Davm

Camouflage stamp vs Veiner Stamp

I'm new to carvi9ng, on the stems of flowers/leaves some times the instructions say to use a camouflage stamp and other times a veiner- they seem pretty much the same. Are there any standard rules of when to use one versus the other? hanks.

27 minutes ago, Davm said:

I'm new to carvi9ng, on the stems of flowers/leaves some times the instructions say to use a camouflage stamp and other times a veiner- they seem pretty much the same. Are there any standard rules of when to use one versus the other? hanks.

if you look close at your instructions you will see they use both, usually  on Stohlman patterns one on one side of the leaf vein and one on the other side and in different sizes. Rules apply to those who are trying to exactly copy one of the different tooling styles. so if your using one of Stohlmans books or patterns for example then yes that's what made his style unique. Sheridan style may have different rules or techniques i haven't studied it much. but I live off the old adage, its your house you can paint it whatever color you want. i was just looking at a knife sheath here that used a triangle shaped stamp around the border of a basket weave where a camo tool is usually called for in books and it looked great sooo........ 

Totally.  This is an absolute subjective art.  Go for whatever makes your heart sing -- and with whatever tools you have!  But if you want to emulate the masters, then yes, as @chuck123wapati said, you'll want to follow the instructions and study their final piece.  TBH, I did that at first to learn but from then on, I add a little of all my favorite artists to make it into my own.  :)    Not sure if it's a 'style' but it's my house!!

I wouldn't say those tools are the same, but in the end they're both for "decorating" the leather.  Either can create the illusion of "roundness' and depth -which is the point.  Beyond that, part of the idea is texture, and that may be where those tools vary the most.

Chuck's correct, though... just do it how YOU like it.  Bob Ross comes to mind ... the canvas is "your world"... so might put a tree right here ...

g27_det.jpg

40 years ago, when "craftaid" templates were quite popular, the template usually came with a picture that showed the tools used and where they were used on that carving.  Many of them I used AS SHOWN, since i was trying to learn how to carve leather and wanted to be able to compare what I did to the picture.  Probably not necessary, but it did help ME ... FWIW.  Probably where i got the idea to do this type of thing when asked.

Well, here's the plan: the Tandy Leatherwork Manual has a square with a floral pattern. I figured out a way to use that same pattern on a double loop holster but before using up "good leather" I have tons of scraps around to practice on.

1. Swivel knife- the "U-tube" guys make it look easy but I need to work on making a nice curved line, etc.

2. Bevels- I realize I need several sizes- some for small areas.

3. pear shade- I did better on my first effort, the second I over did it.

4. The Veiner and camouflage- I think I am good, just didn't quite understood how to use them.

I am doing one pattern until I get that right. Then I'll move on from there

On the swivel knife. I have the "roller" guide that Tandy sells but I don't think I have the knife sharp enough. If you have to force the knife- that may take away from nice curved lines. On stropping the edge- I do that with my hunting knives but as I said- I think one issue might be my inability to get a really sharp edge on the swivel knife.

And....I never realized that "carving" leather went as fast as it does. There is an intro type U tube from Tandy in which the guy does a nice job in a matter of a few minutes.

Once I get the carving down okay the next issue is dying, it looks like in the Tandy video there is a dye of the background, then a resist type compound over everything followed by a dye and then ribbing off the excess dye.