Sign in to follow this  
WalterF

Shrade Old Timer Fixed Blade Sheath

Just finished up another sheath, this time a bit smaller than the Bowie knives I have been doing. It was a little small for carving so went with basket stamp and border. First project they were used on because of the size it looked better.

Let me know areas that I can improve on so my skills progress.

Thanks Walt

DSC01616.thumb.jpg.16703a4374d6493c248c49bbff5fd513.jpgDSC01617.thumb.jpg.2a37de0b2cd2b80582288ae08f212550.jpgDSC01618.thumb.jpg.2d3bb17959ef8c3d79d0522cc7dab3d1.jpg

Edited by WalterF

2 minutes ago, WalterF said:

Just finished up another sheath, this time a bit smaller than the Bowie knives I have been doing. It was a little small for carving so went with basket stamp and border. First project they were used on because of the size it looked better.

Let me know areas that I can improve on so my skills progress.

Thanks Walt

it must be really small i cant see it?

Just now, chuck123wapati said:

it must be really small i cant see it?

I messed up on the upload had to edit them in.

Looks fine to me. Nice job.

I've been itching to make a replacement sheath for mine, but haven't felt the inspiration hit me on the exact design I'd like to do.  Yours came out nice!

YinTx

Looks like your strap edges are painted or dyed? 

I might try a natural burnish to keep the strap a little cleaner looking.

Maybe even a little bit darker leather for the strap? (This might not even be possible if your using black antique).

Just some ideas.

Your work is Great! BW Stamping is spot on! Love the style / look...It came out real nice!

great job !!

Nice job  on that,

On 12/15/2021 at 6:43 PM, Hags said:

Looks fine to me. Nice job.

Thank you

On 12/15/2021 at 6:52 PM, YinTx said:

I've been itching to make a replacement sheath for mine, but haven't felt the inspiration hit me on the exact design I'd like to do.  Yours came out nice!

YinTx

Thank you, it was a fun little project. Looking forward to seeing yours.

On 12/15/2021 at 10:12 PM, Bruce H said:

Looks like your strap edges are painted or dyed? 

I might try a natural burnish to keep the strap a little cleaner looking.

Maybe even a little bit darker leather for the strap? (This might not even be possible if your using black antique).

Just some ideas.

Your work is Great! BW Stamping is spot on! Love the style / look...It came out real nice!

Thank you, edges are dyed will have to try natural burnished edges soon.

On 12/16/2021 at 5:20 AM, chuck123wapati said:

great job !!

Thank you

22 hours ago, Samalan said:

Nice job  on that,

Thank you

I have greatly improved my own leather work while working with Francine Etched Knives through her constructive criticism, and because that is what you asked for that is what I will offer.

First off your stamping is well laid out and you use the camouflage tool to good effect, that being said some of the impressions are a little bit uneven in depth.

The stitch line could be more well centered between the stamping and the edge. Especially on the back of the sheath.

The retention snaps should be covered where they can contact the knife handle so it won't cause wear marks and the inside of the strap could use some tan-kote or some other type of finish or sealer.

I hope you take this as intended, only to help not hurt . Compliments are nice but my work never got better from them.

13 hours ago, Leescustomleather said:

I have greatly improved my own leather work while working with Francine Etched Knives through her constructive criticism, and because that is what you asked for that is what I will offer.

First off your stamping is well laid out and you use the camouflage tool to good effect, that being said some of the impressions are a little bit uneven in depth.

The stitch line could be more well centered between the stamping and the edge. Especially on the back of the sheath.

The retention snaps should be covered where they can contact the knife handle so it won't cause wear marks and the inside of the strap could use some tan-kote or some other type of finish or sealer.

I hope you take this as intended, only to help not hurt . Compliments are nice but my work never got better from them.

Thank you for  the time you spent critiquing my work. It is appreciated, only way to grow.