RocknBLeather

Leather director chair

Hi all,

I'm thinking of making some leather seat and back peices for director chairs.

I'm just asking if anyone here on the board has made any and if there is any difficulty

in getting the leather seat back into the grooves on the sides of the seat.

It looks like it might be a problem.

Thanks for any info or pics of finished chairs if possible.

Tina

I've been looking to do that to a wooden one for some time now....I figured you have to take the chair apart to do it right.

I have a chrome one, but leather won't go good with that.

Keep us posted.

I have a chrome one, but leather won't go good with that.

umm... seen any Harleys lately? ;-) But seriously, leather would look AWESOME on a chrome directors chair! One of the most famous architects designed some furniture that was leather and chrome. they DEFINITELY go together. :)

Tina,

I have re-leathered a couple of these in the dim and distant past and didn't experience any great problem with them, but the ones I did were very simple indeed. My only advice is to take a bunch of pictures before you start work and then take a lot more pictures as you go and if you dismantle any of the frame keep all the bits nice and safe - I once lost one screw and it held me up for half a day whilst I drove miles trying to replace it. I got back, put the replacement screw in the hole and tightened it up and almost immediately saw the missing one on the floor... anyone else done that? Doh!

Here a couple of pictures of finished chairs - not my work I'm afraid but I particularly like the 'campaign' furniture look.

I'd be interested to know if anyone knows a director chair frame maker?

Ray

chair_1.jpg

chair_2.jpg

post-6314-1231751991_thumb.jpg

post-6314-1231752003_thumb.jpg

Ray,

I'd also be interested in a Director chair frame maker.

I know how you feel about the missing screw and sympathise. The little sods even know how to add insult to injury by sitting right in your line of sight, as soon as you get the replacement.

I don't trust my eyes any more. Once I've had a really good look for the missing screw, I get a dirty great magnet and push it around the floor for a while. Usually picks it up.

Cheers,

Karl

Tina, I see on ebay, they have a lot of replacement back/seat kits for them, so they must not be too difficult to take apart.

There are free plans here for anyone handy at woodwork.

I got a headache just reading the instructions...but wouldn't this be a wonderful project for someone handy with woodwork...sell kits to us poor leather folks....let's get somebody on it!!!

Let's do this the easy way. Just go to Pier One Imports and buy a directors chair. I think they have two different heights, this is the taller one.

Use the cloth back that comes with it for a pattern. The chair folds up with no need to take it apart. Once you fold the chair for use, the leather back is what holds the arms up. Then just slip the back off and fold the chair up.

Hope this helps.

Casey

samples_001__Medium_.jpg

samples_002__Medium___2_.jpg

samples_005__Medium_.jpg

post-7801-1231796973_thumb.jpg

post-7801-1231796984_thumb.jpg

post-7801-1231796992_thumb.jpg

I have done this. The first attempt, I machine stitched a strip on the bottom of the seat, thinking that would fit in the groove and the pressure from the arms would hold it in place. Nice theory, but it didn't work for long. The leather on the back stretches and there is no pressure from the arms. Then I took the stitching out and added a wider piece to the bottom of the first strip so it was sort of like an I beam and had to slide into the groove. This I had to handstitch, which I was trying to avoid to keep the cost down.

Another guy I did it for said his fulltime job is switching the seat back to front and front to back to make sure it stretches evenly.

Oh, by the way, I'm talking about bridle leather, not covering the canvas with a lighter weight leather.

Kevin

This is one of my inspiration web sites, bottom of page you will see director chairs.

These folks are some of the best I have seen.

Director Chair

I've done a couple; one out of veg tan and one out of elk. My suggestion is to back the leather with a good quality canvas. I've used my elk chair for years and it has virtually no sag. Just about any leather sat in very much will soon stretch out of shape badly. Good luck.

This is one of my inspiration web sites, bottom of page you will see director chairs.

These folks are some of the best I have seen.

Director Chair

I have seen this website before I posted on this forum, Yes, they do AWESOME work!!!!

Thanks for sharing with everyone.

Edited by RocknBLeather

Thanks everyone for sharing your knowledge with me.I did order some director chairs, they came today, I will take themout of the boxes and see what I can create.I know I will be able to do the backs, it's the seat that had me stumped.I don't know how I will be able to fit the leather into the slot that you slide theseat into. It looks too small.Thanks,again, Tina

Let's do this the easy way. Just go to Pier One Imports and buy a directors chair. I think they have two different heights, this is the taller one.Use the cloth back that comes with it for a pattern. The chair folds up with no need to take it apart. Once you fold the chair for use, the leather back is what holds the arms up. Then just slip the back off and fold the chair up. Hope this helps.Casey
I really like your design, I like it better that just a square back, the roundness adds a nice touch.Tina