This is a holster I made my dad for a Christmas present.  It is for a new 3" Colt King Cobra.  I made the front and back out of two pieces of thinner leather glued together - it is about as stiff as kydex.  

20211223_141223_copy_756x1008.jpg

20211223_141234_copy_756x1008.jpg

20211223_141158_copy_756x1008.jpg

20211223_141141_copy_756x1008.jpg

Man he will love that Nice, tight and clean job!!! It gives me inspiration to be nicer to my kids lol.

Nice job - he will love it!

Very nice! 

Awesome.  Please tell the details of the holster.  How is it lined, what pattern did you use?  etc.

Excellent work

2 hours ago, AzShooter said:

Awesome.  Please tell the details of the holster.  How is it lined, what pattern did you use?  etc.

Each side (front and back) is made of two thin layers of Hermann Oak (about 4oz) contact cemented together.  The inside and outside of the holster is smooth (grain side) leather.   

I made my own pattern.  I should have posted the four rough draft holsters I made before this one.  They show the progression from rough to more refined.  I also needed them to dial in the the stitch line around the gun.  After the first draft I decided to show off the top of the cylinder; to me those elongated cuts are distinctive to Colt double actions.  I think the cylinder cuts look great, and I don't think lowering the cylinder area of the mouth really exposes the gun too much to getting scratched and what not.  It was a fun holster to design and make as it is for my dad, and I really liked the gun too.   

Edited by dakotawolf

Thanks for the report.  Yes, I really like what you did by lowering the leather around the cylinder.  Gives it a really nice and different look. 

Looks purdy good. 

Untitled-1.jpg

Wanna watch HOW FAR you drop that center.. too much and that over the trigger can get "flappy".  LINED will help with that.

26 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

Looks purdy good. 

Untitled-1.jpg

Wanna watch HOW FAR you drop that center.. too much and that over the trigger can get "flappy".  LINED will help with that.

Good point.  It would be a very bad thing for that trigger cover to enter the trigger guard while holstering.  I'll have to keep an eye on it.  Right now it is very firm being two layers thick, but with time that could change.  Thank you.   

1 hour ago, dakotawolf said:

, but with time that could change.  Thank you.   

Welcome, but maybe I should clarify that I dont' think THIS holster would have an issue -- it's "pretty" high on the gun, and the double layer certainly adds some rigidity. 

Clarifying.. I LIKE this holster ;)

Nice job all the thread lines right where they should be. lined and tight very nice job.

absolutely beautiful.  Nice, deep stitch groove lines really adds to it as well.  Classy.