rickybobby

Two 1911 Holsters, the same, but different

This is a style of Holster I like for using at the Gun Range. 

I made one Rough Out and one Smooth Out. Many Makers don't know or or don't choose to do any tooling on Rough Out, I like the look of it.

I gave a friend that has a 1911 a choice of which one he wanted and he picked the smooth leather (I was happy about that, I like the Rough Out) :)

Questions, Comments, Constructive Criticism are always welcome!  Thanks for looking!

Rick

1911 Range Master w:tooling copy.JPG

1911_Rough_Out_Range_Master_Holster.JPG

That rough out does look nice indeed.

pretty cool.  Never thought of tooling rough leather.  What thickness of leather?  How is the retention on these?  What method did you employ for attaching to belt?  Do you have a shot of the back?

Never been a huge fan o the rough out, but you almost change my mind -- that looks NICE ;)

4 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

That rough out does look nice indeed.

Thank you, it does have a different look to it.

3 hours ago, PastorBob said:

pretty cool.  Never thought of tooling rough leather.  What thickness of leather?  How is the retention on these?  What method did you employ for attaching to belt?  Do you have a shot of the back?

Thank you! There is an old Al Stohlman book that shows tooling rough out side of leather, I don't recall the name but I'm sure it's still in print.  The Leather is from Wickett & Craig #1 Back, Russet Color. I buy 12/13oz and have it leveled to 8oz then have the back finished and pasted. The retention is very positive due to molding I would not trust it for riding Horseback or ATV's but for working in the shop and training at the Range it's fine.  The back is a simple stitched belt loop. (see photos)

1 hour ago, JLSleather said:

Never been a huge fan o the rough out, but you almost change my mind -- that looks NICE ;)

Thank you! I've found Rough Out looks better if the hide has been split, finished & pasted. :)  There is no hope of real hairy/fuzzy uneven rough out ever looking good! ;)

Back_of_1911_Range_Master_Smooth.JPG

Back_of_Range_Master_Rough_Out.JPG

Edited by rickybobby
upload photos

1 hour ago, rickybobby said:

The Leather is from Wickett & Craig #1 Back, Russet Color. I buy 12/13oz and have it leveled to 8oz then have the back finished and pasted.

thanks for the info and pics.  Looks nice.  What is the additional charge for that service (leveling / pasting) and who does it for you?

5 hours ago, PastorBob said:

thanks for the info and pics.  Looks nice.  What is the additional charge for that service (leveling / pasting) and who does it for you?

No trouble, thank you...

I buy Leather from Wickett & Craig in PA.  Leveling is done at no charge, I think refinishing the backside and pasting is .20 cents extra per foot.

Pretty cool! I do a few pocket holsters and leave the flesh side out. I'll have to start tooling them now!

Friend,

I like these. They are reasonably close to the Chapman High-Ride—the only 100% satisfactory semi-auto holster ever manufactured. 

Why don't you just do a direct copy of the High-Ride? Someone ought too!

…..RVM45

Most excellent work.  Great design and I like the tooling.  Keep up the good work.

Nice holsters and the wrong side out :lol: version should be easy on the gun's finish. Personally I would have done no tooling on it. 

I like the border, it's not too much for the rough out leather.

Nice work on both. I am not real crazy about the rough out look but see where it will be easier on the gun's finish.