Bert03241

Really Wish I had a Sewing Machine LOL

I have tons of knives and there just in boxes, decided to make a roll for a few of them, eventually all of them.But these old hands with arthritis have a hard time sewing and theres a lot of sewing. I just started on the pockets on one side and find it hard and painful to hand sew. Its gonna take me forever just to make 1 roll. I can't afford a sewing machine just for the few things I make. Oh well guess I'll just have to take my time, maybe in a week or 2 it will be done LOL 

Knife Roll.jpg

If'n a fella DIDNT have arthritis, that might  be a good way ta GIT it :rofl:

I'm in the same boat haha. I'd love a machine, but you really need 2. And I don't do production work and can't warrent nor afford the expense. Nonetheless that's a good looking roll.

Thanx, I've been looking at these 100 dollar cobbler machines, that might be worth it if they work LOL:whatdoyouthink:

8 hours ago, Bert03241 said:

I have tons of knives and there just in boxes, decided to make a roll for a few of them, eventually all of them.But these old hands with arthritis have a hard time sewing and theres a lot of sewing. I just started on the pockets on one side and find it hard and painful to hand sew. Its gonna take me forever just to make 1 roll. I can't afford a sewing machine just for the few things I make. Oh well guess I'll just have to take my time, maybe in a week or 2 it will be done LOL 

Knife Roll.jpg

One thing you are doing wrong to start with . . . don't cut off the strip to use for the knives.   

Just fold over the length you need.  Then you can make two stitches . . . one about half way up . . . one at the top . . . that'll hold them.  

The fold at the bottom won't have to be stitched either.

May God bless,

Dwight

10 hours ago, Dwight said:

One thing you are doing wrong to start with . . . don't cut off the strip to use for the knives.   

Just fold over the length you need.  Then you can make two stitches . . . one about half way up . . . one at the top . . . that'll hold them.  

May God bless,

Dwight

:17::16: Thats how I've done my tool rolls, but with maybe more stitches and occasionally a ready-rivet at the top of each pocket

And this reminds me I need to make a tool-roll for my dottir's archaeology tools

14 hours ago, Bert03241 said:

Thanx, I've been looking at these 100 dollar cobbler machines, that might be worth it if they work LOL:whatdoyouthink:

Hundred Dollar cobbler machines I bought  one it cost me more than that to go get it because you don't want to ship one of those they are to fragile but good luck on that one.

19 hours ago, Bert03241 said:

Knife Roll.jpg

Looks good 

19 hours ago, Dwight said:

May God bless,

Dwight

wow never thought of that , thanx will try on the next on:You_Rock_Emoticon:

OK Thax to Dwight's suggestion and someone else mentioned a rivet I find I don't have to sew at all:thumbsup::banana:So here's what I did.

Quick and Dirty Knife Roll saved a lot of pain in my fingers

IMG_20211228_163502998 (Copy).jpg

IMG_20211228_163514894 (Copy).jpg

IMG_20211228_164046619 (Copy).jpg

IMG_20211228_164256573 (Copy).jpg

The first one I was doing with all the sewing I ended up taking it to a shop that did sewing and they finished it for me 10bucks couldn't beat that deal. Pic's later.

A. that looks just grand so it does

B. A win there

That looks just fine!

Hi Bert03241, 

I appreciate your efforts. You are doing amazing work by hands. However this work can be done so easily and with less time by sewing machine. If you can afford sewing machine in future, you can buy it online from various stores like amazon etc. You can take help by this blog if you wanna get knowledge about latest sewing machines or embroidery machines.  

35 minutes ago, williambowie said:

Hi Bert03241, 

I appreciate your efforts. You are doing amazing work by hands. However this work can be done so easily and with less time by sewing machine. If you can afford sewing machine in future, you can buy it online from various stores like amazon etc. You can take help by this blog if you wanna get knowledge about latest sewing machines or embroidery machines.  

Amazon does not have sewing machines that would sew what he needed.

And the blog is for quilters and DIY ladies sewing dresses.

If you want a leather sewing machine . . . https://www.tolindsewmach.com/ . . . he sells leather sewing machines.

May God bless,

Dwight

I would like to address the sewing machine comments.

An old vintage singer 66.  They can be found easily at garage sales, FB market place or Craig's list. Will sew 2 pieces of 6oz veg tan.  You need a leather needle I suggest a size #21 needle.   Here is a Video of a singer 66 I bought and oiled it threaded it and changed the needle

I would not pay more than $100.00.  Millions were made, they are not rare

PLEASE, Excuse the blue fingers. LOL  I was dying leather before I did this video

singer 66 first run and test - YouTube

45 minutes ago, Frodo said:

An old vintage singer 66.

I enjoyed the video, to the point. You can't beat old iron made with real metal probably will last forever. Too bad most of the the old iron didn't have some sort of walking foot.

kgg

Been looking all over for a 66 seems like their all to expensive or broke and need repair

53 minutes ago, Bert03241 said:

Been looking all over for a 66

Another option would be the 3/4 version the Singer 99.

kgg

found one of those on ebay for a 100 +sxh seller didn't really describe it very well just said used condition. I'm leary of sellers like that

found a 99 what thread would I use with it. I'm brand new at machine sewing never had one, no nothing about them. I suppose I'll have a time getting up and running for the first time.  any tips

14 hours ago, Bert03241 said:

found a 99 what thread would I use with it. I'm brand new at machine sewing never had one, no nothing about them. I suppose I'll have a time getting up and running for the first time.  any tips

For tips about specific machines you're best bet is to ask another part of the forum dealing with just leather sewing machines:
https://leatherworker.net/forum/forum/50-leather-sewing-machines/

~JL