rickybobby

Driving Holster for an NAA Long Rifle Model

This is my version of a "Driving Holster" for a North American Arms Long Rifle model with a 1 1/8" Barrel

There is not much room to work with as far as molding the leather but I do make sure there is adequate room for the sight.

Using a Thumb Break helps keep it from dropping out the back and the little molding I can do around the cylinder and barrel holds it steady so its not "flopping around" in the Holster.

The Leather is #1 W&C 8oz Brown, Back (belly removed), Leveled from 10/12oz, Backside is refinished and pasted by W&C

After drying from wet molding the Holster is dipped in Resolene/Water mixture 50%/50% and the edges are dyed brown with Fiebings Oil Dye then Fiebings Neutral Edge Kote applied

Final operation after making sure of the fit is a light rubdown with Fiebings Aussie Conditioner

Questions, Comments, Constructive Criticism are always welcome!  Thanks for looking!

Rick

NAA LR Driving Holster.JPG

NAA LR Driving Holster Back Side.JPG

NAA LR Driving Holster Brown.JPG

Edited by rickybobby
Add photos

That's NOT velcro, right?  Some dummy putting out holsters fer Bond Arms came up with something very similar to this...  had a guy wanted one for his SnakeSlayer, sent me a pic of the one he got from BA.  I took one look at it, and thought "what keeps that from flopping out on the ground when it's bumped?".  And sure enough, his wife said that's EXACTLY what happened. Gun just DROPPED on the ground.  I would rather see it fully sewn down (like as in have to undo your belt to put it on) than that CRUD design they came up with.  Mind you, it didn't LOOK hideous, it was just a bad design idea.

These little boogers, the safety strap IS a plus, and color is nice.  Still, wondering why you decided NOT to sew along the bottom edge where shown?

Untitled-1.jpg

On 12/28/2021 at 9:32 PM, JLSleather said:

That's NOT velcro, right?  Some dummy putting out holsters fer Bond Arms came up with something very similar to this...  had a guy wanted one for his SnakeSlayer, sent me a pic of the one he got from BA.  I took one look at it, and thought "what keeps that from flopping out on the ground when it's bumped?".  And sure enough, his wife said that's EXACTLY what happened. Gun just DROPPED on the ground.  I would rather see it fully sewn down (like as in have to undo your belt to put it on) than that CRUD design they came up with.  Mind you, it didn't LOOK hideous, it was just a bad design idea.

These little boogers, the safety strap IS a plus, and color is nice.  Still, wondering why you decided NOT to sew along the bottom edge where shown?

Untitled-1.jpg

Wrong, that IS velcro. The North American Arms Revolvers weigh from 3oz to 7oz loaded.  That is a lot less than the Bond Arms.  The last Bond Arms Driving Holster I saw they had a 3/4" round circle of Hook & Loop material (Velcro) holding a much heavier gun. Mine have 1" X 1 3/4" of Hook & Loop (velcro) holding the strap.

I also use a "block" of leather that locks the strap on the belt. You can unhook the velcro and with the belt block the Holster won't drop off the belt. (even a Bond Arms)

On that little Holster I just didn't stitch the short run under the barrel. The stitch to the left is holding the strap on.

Colt Mustang Driving Holster w:Tooling on Strap.JPG

Colt Mustang Driving Holster.JPG

Nope.  No.

That second one is a nice lookin little rig, to be sure.  Looks purdy solid, too ;)

But, either of those guns, if you hold it out at arms length, then let go of it, does it FALL?   Of course it does.  Anything does.  Even the paper pattern for it does.  Everything does.

That in mind, looking at the last pic above... (and that's also a nice lookin' belt by the way) ... if that is WORN instead of laying on the weeds, and that velco is "open", WHERE does the holster go?  Does it stay upright like that (that's rhetorical and deliberately silly - it DOES NOT stay in that position, except perhaps when brand new and empty).

1 hour ago, JLSleather said:

Nope.  No.

That second one is a nice lookin little rig, to be sure.  Looks purdy solid, too ;)

But, either of those guns, if you hold it out at arms length, then let go of it, does it FALL?   Of course it does.  Anything does.  Even the paper pattern for it does.  Everything does.

That in mind, looking at the last pic above... (and that's also a nice lookin' belt by the way) ... if that is WORN instead of laying on the weeds, and that velco is "open", WHERE does the holster go?  Does it stay upright like that (that's rhetorical and deliberately silly - it DOES NOT stay in that position, except perhaps when brand new and empty).

