drumminor2nd

Tippmann Boss or Cowboy Outlaw packages?

Hey, all. I'm looking for a machine for sewing holsters and knife sheaths, maybe the occasional belt. The wife and I agree that I can't spend $3,000 on a sewing machine for a hobby -- so no motorized machines unless I find one for a steal -- but I can handle $1,500. So that has me looking squarely at the Tippmann Boss and the Cowboy Outlaw. I know hand cranking a belt is going to suck, but any more than doing it by hand? (did that once, not planning to repeat it). I figure if I ever get going making things for money I can sell/trade in whatever I buy toward an electric later on. 

It looks like they both sew about the same thicknesses, use similar thread sizes, etc. The Outlaw has more throat distance that's more "square" and useable, while the Boss weighs half as much (good because I have a bad back). It's going to mostly live in one place for now, but it may end up being mobile later on. 

Tippmann offers a setup on their website with a material guide, stirrup attachment, left and right pressor feet, center and fleece feet, six extra bobbins, as well as all the normal stuff for $1,209.  https://tippmannindustrial.com/tippmann-boss-leather-sewing-machine-deluxe-package/. That's looking like a winner for me unless there's a similar setup for the Outlaw. Anybody know of one? I see this one has some of the things I'd actually use in it, wondering if this is a good seller or if there are alternatives: https://brodbeckironworks.com/products/cowboy-outlaw-hand-operated-leather-sewing-machine

1 hour ago, drumminor2nd said:

Hey, all. I'm looking for a machine for sewing holsters and knife sheaths, maybe the occasional belt.

You didn't mention the Weaver Cub, maybe another one to look at and consider.

kgg

1 hour ago, kgg said:

You didn't mention the Weaver Cub, maybe another one to look at and consider.

kgg

I like where your head is at. I'd be interested if Weaver had them in stock. The price is $300-$500 more than the others, too, but I wouldn't be opposed. 

30 minutes ago, drumminor2nd said:

I like where your head is at.

I like the look of the weaver as I figure you could probably modify the wheel at some point to accept a belt so a servo or helper motor could be installed to save your arm. As far as dependability / service or use I don't know.

kgg

3 hours ago, drumminor2nd said:

so no motorized machines unless I find one for a steal -- but I can handle $1,500

Here is a motorized machine for $200 more, that has reverse.

I bought a Boss about 20 years ago, I’ll share my thoughts on it.  I never ran any sort of sewing machine prior so the learning curve was long.  There were quite a lot of frustrating moments but they were all user error.  Running this machine successfully is a skill that takes a bit to be learned.  Backstitching is still tough however but like with a lot of things there are work arounds.  But most importantly is the customer service.  Always there, always outstanding.  A phone call gets any part shipped, always in stock.  Any questions get answered by people that know this machine inside out.  Hope this helps