Silverd

Post bed wanted

Looking for a post bed for handbag sewing.

Silverd

You will want one with either a roller foot or walking feet. I have a 1950s Singer walking foot post machine with a 7 inch post. It takes standard G size bobbins, like the Singer 111 machines. I usually thread it with #69 bonded thread, but it can take #92. My machine can sew about 5/16 inch and clears over 3/8 inch. It uses standard System 135x16 and x17 walking foot needles.

More modern post bed machines can be had that use larger M style bobbins and sew a little thicker (3/8").

If you are looking for a new post bed machine, check this one out.

Have a look in out Marketplace for used sewing machines. Maybe somebody has a post machine for sale. You can also place a wanted ad for a post machine.

3 hours ago, Silverd said:

Looking for a post bed for handbag sewing.

Silverd

If you want to do totes etc have a think about this one.https://www.techsew.com/us//techsew-85017-high-post-walking-foot-industrial-sewing-machine.html

Having the needle coming down over that side leaves you free to do large jobs out in the open and very little to stop you going all the way around on bags like this circular one I made recently - ( having the needle come down very close to the edge is important and many post machines don't).

DSC02151_resize.JPG

Wow!  Great information.  Many thanks.  I'm going to move my LANDIS 16 out since im not using it and a postbed in for bag work.  

Silverd

16 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

If you want to do totes etc have a think about this one.https://www.techsew.com/us//techsew-85017-high-post-walking-foot-industrial-sewing-machine.html

Having the needle coming down over that side leaves you free to do large jobs out in the open and very little to stop you going all the way around on bags like this circular one I made recently - ( having the needle come down very close to the edge is important and many post machines don't).

DSC02151_resize.JPG

So, you are suggesting a 17"   post vs something shorter?  Also, needle as close to edge as possible.  Nice bag btw!

Silverd

22 minutes ago, Silverd said:

So, you are suggesting a 17"   post vs something shorter?  Also, needle as close to edge as possible.  Nice bag btw!

Many of the shorter posts I believe are great for doing shoe uppers as they are normally like a small table top. Most do not get their needle that close to the edge. Doing any bags that have a little structure in them will need more height than the common 7" to get down the sides and across the bottom. I am only advising you need to have a close look and consider the type of products and methods used to be able to construct them before you sink a whole lot of money into a semi useful machine.

5 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

Many of the shorter posts I believe are great for doing shoe uppers as they are normally like a small table top. Most do not get their needle that close to the edge. Doing any bags that have a little structure in them will need more height than the common 7" to get down the sides and across the bottom. I am only advising you need to have a close look and consider the type of products and methods used to be able to construct them before you sink a whole lot of money into a semi useful machine.

Understand.  I'm in info collection mode and appreciate your advise.  That said...

I think I understand your argument for the taller post. Reference Techsew 85017.  Is there a down side of the tall post machine architecture or loss of function compared with a short post?

What about the power presser roller feed vers walking foot?  Recommendation?  

Thank you in advance,

Silverd

The down side if any that I can think of with the tall post is getting a good height for the operator to get right. Some places do stand up stitching and some like me like to sit. No much of an issue really.

As to the roller foot as against walking feet ..... the rollers are great if you are doing fancy detail work as they can give a bit better manoeuvring but can be a bit tricky to not leave fine roller teeth marks on top on some leathers. A couple of examples  9b_resize.JPG

9g.JPG

This above is done on this Adler with a driven top roller

DSC00209_resize.JPGDSC00210_resize.JPG

Basically its good but the distance of the needle from the edge is a bit far away on a lot of things and the shape of the horn is not very rounded which impacts on things like small circular bags etc.

Reality good info.  Thank you!

It makes sense the work height of a tall post is at standing level. Agree it's a minor issue.  

Techsew makes a tall post version.  Who else might I look at?  

Thanks again

Silverd

5 hours ago, Silverd said:

Reality good info.  Thank you!

It makes sense the work height of a tall post is at standing level. Agree it's a minor issue.  

Techsew makes a tall post version.  Who else might I look at?  

Thanks again

Silverd

I don't know what is around your area but if you search for high post bed machine 8365 you will get a lot of results. Here are a couple that show the product a bit better than many of the other ones you get. Take note of the needle close to the edge and also where in one video you can see where a tall tote can be stitched down the side so easily.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/leather-bags-8365-high-post-bed_60468228341.html?spm=a2700.7724857.normal_offer.d_image.591c2784YURSK5

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Small-hook-8365-handbag-making-super_62418261641.html?spm=a2700.7724857.normal_offer.d_title.591c2784vIkM2T

as you will see you can get them in different heights and left or right side of the post etc.

