Kolton45

Rifle scabbard

Hey so I'm about to be picking up a custom made flintlock and I'd like to make a scabbard for it I'm wondering what the best style of stitching or lacing would be the best for it I've made one in the past and saddle stitched it but obviously took forever sence I dont have a sewing machine I was thinking about cutting some thick lace and doing like a buck stitch on it but wasnt sure about the strength last one I made was out of brain tanned buffalo and km thinking I might have enough for this new gun as well but also thinking about doing it in eg tan and doing some tooling on it and help or advise would be appreciated 

Screenshot_20211214-180149_Gallery.jpg

You made a nice case there!  I like to make cases from soft temper leather - I like to use elk hide.  Sew the case inside out and then pull it out so stitch line is inside.  I double stitch using a machine but I think a single saddle stitched seam would be perfectly adequate.

Here is a pic of an elk hide case.

Gary

E1A93591-6FBD-4E59-9757-383666611A0A.jpeg

142723DC-1CAA-437D-9E26-7156B25C12DB.jpeg

I made one a few years back for a  cousin . . . for his rolling block 45-70 . . .  I would have used deer skin  . . .  but couldn't find any long enough . . .  so I used suede.

Stitched down the side . . . with a toe plug . . . fringe . . . and I did the USMC beading for it . . .  

The bottom closes with a small zipper that can be tied closed.

May God  bless,

Dwight

usmc gungag  small.jpg

usmcgunbag3  small.jpg

i made mine like Garypl but added a strap so i could carry it over my shoulder like a quiver. I used to walk a lot hunting and it sure made it nicer to carry that way. i think a buck stitch would hold up if that's the look you want to go for. The brain tanned stuff is more period correct i guess but a guy can make his stuff out of what he wants to. maybe a bit of both worlds lol.

3 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

The brain tanned stuff is more period correct i guess but a guy can make his stuff out of what he wants to. maybe a bit of both worlds lol.

My wife makes them out of Pendleton and Hudson Bay blankets.

4 minutes ago, tsunkasapa said:

My wife makes them out of Pendleton and Hudson Bay blankets.

oh heck yea i wish i had the heart, and the money, to cut one of those up lol. Could you imagine how cool a Hudson bay lined brain tanned buckskin scabbard would be!