Kovant

Which sewing machine should I buy?

1 hour ago, Cumberland Highpower said:

I consider 277 to be acceptable, but you can say the "vast" majority of stitching done by hand today is done with oversize thread (346/415).  I think it's largely due to a lack of leatherworking knowledge.  In the past virtually all leatherworkers learned as aprentices or through  a Guild of some sort, where they were taught by men who knew the trade proper.. If you look at professionally hand stitched goods from the days of linen, the vast majority of goods were stitched with a much finer thread and more stitches to the inch. 2-3-4 cord.   

When I see large thread and a low stich to the inch count on a hand make item, I think novice or hobbyist right away.    I do a little hand stitching on a few specialty items and use 3 cord, maybe 4 and generally 8 stitches per inch, but on occasion I do stretch it to about 6.

Today that's just another aesthetic, people simply take it, or leave it.  It's definitely still alive in anything that tries to look like Hermes, but there's many other mainstream styles out there, especially in everyday casual items.

13 hours ago, Spyros said:

Today that's just another aesthetic, people simply take it, or leave it.  It's definitely still alive in anything that tries to look like Hermes, but there's many other mainstream styles out there, especially in everyday casual items.

Probably so.  My original reply was mainly in regard to sewing machines.  I guess hand stitching is another topic all together.