Very helpful the Alabama links.  Thank you

Name brand machines very expensive.  Have you purchased / used a Chinese non name brand manufacturer?  Most sewers today come out of China most I understand. And the China folks are quite capable of making exceptional products, but like anything else there are the good and the bad.  

Also, left or right side needle...any preference that I'm missing?

Silverd

A small hand bag I'm working to complete between our conversations!

Silverd

Screenshot_20211221-163536_Gallery.jpg

1 hour ago, Silverd said:

Have you purchased / used a Chinese non name brand manufacturer? 

Sort of but not really. I am working on getting some into OZ at present but they will be a known brand as long as they past all my tests. (February 2022 I believe) Note: most dealers have to do a lot in the background to ready these machines up for the general public.

1 hour ago, Silverd said:

Also, left or right side needle...any preference that I'm missing?

My preference is needle on the right as that means if you want to say sew around the base with the bag down over the horn you don't have the body of the machine getting in the way while you work your way around. That is a big bag you are stitching in the picture above and I bet your glad you are not trying to do IT in the throat of the machine:P

I have to ask.....have you got one of our narrow needle plate dog foot sets installed?

Hope to see your bag when you finish it. I wish you a Merry Christmas

Brian

The Alibama sourced machines not ready for most consumers are you saying?  There should be at least one or two of them that have it together....

Right side it is!.  Good tip that I never would have anticipated.

Yes, a big bag!  Took on the project as a repair / recondition job but the original leather was too far gone so I'm restoring completely.   Replated or polished original hardware.  Re-wraping the handles and top rails with leather have been the highlights of the project.  Down to final assembly which will include hand stitching the 4 corner protectors into place and joining the frame to the trunk body.  Still don't know how I'm going to do that yet!

Best of Season Wishes 9

Silverd

6 hours ago, Silverd said:

There should be at least one or two of them that have it together....

You still believe in Santa dontcha:P. These machines don't come all assembled and threaded and timing checked and check springs set and tensioned up for any given size thread and after all of a whole lot more than that ....pack it all up and box it all again. Generally you don't get much if any saving if you are buying a one off machine. Try a minimum of a pallet load. There is a lot more in it than a quick glance would leave you to believe. (Freight is like beyond a joke $$$$$$$ with so few regular planes in the air taking up the slack) . Do a lot of homework before you go too deep and maybe learn Chinese.;)

Edited by RockyAussie

Hahaha...I actually work with a Chinese mechanical engineer who is an off-shore sourcing expert and is willing to help!  I'll keep you up-dated on my progress.  That said, Techsew might be the reasonable alternative to "rolling the dice" with an unknown Alibaba supplier but we will make a few calls.

Thanks for your input

Silverd

14 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

Sort of but not really. I am working on getting some into OZ at present but they will be a known brand as long as they past all my tests. (February 2022 I believe) Note: most dealers have to do a lot in the background to ready these machines up for the general public.

My preference is needle on the right as that means if you want to say sew around the base with the bag down over the horn you don't have the body of the machine getting in the way while you work your way around. That is a big bag you are stitching in the picture above and I bet your glad you are not trying to do IT in the throat of the machine:P

I have to ask.....have you got one of our narrow needle plate dog foot sets installed?

Hope to see your bag when you finish it. I wish you a Merry Christmas

Brian

Hi

Forgot to answer your narrow needle foot question.  I have not but read something about it.  Are you selling them?

Don

7 hours ago, Silverd said:

Hi

Forgot to answer your narrow needle foot question.  I have not but read something about it.  Are you selling them?

Hey Don,

Have a look in this link and the video's showing them in use.

If you want a set of them pm me with your address details and a email to send you an invoice to and we can make it happen.

Brian

Sure.

Don Earl

2601 Pyrite Place

Oxnard. California 93030

Hi! I'm in the market for a high post bed machine as well!  If anyone has a used one! Thank you.

On 12/22/2021 at 4:23 PM, RockyAussie said:

Hey Don,

Have a look in this link and the video's showing them in use.

If you want a set of them pm me with your address details and a email to send you an invoice to and we can make it happen.

Brian

What link...and yes, still interested 

Silverd

2 hours ago, Silverd said:

What link...and yes, still interested 

Message sent