YinTx

One more tooled Bible cover!

Finished up another Bible Cover, kinda like the way this came out.  Still need to get the machine stitching down pat tho...

Used Wickett and Craig leather this time around.

YinTx

CrossBible.thumb.jpg.2b18f895897c16ecaacf93c3d293be9b.jpg

CrossBilble2.thumb.jpg.6870d0259e62ca8f2291a3e28050d18b.jpg

Assa nice color.  Maybe a little smoother in the matting around the cross (probably the angle and the glare making it show up as much), and then there's that spot on the back panel.  Oh, wait... that's a spot of something on my screen :lol:

Seriously, I like it. ;)

beautiful again!!! man you stuck that border.

Nice job!

I like it. I think most books could benefit from a nice leather cover.

3 hours ago, JLSleather said:

Assa nice color.  Maybe a little smoother in the matting around the cross (probably the angle and the glare making it show up as much), and then there's that spot on the back panel.  Oh, wait... that's a spot of something on my screen :lol:

Seriously, I like it. ;)

It's a color I mixed up myself, trying to get a close to natural look.  Surprised you weren't unhappy about the "ant-streak!" There is some camo stamping around the perimeter of the cross, and considering I am trying to make a low cost cover, I spent as little time as possible to get semi decent tooling.  I agree, it could have been smoothed out a bit more for my preference, and the angle really does catch the light wrong and highlight the issue.  Glad you like it otherwise!

3 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

beautiful again!!! man you stuck that border.

Thank you.  Honestly, spent a lot more time on the border than I did on the cross and spine.  It is all beveled, no cutting.  Might consider carving it in next time to help out with the definition.  This was only 5-6 oz leather, and I didn't want to compromise the strength at all.  Here's a close up of a corner...don't mind my lack of experience causing the machine stitching to be a bit out of whack..

CrossBible4.thumb.jpg.00d4e2fa3f8052f1a8f603eb6d8dcad0.jpg

3 hours ago, BruceGibson said:

Nice job!

Appreciate it!

2 hours ago, tsunkasapa said:

I like it. I think most books could benefit from a nice leather cover.

I agree... now if I could only get some others to agree enough to send me their hard earned $$ for one of these covers, I'd be a happy guy!  I took it to a market last weekend, and everyone ooohed and aaaahed, but it seems $125 is still a bit too much, so I still own it.  :huh:

YinTx

Just beautiful.  No better book to have that nice lookin cover either.

12 hours ago, YinTx said:

It's a color I mixed up myself, trying to get a close to natural look.  Surprised you weren't unhappy about the "ant-streak!" There is some camo stamping around the perimeter of the cross, and considering I am trying to make a low cost cover, I spent as little time as possible to get semi decent tooling.  I agree, it could have been smoothed out a bit more for my preference, and the angle really does catch the light wrong and highlight the issue.  Glad you like it otherwise!

Thank you.  Honestly, spent a lot more time on the border than I did on the cross and spine.  It is all beveled, no cutting.  Might consider carving it in next time to help out with the definition.  This was only 5-6 oz leather, and I didn't want to compromise the strength at all.  Here's a close up of a corner...don't mind my lack of experience causing the machine stitching to be a bit out of whack..

CrossBible4.thumb.jpg.00d4e2fa3f8052f1a8f603eb6d8dcad0.jpg

Appreciate it!

I agree... now if I could only get some others to agree enough to send me their hard earned $$ for one of these covers, I'd be a happy guy!  I took it to a market last weekend, and everyone ooohed and aaaahed, but it seems $125 is still a bit too much, so I still own it.  :huh:

YinTx

So i was thinking i might make one of these for the wife, i have a question. What if a guy was to sew a thin leather book mark to the inside front cover so you could put it between pages when you close it. Do you think that would work? or would it tear up the pages? I need to think on this a bit.

23 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

What if a guy was to sew a thin leather book mark to the inside front cover so you could put it between pages when you close it.

Most any craft store will have ribbon in various widths and colors.  Or if a guy uses leather lace, you could use that as well (though if you mark mulitiple pages like I do, that might create enough bulk to not be good for your book binding). 

I have been known to  buy these ... though a guy with a scrap of leather and some ribbon could easily make them from "scraps" .  Note similar stuff is available with adhesive, like peel and stick to the inside of the binding.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08LG9TYHX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

13 hours ago, YinTx said:

Surprised you weren't unhappy about the "ant-streak!" 

Some folk is determined to use it... so ... say lah vee ... ;)

28 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

So i was thinking i might make one of these for the wife, i have a question. What if a guy was to sew a thin leather book mark to the inside front cover so you could put it between pages when you close it. Do you think that would work? or would it tear up the pages? I need to think on this a bit

Just a suggestion, use a ribbon instead of leather.

The cover is beautiful,  well done.

I always enjoy seeing your work...Very nice! Well done!

Thanks for sharing with us 

13 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

Do you think that would work?

Not too sure myself.  I've wanted to do the same, but the book moves in the cover when you open/close it.  I think some of the other method may be better, maybe something more attached to the book instead of the cover.

12 hours ago, JLSleather said:

Some folk is determined to use it... so ... say lah vee ... ;)

Yep.  Actually have some of the same frustrations that a lot of others have, so I mix up my own to get a much more subtle result that I can apply only to the areas I want, instead of the whole piece.  Now, what to do with all the jars and tubs of antique I have left over....

2 hours ago, Bawarrior said:

The cover is beautiful,  well done.

Thanks much!

33 minutes ago, Bruce H said:

I always enjoy seeing your work...Very nice! Well done!

Thanks for sharing with us 

Glad you like to see my stuff, I enjoy sharing it.  Thanks for the compliment!

YinTx

Well done

My wife is a librarian. I was going to make some tooled leather bookmarks for gifts ( maybe I could manage this small a leather item). She said they would be too thick and damage the books. Anybody had success with these?

9 hours ago, 327fed said:

My wife is a librarian. I was going to make some tooled leather bookmarks for gifts ( maybe I could manage this small a leather item). She said they would be too thick and damage the books. Anybody had success with these?

I have made a ton of bookmarks.  Those tooled were 5/6oz leather.  No complaints.  Then I did some thinner ones recently .5/1oz, but I laser engraved them.  They are almost paper thin.

54 minutes ago, PastorBob said:

I have made a ton of bookmarks.  Those tooled were 5/6oz leather.  No complaints.  Then I did some thinner ones recently .5/1oz, but I laser engraved them.  They are almost paper thin.

Thanks. I mostly use 8-9 oz but I have some 5-6 I could try. 

On 12/13/2021 at 9:26 AM, JLSleather said:

Most any craft store will have ribbon in various widths and colors

I love ribbons and love the idea of some scrape leather to attach the ribbon to so it slides into the opening for the spine if the Bible is hardback/leather/leather like.    Might I suggest using pinking shears to cut the ribbon to help with fraying or they make something called fray check (usually located in the sewing notions)

Yin the Bible cover is beautiful

11 hours ago, 327fed said:

I love the look of leather bookmarks, but they are usually too thick for my books, especially if it is a paperback book (those bindings are usually glue and the pages come out easily in my experience.)

11 hours ago, Scoutmom103 said:

Yin the Bible cover is beautiful

Thank you!

YinTx

Very nice! I like the color as well.

3 hours ago, Hags said:

Very nice! I like the color as well.

Thank you!

YinTx