Sign in to follow this  
Beaverslayer

two vests

Well I just finished these two vests. They were both purchased by the same person. One has a full 11 strand weave across the back, shoulders and to the front yolk. The other is just a basic plain vest.

Front of Basic Vest

1bs__Medium_.jpg

Inside Lining of Basic Vest (Leather front panels C/W Pocket)

2bs__Medium_.jpg

Inside back nylon mesh

3bs__Medium_.jpg

Front of Weaved Vest

4bs__Medium_.jpg

Inside front of weaved vest (Satin front panels)

5bs__Medium_.jpg

post-5-1197938996_thumb.jpg

post-5-1197939030_thumb.jpg

post-5-1197939062_thumb.jpg

post-5-1197939107_thumb.jpg

post-5-1197939143_thumb.jpg

WOW Beave,

That is some impressive work, thanks for sharing it, one of these days after the motorcycle seat crush, I've got to try a vest. They look great. What grade and type of leather are you using?

David Theobald

Ken, Great looking vests! Just enough trim to look custom & classy! Thanks for posting!

Tim

Thats pretty amazing. How long does a vest normally take you to do? And did you say you dont use a machine on any of it? How do you sew in lining?

Man those are some nice looking vests. Mahalos for letting us have a look.. Great Job!!!

Thanks all for the compliments, they are appreciated.

Dave, I used #1 grade Garment cow hide from a place here in Calgary called "Halford Hides". It's a 3/4 oz weight.

Tim, these took about 30 hours each. Nope....no machines at all. The lining is actually laced in by folding the outer edge over with a pigskin suede strip attached to close off the cut edge of the cowhide. Then it's all punched and laced together. I'll take a close up pic and post it later.

Ken

WOW those are some nice vests. And you hand stitch them?? I bet your hands cramp up bad.

Thanks welder. Yes the old hands do tend to get a bit stiff after a while, the biggest thing is pinching all the holes. I've also made some "Hand Laced" welding beanies, that cover the back of the head for vertical work, and also the ears are covered. I make them out of cowhide splits.

Ken

What can I add, it already been said. But, damn, you do good work. Those are great.

Jim

Ken, Really nice work, everything flows togerther and I am sure the leather is soft and feels fine when you ware it. How long does it take to produce a vest? Keep up the good work..... Larry Lasso

Did you make your own patterns or are you using a commercial pattern that you've modified? Do you offer different styles? I like the vests they look real comfortable and keep the vitals covered :thumbsup:

Seasoned,

I make all my own patterns, and yes I offer diferent styles. Most are just modifications of this style, with things added or removed, length is changed etc.

Ken

they are treally nice! i always enjoy checking out whatever you are working on Ken!

the inside pocket is a nice touch and the nylon mesh is a nice idea for making the vest a bit cooler :thumbsup:

They look awesome Ken! How would a girl in the States be able to get one and make sure it fit, if you get my drift? Could I just send you measurements?

Shirley

They look awesome Ken! How would a girl in the States be able to get one and make sure it fit, if you get my drift? Could I just send you measurements?

Shirley

Shirleyz, thanks for the compliment, it's always appreciated when people like my work.

I'll find my measurement chart and PM you. That's all thats needed, a few basic measurements and from there I can make one for someone, even if they live in Greenland.

Ken

Hey Roger, thanks for the compliment. Yes I put the nylon mesh in the back of all the vests and hats. It really does help the leather to breathe.

Ken

Nice job Beave

I'm always blown away at your work man. I wish i could lace like that, i think most of us do.

If winter ever hits here i might be needing one of those welder beanies, but for now it's still just to freakin hot here.

You say about 30 hours , how much of that is just lacing ? and how long of a piece do you like to work with

at a time ?

Thanks freak, I appreciate the compliment.

The lacing takes about 25 hours alone, the rest is fairly simple to do...cutting leather...glueing leather...etc.

I prefer to use a lace that's about 5/6 feet long, that way it's easier to work with, and it's not going to get all worn down and look thinner as I go. For the multi-strand weave I'll always use the right length of lace, even if it's 10 or 12 feet long. This keeps me from having to make a flimsy joint in the weave.

Ken