ScottEnglish

Solaway sole remover

Find an MSDS. If it says toluene or xylene, methyl-ethyl-ketone, methanol etc. then it is a regular solvent. There is no magic, and it is unlikely they use something extraordinary.

DrmCa: Okay, if I understand you correctly you're saying that a regular solvent should perform the same function. But how is the solvent applied to the glue bond? Is it necessary to detach the sole a little first?

Thanks.

Scott

The big thing is make sure you wear a good pair of solvent proof gloves don't get that crap on your hands.

2 hours ago, ScottEnglish said:

Okay, if I understand you correctly you're saying that a regular solvent should perform the same function.

Nope, I am not saying that. I am just guessing that it is a regular solvent. Find their MSDS. In the first aid section they have to disclose any of harmful chemicals, and all of the solvents are luckily harmful. So you will know what the damn brew consists of. If you ask them, they have to give you an MSDS. If they refuse, shop elsewhere.

:16:You can find the msds  sheets online as well . you can probably find the instructions on the soleaway site too. 

Samalan: Yes, that sounds sensible.

DrmCa: Thanks for the warning.

chuck123wapati: There's very little information available about Solaway online.

I think in view of what I've been reminded of, that these products may harm our health, that I'll focus upon alternative means of removing a sole. Thank you all for your comments.

Scott

16 hours ago, ScottEnglish said:

DrmCa: Okay, if I understand you correctly you're saying that a regular solvent should perform the same function. But how is the solvent applied to the glue bond? Is it necessary to detach the sole a little first?

Thanks.

Scott

It all depends on the type of upper and the type of sole you want to remove. In most cases a contact glue solvent (thinners) is all you need and in most cases you just use a suitable brush to activate the glue. Open the sole back a bit with your large nail pullers gently and just work along slowly wiping as you go with the brush. The brush will need to be regularly rewetted. Sometimes a paint stripper gun can be used to gradually apply enough heat to activate the glue and peel back the sole with some suitable nippers. If you could post a picture of the project you want to do this on I could probably give you a better answer. All of this is done using a shoe last stand normally which helps to give you something firm to pull against.