Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hi all, 

I recently picked up a box of miscellaneous leather tools and there were these four tools in it that I have never seen before and have no idea what they are used for. I was hoping you all could help me identify what their uses are. 

From left to right in the lineup: 

1. Double-sided overstitch wheel (I know it's an overstitch wheel, but double-sided? How would I use that?)

2. Some sort of French Beveler or edge beveler, possibly for shoe making?

3. Some sort of creaser or little hammer thing? The previous owner sharpened the axe end because he wasn't sure what else to do with it. 

4. An awl of some sort, I can't tell if the tip has been broken off or what the deal is. Very thick, blunt end, maybe was forked but broke off? Maybe for saddle making? 

Any help or ideas would be appreciated. :)

IMG_6454.jpg

IMG_6455.jpg

IMG_6456.jpg

Edited by Chief Filipino

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The overstitch wheel you would only use 1 side at a time. It's got 2 different thread patterns (TPI's) so you would run the center blade section along your edge with the desired TPI on the leather to make your marks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/27/2021 at 8:25 AM, SaintJoy18 said:

The overstitch wheel you would only use 1 side at a time. It's got 2 different thread patterns (TPI's) so you would run the center blade section along your edge with the desired TPI on the leather to make your marks.

Thanks. That's what I was thinking but wasn't sure, I wanted to double check and see if there was some other way it was used. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've just been on George Barnsley's website and found this tool, which looks very much like the one second from the left in your picture, with the thinner pale wood handle - though I'm not too sure what it does

Feathering Knife | George Barnsley and Sons

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/28/2021 at 10:34 PM, zuludog said:

I've just been on George Barnsley's website and found this tool, which looks very much like the one second from the left in your picture, with the thinner pale wood handle - though I'm not too sure what it does

Feathering Knife | George Barnsley and Sons

 

Awesome! Thank you! I bet that it is the same thing. I'll have to look up feathering and shoe making. Thanks! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's an idea --- if these tools are for shoe making then perhaps the blunt awl could be a pin pusher, which is used to push in small nails or brads when there isn't enough room to use a hammer

Searcht'Net for 'panel pin pusher tool' Here's one --

Proops Push Pin Setting Tool (W3272) Free UK Postage : Amazon.co.uk

Edited by zuludog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/30/2021 at 12:26 AM, zuludog said:

Here's an idea --- if these tools are for shoe making then perhaps the blunt awl could be a pin pusher, which is used to push in small nails or brads when there isn't enough room to use a hammer

Searcht'Net for 'panel pin pusher tool' Here's one --

Proops Push Pin Setting Tool (W3272) Free UK Postage : Amazon.co.uk

Hmmm perhaps it's a much older version. Though the pin pusher I'm seeing have a hole in the end, this one does not have such a hole. Thank you for the input. I'll keep looking and see if I find one like it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

second from left I have used as a stitch ripper for things that I couldn't otherwise get to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The second to the left I have seen being used for the cut out of the insole of the shoe, to create a channel to sew your welt onto. at 16:50 of this video he uses it. Hope that helps.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...