Squill

wallet pocket material??

Was wonder what are the best leathers for the inside of wallets. I've had some success with using 3oz to 4oz for the interior and exterior shells and a 1.5 to 2.5 sheepskin I get from Tandy for the card pockets. This works ok, I like how thin it is so it keeps my wallets from becoming to bulky, but the sheepskin is so supple it can be kind of hard to cut my pocket edges square and I often end up with the panel not perfectly lining up on the edges. What materials  do you folks use to keep your wallets nice and thin??? Thanks a whole bunch!

1 of 2 ways, generally .

gfnew.jpg

Use kidskin - from S-T Leather.  Very nice, very consistent feel and colors.  About 1.5 oz.  Double check, but I think it's item L3777 in their store.  Skins are about 5 sq ft, give or take a bit.  Very nice.  It's chrome tanned, so the edges don't burnish.  I either skive a taper or fold the edge over on outside edges (not pocket tops).

Their web site is WEIRD at the moment, just call them at (314) 241-6009 

Alternatively, consider the Chaylor-Finelli inserts distributed by Springfield Leather.  I have used a number of various styles and found them all to be quite nice.  Customers always like them.  Very easy to work with.  Being pre-made, you would want to be sure that the size is correct for your project before beginning.  Being part leather and part fabric (innards) these are even thinner - still very nice.

Edited by JLSleather

I use .5-.6 mm goatskin (chevre).  I never worked with sheepskin but with soft leather I use a rotary knife.  Instead of pulling the knife through, I first back cut the ending part closest to me a little bit then reach back and pull and cut.  This way the end cut isn't stretched.

When I glue two pieces of leather together I cut both oversized ,glue together then cut.  In some circumstances, I have one piece the proper size and then make the other bigger, then glue and trim.