AzShooter

When using a vacuum bag to form a holster how many HP do you use?

Thank you for the explanation Chris!

I tried the Harbour Freight vacuum today.  It's got twice the power of my old vacuum and really works better.  For a cheap way to go, this can work a long time for what I need to accomplish.

Glad you tried it. I've used my set up for quite a few holsters now. No change in power, hasn't used any oil. I have no issues with oil vapor, but do have have some transference of dye to the bag. I think when you put recently dyed, wet leather in a bag and suck it down its inevitable.  The bag Adams leather works uses on his video is pretty brown as well. I dont leave my mo,dad holsters in the bag under vacuum for very long. I pull vac, form the front, stop, flip the holster over, and apply vac and do the back. Take it out of the bag and detail.

I've never had a dye problem with my vacuum bag . . . but then again . . . I form first . . .  then dye.

AND . . . using Joann's vinyl by the yard (with a 50% off coupon) . . . I can toss a bag with no problem . . . 

Fact is . . . in the next few days . . . will probably be making a new one . . . I need one a bit smaller for some smaller holsters.

May God bless,

Dwight

13 hours ago, Dwight said:

AND . . . using Joann's vinyl by the yard (with a 50% off coupon) . . . I can toss a bag with no problem . . . 

Fact is . . . in the next few days . . . will probably be making a new one . . . I need one a bit smaller for some smaller holsters.

One that subject, Dwight...and having a Joann's within travelin' distance myself...what glue/adhesive do you use when fabricating a new bag? Thanks!

Heavy-duty scotch tape should work as well?

HI,

Not to butt in, but in a video @Dwight said he used woodweld.  And, I just purchased the same getup and can confirm, the woodweld holds VERY well.  I was just so excited putting it all together.  Should've known to be be more patient so I wouldn't be sloppy with the glue! 

~JL

7 hours ago, JayEhl said:

HI,

Not to butt in, but in a video @Dwight said he used woodweld.  And, I just purchased the same getup and can confirm, the woodweld holds VERY well.  I was just so excited putting it all together.  Should've known to be be more patient so I wouldn't be sloppy with the glue! 

~JL

Yep . . . good old Weldwood contact cement is good for lots of stuff.  

I didn't know how it would work for that type of application . . . so I made the border about 2 inches wide . . . have never had a leak.

Bag is 12 or 15 yrs old . . . or thereabouts.

It also works pretty good if your shoe sole comes loose . . . if a piece breaks off your wife's counter top . . . it'll hold fabric together while you're trying to sew it if you are having trouble with it . . . probably used it for some other stuff I can't recall.

I keep a can of it handy all the time.

May God bless,

Dwight