   In fact, had you asked a simple question I could have TOLD you that and saved you all that time.  Course, you woulda missed out on seeing my cool stuff.

jm.jpg

I was doing stuff more like this ...

and these .....  DSC00237.jpgred01.jpgsince these do at least take SOME skill / experience to make. 

poo-01.jpgBut certainly NOT this, since as anybody who knows me or any of my work knows I would never leave this ... space .... on any holster I make.

You know, cuz ... "IF what you do is something that ANYBODY can do, then don't be surprised when ANYBODY does.", and those 'cut it out, sew it, and form it"  holsters definitely something anybody can do. 

In fact, SO MANY people started popping up with FOR SALE patterns around that time that I made some myself TO REMIND PEOPLE just how simple this is, and that a guy really don't need somebody else to do the layout for 'em.  The person in that video appears to be one big fat wrinkle (sad when even a guy's WRISTS have folds) ... and even he/she seems to be doing okay, thus we conclude ANYBODY can do it.

Incidentally, I made these SPECIFIC holsters with tooling designs from WAY back  .. 1) because I personally like them, and 2) because SO MANY people were suddenly "tooling" leather (probably too gracious for some of what I saw) and I wanted people to be able to COMPARE what others tooled with what I tooled, WITH THE SAME PATTERN.

But, lemme git on back to patterns n holsters n stuff.  Now in 2021, I find I'm quite bored with those "plain" holsters.  Again.  SO bored in fact, that I'm currently only making them for people I know, and only by specific request.  I plan on making more holster PATTERNS, though, and I'll need to MAKE them to test the fit, so there's that to do.

MEANWHILE, seems a bit rude to talk this much about patterns and NOT provide AT LEAST ONE.  That in mind ... what do I have "laying around" that some folks could maybe benefit from?  

bg380_C3.jpg

Oh, hey -  how about this simple little clip-on IWB for the SW Bodyguard!  EVERYBODY use this pattern, make a holster, take a pic of it and upload it to here.  We could have an "anybody can do it" photo gallery ... and the winner gets.... NOTHING at all (but the pattern is FREE).

Yes, that's a small bit of sueded leather on the inside face, for TRACTION ;)

I'll git the pattern 'processed" here directly, but for now i'll say this took a piece o' 7/8 cow about 8" x 4.5", another strip for the clip "retainer" piece, a clip of your choice (I'll include the SIZE of the clip used, but don't remember WHICH one exactly) and a rivet.  Dye and finish as you see fit... and attach small piece of suede leather (or cloth, or cork, whatever).

Wait.. no point to "process" something this simple.  Just remember to mark the sewing line ON ONE SIDE ONLY... the other side is shown just so you can easily mark the GLUE LINES on the inside.  The clip used is shown full size... alter or use another style if you want it to ride higher or lower ...

BG380_C3.pdf

Actually, ya know what?  Fer you OWB folk, here's a mag carrier for that same little shooter ... SAME COST ;)

Mag_SWbg_P0.pdf

Edited by JLSleather

I never said I spent 2 hours. I did scroll through 2 years of post summaries and titles to make sure I wasn't speaking out of place (and it probably took less than 5 minutes). And I only felt it necessary because, for at least the second time, you commented "That holster looks familiar ...", inferring you were the original creator of the design

16 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

The person in that video appears to be one big fat wrinkle (sad when even a guy's WRISTS have folds)

I guess I'm not surprised to see yet another comment like this from you.

Oh, yah - you DID say 2 years of posts, not 2 hours of snoop.  Correct.  Guess i didn't pay much attention to you :rofl:

36 minutes ago, particle said:

I guess I'm not surprised to see yet another comment like this from you.

Nor should you  be.  I have a history of noticing what others don't, and have on occasion been known to say what others won't. :dunno:

2 hours ago, JLSleather said:

I'll git the pattern 'processed" here directly, but for now i'll say this took a piece o' 7/8 cow about 8" x 4.5", another strip for the clip "retainer" piece, a clip of your choice (I'll include the SIZE of the clip used, but don't remember WHICH one exactly) and a rivet.  Dye and finish as you see fit... and attach small piece of suede leather (or cloth, or cork, whatever).

Oh, yah - it should be obvious, but just in case ....

The pattern shows actual size for the main body of the holster (you could trim it if you don't want room for the initials) but not for the 'clip strip".  This is because .... depends on the clip you use.  Just trace or sketch your clip, then cut the leather 1/4" wider on all sides. ;)

Thanks guys for the tips and patterns.  I've learned a lot more tonight.  

Particle:  Great videos.  I've got a long way to go but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.