Tkh1975

Needle and thread recommendation

I’ve got a Juki DNU 1541 industrial machine. I plan on sewing a leather strap. It’s about a 5oz strap.  What thread should I use and what size needle?  My machine takes a 135x17 needle. I have a Groz Beckert size 20 needle. It’s says RG on it. I don’t know my industrial needle as you can tell. It’s that the type of tip?  Any help will be greatly appreciated!

RG points are round points with a small ball point used to sew fine knit fabric, microfiber, woven fabrics, buttons, embroidery, and soft clothing leather.

System 135x17 are fabric needles the leather needles that are the same size are 135x16.  You will probably want to look for 135x16 DIA (diamond point) or 135x16 TRI (triangle point) or something similar for sewing on leather.  The needle and thread size will depend on the look you want.  There are several posts on here matching thread and needle sizes with charts.  Probably a size 69 or 92 thread to match up with your size 20 needles.  

58e52bbf9916d_LeatherNeedlePointsG-B.jpg.6672bb1437b47bf09ab14af20eba55f1.jpg (1347×527) (leatherworker.net)

4879dd119b2e1e9445d41cba8a66df7d.jpg

Edited by bland
add additional information

On 12/20/2021 at 5:36 PM, Tkh1975 said:

I have a Groz Beckert size 20 needle.

Another thread chart would be ( https://www.tolindsewmach.com/thread-chart.html ).

kgg