On 12/28/2021 at 4:14 PM, rickybobby said:

This is my version of a "Driving Holster" for a North American Arms Long Rifle model with a 1 1/8" Barrel

There is not much room to work with as far as molding the leather but I do make sure there is adequate room for the sight.

Using a Thumb Break helps keep it from dropping out the back and the little molding I can do around the cylinder and barrel holds it steady so its not "flopping around" in the Holster.

The Leather is #1 W&C 8oz Brown, Back (belly removed), Leveled from 10/12oz, Backside is refinished and pasted by W&C

After drying from wet molding the Holster is dipped in Resolene/Water mixture 50%/50% and the edges are dyed brown with Fiebings Oil Dye then Fiebings Neutral Edge Kote applied

Final operation after making sure of the fit is a light rubdown with Fiebings Aussie Conditioner

Questions, Comments, Constructive Criticism are always welcome!  Thanks for looking!

Rick

NAA LR Driving Holster.JPG

NAA LR Driving Holster Back Side.JPG

NAA LR Driving Holster Brown.JPG

I have to agree i wouldn't chance it. I had a cousin dropped his 22 pistol once, shot himself in the guts. Only takes one accident with a pistol to die and there is no use creating a possible problem when there is no need to!

Do yourself a favor sew it on and take the extra few seconds to unbuckle your belt and put it on.

It will look exactly the same but it will be safe AND it looks really good !

On 1/8/2022 at 7:36 AM, JLSleather said:

Nope.  No.

Thank you

These are "Driving Holsters" not "Concealed Carry all over the place" or "Hiking in the desert Holsters"  they are best used while in a seated position. FWIW

With that said, the one in these photos (WORN vs. "laying in the weeds") the Holster does stay in position. I admit, probably not permanently but, if it hits the ground it is in a Holster. "Does it stay upright like that (that's rhetorical and deliberately silly - it DOES NOT stay in that position, except perhaps when brand new and empty" 

BTW it is not "new or empty".  This is my personal that I have worn while working all day in the shop, also while in the grocery store, etc. (all day and part of the night) for weeks for the last 2 1/2 or 3 years.

I posted this to share.  It's ok you don't want to build anything like this. I do, and people like them. No gun has been harmed, no one has been "shot in the guts" 

Thanks for looking!

Driving Holster Unhooked.JPG

Unhooked Driving Holster.JPG

26 minutes ago, rickybobby said:

These are "Driving Holsters" not "Concealed Carry all over the place" or "Hiking in the desert Holsters"

Yup, and that would make a difference fer sher.  And that little "block" is a plus any wayz ya cut it.

Long as a fella don't git out the truck without undoin it.  Getting up would be one of those times most likely to catch it on something in the velcro.  When I said "fall", I didn't mean necessarily the holster was going with it.

On 1/8/2022 at 10:28 AM, chuck123wapati said:

sew it on and take the extra few seconds to unbuckle your belt

I think there's another way, but was almost hopin' somebody would pipe in with it by now .... :whistle:

2 hours ago, rickybobby said:

Thank you

These are "Driving Holsters" not "Concealed Carry all over the place" or "Hiking in the desert Holsters"  they are best used while in a seated position. FWIW

With that said, the one in these photos (WORN vs. "laying in the weeds") the Holster does stay in position. I admit, probably not permanently but, if it hits the ground it is in a Holster. "Does it stay upright like that (that's rhetorical and deliberately silly - it DOES NOT stay in that position, except perhaps when brand new and empty" 

BTW it is not "new or empty".  This is my personal that I have worn while working all day in the shop, also while in the grocery store, etc. (all day and part of the night) for weeks for the last 2 1/2 or 3 years.

I posted this to share.  It's ok you don't want to build anything like this. I do, and people like them. No gun has been harmed, no one has been "shot in the guts" 

Thanks for looking!

Driving Holster Unhooked.JPG

Unhooked Driving Holster.JPG

My daddy had a saying "its your house you can paint it any color you want", i stand by that saying too.

Edited by chuck123wapati

1 hour ago, chuck123wapati said:

"its your house you can paint it any color you want

Yup, when it's yer story, you gitta tell it however ya like ;)

Love the holster it should work well for driving.

Edited by chuck123wapati