Besthorsegear

Quality hardware

Looking for sources for quality stainless and brass hardware.  Weaver doesn't have what I need, nor does Tandy, and I'm not sure about their quality.  Seems like most of the time when I order from another supplier I get el cheapo lightweight stuff I can't use.  You folks have other quality suppliers?  Today I need 3/4" brass cart buckles.  Weaver's  brass #132 buckles are short and stubby, don't match the stainless in size and don't work well with thicker leather. Thanks.

Okay, I admit it (and I'm sure I'm the only one) ... I just GOOGLED "cart buckle" and I'm STILL not sure that that means :crazy:

I use Laederiet but they are not based in the US, so that might be a deal breaker.

There is also Pethardware in Czechia. 

Laederiet have a bunch of weird specialty buckles for making harnesses for driving horses. https://laederiet.com/produkter/97-for-harness/

Is a 'cart buckle' the same as a bridle or swage buckle ?  :dunno:

HS

To be honest whenever I step outside the safe haven of Buckleguy, I regret it and come back running LOL

It's not just the quality or the variety, it's that most other websites just don't have accurate descriptions so I can understand exactly what I'm buying, you know what I mean?  For example that Laederiet website (which looks really nice by the way, nothing against them) it says buckle "size 35", and that leaves me wondering what is 35, is it the width or the length of the buckle? Or is it the width of the leather strap that fits it? and is it actually cm/mm/inches, or just a "size" number and not an actual dimension?  Buckleguy always puts a ruler next to the photo so you don't have to sit there scratching your head.   Then it's all the other things that you only learn after you buy, like how long it takes them to ship, do they actually have stock or are they waiting for someone to place an order so they can place their order and you end up waiting a month, etc.    You probably resolve all those questions after the first time you buy, but I just hate going through the process every time I discover a new website...

I've had good luck with Batz Corp for harness and tack hardware.  I find it easier to shop from their PDF catalog then search the online store using a part number.  Some of the heavy brass items are currently on backorder.  These guys also look interesting https://www.harnesshardware.ca/ but I haven't set up an account with them yet.

batz-hardware.jpg

Edited by TomE

1 hour ago, Handstitched said:

Is a 'cart buckle' the same as a bridle or swage buckle ?  :dunno:

HS

I think a cart buckle is a generic term for a heavy center bar buckle with a round-ish profile.  Bridle buckles are typically heel bar (e.g. stamped stainless steel) or center bar wire buckles in smaller sizes.

I'll second Harness Hardware for decent brass hardware in Canada. They are in the heart of Mennonite country in Ontario the same as Weaver is in the heart of Amish country in Ohio. Not anywhere near the size of Weaver but they had some hard to find items that Weaver didn't carry. 

Since North & Judd closed a couple decades ago, there hasn't been a reliable quality buckle producer in North America. Everything comes from overseas.

@Spyros I just checked the English page of Laederiet, ans it isn't quite as logical as the Danish site of it.  The size is in mm and is for the width of the strap that goes through the buckle. They have a great customer service, so I would just phone them and ask, but then again I also live in Denmark. 

I just tried to Google for some German distributors, and here are just from the top of the list:

https://pferdesport.sprenger.de/shop/pferdesport_en/harness-fittings/Special-fittings.html

https://shop.tom-buettner.de/sattlerei/material/?p=1

I think that I'll have to try ordering something from Sprenger. That stuff looks really good. They even have a retailer in the USA, so that should make things easier for all of you living on that side of the Atlantic. https://hermsprengerusa.com/

Please note that I am not affiliated with any of these companies etc..  

Thanks everyone for the input.  This is what we think of as a cart buckle - 

54868-xxx-0116284_s.jpg

Try Montana Leather Company, they show them in stock, but they may be the same as Weaver's.  

Harness Hardware carries those .They usually ship same day I order from them.  Good quality too.