leathersmyth

29K51 Question/parts

I picked up a 29k51 the other day and overall its in good shape.  pulled completely apart when got back home......  The person selling didnt know much about it other than it would not sew.  So now that it is cleaned up and all back together, the timing is how it should be... But when the hook catches the thread, it pulls it under the shuttle carrier piece instead of just the bobbin, and stops sewing.  Any guess or thoughts on why it is looping under the shuttle carrier? I put the needle in that came with machine plus one from my 29k71 and same thing. The check spring was a mess when pulled apart and does need a new one, but i jigged it so at least it will work now instead of being bent like was... The timing is proper,  everything is clean and running like should. It catches the thread proper, only thing is the looping under the carrier.  Needles the cause, check spring the cause? any guesses would be great! 

Plus, is the shuttle carrier still available even though from other models (does anyone know?) ?    interchangeable?? If so, any guess what model would fit it?

It sounds like you may have threaded the top take-up lever incorrectly. Download these manuals and rethread the machine if necessary.

Also, make sure you use System 29x3 or x4, or 135x16 or x17 needles and install the needle with the long rib facing due left, then thread from left to right.

If the machine was threaded correctly, you might have an advanced or retarded hook to needle timing problem. If your model uses an eccentric screw to adjust the timing, loosen the locking nut on the inside bottom of the base, then insert a wide blade screwdriver in the hole in the lower front of the base and turn it left or right to move the hook one way or the other. Then cycle the machine until the needle goes all the way down, then lifts slightly and halts. This is pick-off time. Adjust the eccentric screw to position the hook so it intersects the needle above the eye.

If the machine is threaded and timed correctly but the loop is dissolving before the hook can pick it off, the paddle shaped check spring inside the needle bar may be shot. Replacing it is not a job for a beginner unless you have thin steady fingers and a good magnetic jewelers' screwdriver.

29-4-users-manual.pdf 29K1 TO K4,K10 TO K18,K12 TO K23,K30 TO K33.pdf

Thanks for response.

I have been threading patchers for 50 years or so......... so  fiqure  that should be okay...  29-3 needle system.. Timing is set up how should be,  needle right way.. (been  over 40 years since put needle in wrong way..  :)   )    Only thing is check spring was totally messed up... and jerry rigged so at least it sort of works how should, but still needs to be replaced..  Wont be an issue replacing spring when it gets here... (have pulled machines apart many times through the years......)    Might be all that is stopping from working proper.. But no one around here has so ordered one few days ago, but wont be here for few weeks..... 

any guess /thought if any other model carrier shuttle carrier would work if try to replace? bobbin race?   or is the 29k51 specific to just that model??

Hi There, I had a issue on a 171, when i got it the thread would just mangle under the needle plate, in the end i put the old shuttle carrier back on, which had a corner broken and the previous owner swapped out with a non original, and problem solved! 

shuttle carrier for 29K51-56 is unique to that series.  Other will not work unless you do some modifications.

glenn

Thanks for info!

It was the Check spring on the needle bar that was causing the issue...   Took about 15 min to pull apart, replace and get back together.

Sews like a new machine now... Such a small part, but plays huge role in how thread loops to catch the hook...  :)  

3 minutes ago, leathersmyth said:

Thanks for info!

It was the Check spring on the needle bar that was causing the issue...   Took about 15 min to pull apart, replace and get back together.

Sews like a new machine now... Such a small part, but plays huge role in how thread loops to catch the hook...  :)  

Great to hear you got it going again :thumbsup: