Warhauk

Issues with super skiver

I have a super skiver and I just can't seem to get it to bite when trying to thin things like the foldover section for a belt buckle. I've watched several videos on it and they make it seem like it just bites in, you go parallel and cut. Am I missing something?

On skiving the area for a belt buckle I find slicing at an angle works best. On doing edges I use it at a slight angle

I'm not sure if there is any right or wrong way per se, but, I've found that if I use it where the middle of the blade touches my granite, then I can apply pressure to get an even bite / skive as you draw along the edge.

That said, I also buried my super skiver right into my thumb when it bound up on me and I wasn't paying adequate attention. Sometimes when it bites, it bites a lot, then not at all. (watch your finger placement!!)

I've since switched to using the Tandy "Safety Skiver" and honestly have had much better results, much more consistent skives.

I also have a few of the Japanese skiving knives, they work great on thinner stuff but skiving belts i get a bit antsy...

3 hours ago, donohueleather said:

I'm not sure if there is any right or wrong way per se, but, I've found that if I use it where the middle of the blade touches my granite, then I can apply pressure to get an even bite / skive as you draw along the edge.

That said, I also buried my super skiver right into my thumb when it bound up on me and I wasn't paying adequate attention. Sometimes when it bites, it bites a lot, then not at all. (watch your finger placement!!)

I've since switched to using the Tandy "Safety Skiver" and honestly have had much better results, much more consistent skives.

I also have a few of the Japanese skiving knives, they work great on thinner stuff but skiving belts i get a bit antsy...

Ive also tried the japanese skiver (it came as part of a 3 piece set with some bevelers) and i will definitely need to get more practice with that before i feel confident. As for the super skiver, i start on the edges and go to work into the middle and i can get a bite on the edges, but when i go to even out the middle, even after thinning both edges, it just scrapes the surface and I'm afraid to take too much off of the sides to create enough of a slope in the center.