OldNSlowMarine

Pancake-style for a 3.5-inch 1911

Here's a classic all black pancake-style I recently finished for a client's 3.5-inch 1911. I really like making these without the Reinforcement Panels on the front. 

258896174_3088115221466142_3332133421717077111_n.jpg

260036243_297298355640037_8439383688279680722_n.jpg

you got that down pat really nice work. How thick is that leather

40 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

you got that down pat really nice work. How thick is that leather

Thanks! Wickett and Craig veg-tan, split to 8oz, 'holstered' with pasted flesh

Very nice.  Clean lines and great molding.  Vacuum press?

1 hour ago, PastorBob said:

Very nice.  Clean lines and great molding.  Vacuum press?

Thank you. No press, no vacuum. Wet molded while the holster was wet with dye. I dip-dye. This one has been dyed twice. Once when the leather was cut, then a second time for molding.

I know that "too tight" is relative but does crisp molding around the ejection port make it difficult to draw?  It is a handsome holster!

49 minutes ago, OldNSlowMarine said:

This one has been dyed twice. Once when the leather was cut, then a second time for molding.

No fair double dipping :whistle:

I don't go that deep in the port simply because i dont' want anything "catching" on it.. I want the holster to slightly "smooze out" the profile - like the snow fills a ditch - so it doesn't catch shirts, pockets, etc.. and telegraph that it's there.

Holster looks good, though ... and nuthin' I said should be taken as "negative" or "bad" ... just each his own.  I AM wondering how you got the trigger area so F L A T ... ;)

Edited by JLSleather

8 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

No fair double dipping :whistle:

I don't go that deep in the port simply because i dont' want anything "catching" on it.. I want the holster to slightly "smooze out" the profile - like the snow fills a ditch - so it doesn't catch shirts, pockets, etc.. and telegraph that it's there.

Holster looks good, though ... and nuthin' I said should be taken as "negative" or "bad" ... just each his own.  I AM wondering how you got the trigger area so F L A T ... ;)

It was pushed out some from the inside after molding. Draws just fine. With the flat side of a Tandy stainless steel folder.

https://tandyleather.com/products/craftool-pro-foldercreaser-stainless-steel

1 hour ago, jrdunn said:

I know that "too tight" is relative but does crisp molding around the ejection port make it difficult to draw?  It is a handsome holster!

I definitely had to manipulate it some from the inside to keep it from locking up. 

I generally do a reinforcing piece but dang I like that detail! I get what your saying about the ejection port,  you gan get great detail and relieve it from the inside and keep the lines.  Very nice!

Super detail.  I like this holster a lot.  You really nailed molding it.  I use vacuum bags and they just don't give that much detail.  I'm thinking of buying a better vacuum.  Mine is just an old shop-vac.

Is it hand stitched as well?  Nice stitching.

8 hours ago, AzShooter said:

Super detail.  I like this holster a lot.  You really nailed molding it.  I use vacuum bags and they just don't give that much detail.  I'm thinking of buying a better vacuum.  Mine is just an old shop-vac.

Is it hand stitched as well?  Nice stitching.

Thank you! No, I don't think I could hand stitch much anymore. I use a Cobra Class 4.