I looked around the forum and could t find an answer to this specific question. We all like barge for a reason. We all also hate barge for a reason. Is there anything out there that will produce similar results to barge without all the negatives? I'm sure there is going to be a trade off. I'm looking for something easier to use. Probably still use barge when needed. But when I'm gluing where I'm gonna stitch, seems like barge isn't necessary. What other glues out there do you all like? Say if I'm gluing card pockets and plan on stitching. What glue is easy to use, doesn't get all stringy, won't potentially ruin a project if it gets on the face, and doesn't smell like a chemical factory, but still adheres nice enough to work for this application? Thanks

In the UK we have a glue called Copydex. Its a latex based glue. Does what you are looking for

I haven't heard of copydex. I've never tried fiebings leathercraft cement or Tandy eco flo. I feel like one of those might be what I'm looking for. Or maybe not. I e heard some ppl using Elmer's glue. I think my main advantage I'm looking for is easy application. Barge is such a pain to apply. I buy the small tubes of barge and apply it with folded card stock (works similar to those flat plastic applicators) or a small "glue knife" that I found (similar to a dab tool if you know what that is). I'll look into copydex tho. I'm sure I can find it somewhere over here in the states

Edited by Meandmy1963

i use weldwood contact cement. buy one of those big syringes you use for brining turkeys 

Edited by chuck123wapati

I primarily use Weldwood.  I transfer it to a small jar.  The jar opening being smaller has less fumes but it will still kill you, only slower.  For larger glue areas I like Intercom Ecostick 1816B non solvent contact cement.  It takes longer to tack-up but it is easy to use and has no fumes.  I use an acid brush to apply it and clean the brush in water.  I like the Fieblings' cement for smaller applications.

I've been using Tandy's Tanner's Bond. It's about the ONLY thing I get from Tandy.

Tandy makes a white glue that works great no smell I didn't like the idea at first but this stuff is strong and it's latex works really good.

I use Tandy's white glue and have been surprisingly happy with it.  It bonds real well and there is no smell.  I'm restricted to the garage to do my work because my girlfriend, it's her house, doesn't like the smells from my liquids but she hasn't said anything about this glue.

Barge is definitely pungent.

I have used Tandy Ecoweld and Aqualim315. Aqualim is a little thicker and better at holding the corners down but takes longer to dry. I have started either beveling corners or rounding them (3mm radius) because white glues are not as good at keeping the very tip down as barge. For the rest of the project, no issues.

I have found that a 30CC squeeze bottle with a needle tip helps me get the glue to the edge of the leather without it going over or making a mess. This is one advantage of water based glues.