327fed

Slicking inside of holster

I am sure this has been discussed but my search did not find it.  What do you do to slick the inside of a holster with a little too much retention? This one is areund  8-9 oz , unlined, wet molded, and the inside is really rough. Could one use Mink oil, wax, etc? Outside is neatsfoot only. Thanks. 

I'm guessing it's not the finish that's causing the problem, but maybe a little bit aggressive with the molding. Before you go messing with the thing, stick the gun in a dress sock or a plastic bag, put it in the holster overnight and see how it feels the next day. Sometimes they shrink a little during the drying.

2 hours ago, chiefjason said:

Tokonole works wonders slicking rough leather.  

+1 for tokonole.  Works wonders.  I am too cheap to buy one of those glass slickers, as they look nice.  Simply use my bone folder to smooth it out.

Thanks

I always finish my holsters with at least one good coat of Resolene . . .  cut 50/50 with water.

And unless there is some special reason not to do so  . . .  I coat the inside of the holsters as well.

It will take down some of the aggressive ness . . .  AND . . .  it will not allow as much oil to penetrate the holster from the gun . . .  which in turn allows dust to accumulate on the oil inside . . . which becomes an abrasive . . . working on the gun's finish.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thanks guys. I spent 3 NCIS reruns holstering it in and out last night and added a coat of 50-50 Mop and  Glo inside and out and it seems better. 

Another technique that can help is to wrap the unloaded pistol in Saran Wrap plastic film, rub the outside of the plastic with neutral shoe polish, in and out of the holster several times. The leather will take up the wax at contact points where it will act as a light film of lubricant.

17 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Another technique that can help is to wrap the unloaded pistol in Saran Wrap plastic film, rub the outside of the plastic with neutral shoe polish, in and out of the holster several times. The leather will take up the wax at contact points where it will act as a light film of lubricant.

This is a great idea!

If you look at the glass shelves on an old medicine cabinet you'll find the rounded edge for a slicker.  Cut a 4" piece or so, with a glass cutter, and round the cut corner first on a bench grinder, or a belt sander and you are good to go.

You can mount it in a wooden block of you wish.  I just left it.  Cool thing is you can make narrow ones, like 1" or 2". 

Merry CHRISTmas to all.

Edited by MikeRock

Thanks

I hand block/bone. (Although a vacuum table would be good for the initial blocking) Then let it almost completely dry. Then Resolene/water 50/50 inside and out. Let it absorb and bone it again. It will get glossy smooth inside. Pull the piece and let it dry and off gas. Then Techenol or Leather Balm inside and out. Technol is a topcoat and doesn’t soak in like the Resolene/Sheen will. Then buff the outside with a horse hair wheel,