Warhauk

Anybody ever order from alibaba?

When searching for veg tan side, alibaba popped up, and one supplier, it would cost my $270 for 100sqft which seems to be a pretty good deal but I have to assume it is going to be super subpar quality and I was wondering if anybody has taken the risk on something like alibaba?

Not sure about the risk but did you factor in the shipping? Alibaba is not like Aliexpress where shipping is free on many products. Alibaba suppliers use major couriers: Fedex, UPS, TNT, DHL. It costs a fortune.

1 hour ago, DrmCa said:

Not sure about the risk but did you factor in the shipping? Alibaba is not like Aliexpress where shipping is free on many products. Alibaba suppliers use major couriers: Fedex, UPS, TNT, DHL. It costs a fortune.

Yeah the $270 is including S&H. Without that, they are supposedly $23 for a 20swft hide. I don't actually intend to get it though because it seems a bit sketchy.

If they are a major factory in a major city, then the risk is low. The risk increases if they are a small-hand reseller.

I only ever bought from a factory in Ningbo. I knew that they were a notion manufacturer who had overstock. I deposited $$ into their account with Bank of China, and two weeks later DHL dropped the parcel on my porch. But a buddy of mine who does business with China on a regular basis warned me against dealing with any reseller whose office is not in Shenzhen or Guangzhou. Dunno why.

I've bought some stuff on there. Rivets, snaps, and a few small pieces of machinery. Not my preferred choice of marketplace or country of origin, but there are few options for what I was after.

Everything has worked out that I've bought from there, but wouldn't buy leather from there. There are far better options for not much more money, and not all leather is made equally. My time, even when doing hobby rather than job leatherwork, is worth more than the difference.