yachtyman

Singer 7-9 revival

I have been using and enjoying my 111-155, I decided I wanted to look for a machine that could go through some thicker material. I picked up a 7-9 this morning for a song that I was told worked before the previous owner passed a few years ago. The price was so good I just spun it over by hand a few times and loaded her up. The motor is locked up but thats not the end of the world. Once I got into cleaning it I noticed the needle and the presser foot lift quite high, but the inside foot is only lifting about 1/8". I didn't notice many adjustments on this machine and couldn't locate one for the inside foot. Am I doing something wrong?

After looking this machine up, I can't seem to find much info on it. I found a manual online but it only tells what the machine is used for, and a parts list. What style of needles does this use?  This machine looks a lot more simple than the 111-155.

Also I read that they could be altered to sew thicker materials up to 1". I am curious if anyone has any experience with this. 

Those 7 series machines are very powerful and can stitch some really heavy materials.

I think, perhaps though, it's maybe  or maybe not exactly what you were hoping to find?  They can stitch heavier leather with a heavier cord, but they are not really well suited to general leatherwork.  They're a little more suited to heavy strap work in nylon (such as sewing lifting slings or cargo nets) or other materials.  Stitch quality is ok, but not really what I'd consider ideal for quality leather goods.  I think the needles are class 7.  7x4, etc.  

If you sew heavy rigging it's probably up your alley.

I can't remember on the outer presser feet as to adjustments though.

Thanks for the reply! I don't do much leatherwork, but lately I have been making bags from really heavy materials and using seatbelt material for the banding, and lifting straps for the handles.  I made one a few nights ago out of some trampoline material and there were spots that would not fit under the foot of my 111-155. The next morning I was browsing craigslist and saw this machine for next to nothing. I think it will work great for my use if I can get it up and running. It also has about twice the height under the arm, and another 5-6 inches of width

The high lift and reverse modifications were usually done to the more common 7-33 and 7-34.  These are often used for parachute harness work.  I have 3 of these.

I'd have to look up the intended lift for 7-9.  None of them were real high as made. I don't have the link handy but google "army sewing machine technical manual" and you should come up with two TM- manuals. At least one has very detailed maintenance instructions for the 7-33.  How it will apply to a 7-9 I don't know.

Two of the companies that used to do the high lift and / or ad reverse conversions are out of business. I think there was a third but don't remember who it was.  I think lately folks have moved to newer machines rather than having these converted.  Have fun.

Thanks! I am going to take a closer look this weekend and see what I can figure out. From what I have found the 7-34 is the closest brother to the 7-9. I think the 7-34 replaced the 7-9, but I don't know what the differences are. The other issue is the presser foot. All the other pics I find on singer class 7 machines, the foot is double sided. Mine is single sided and doesn't look to be broken. The machine did not come with the original foot and I'm guessing parts for these are not common.

Does anyone know where I might be able to locate a foot for this machine?

I tried to post some pics but I cannot figure out how to take pics with my new phone in low enough resolution to be under 1.6mb

pics will help  I believe the Consew 733 and Seiko machines use the same feet.  Call C.H. Holderby in Seattle.  They deal in lots of industrial machines.

glenn

Edited by shoepatcher

I posted some pics in the gallery section, it would let me upload larger pics there.

So after cleaning up the machine and doing a bit more research, it looks like the foot lifts about 5/8". I have a machine shop at home and would like to modify the machine if possible, but the needle bar looks like it can go another 3/8" or so higher without hitting the bottom of the casting as it sits. I would love to get a bit more out of the machine. 

I did some sewing with it by hand and with the needle that came with the machine. It seems to work well, and had no trouble punching right through 3 layers of thick lifting strap. Which brings me to my next question.

What size motor is acceptable for a machine of this caliber? The beefy old motor that came on it was 1/2 hp, but it has an internal short and I can't seem to get it to work. Most of the motors I look at look kinda underpowered for something of this size.

You can get by with a Family Sew FS-550s motor attached to a 3:1 speed reducer. That's what is driving my big Cowboy CB4500. It easily punches through 3/4 inch of veg-tan leather and then some.