Sign in to follow this  
Panzerradeo

Kamsnaps buckleguy press compatibility

Hey all. I'm looking at getting a hand press for ligne 24, 20 and spring snaps. I've seen kamsnaps has a press DK93 that uses a 8mm m8 thread top die with a 19mm bottom nonthreaded die. Buckleguy uses something very very close per their spec but I figure that's for tolerances. I'm thinking about getting the kamsnaps press (almost 1/3 the price) with the buckleguy dies (double the price) because the press seems to be the same but the BG dies look to be great quality like usual. Can anyone confirm if the BG dies will fit in the kamsnaps hand press? Specifically the DK93 (with adapter). I did a search but haven't seen if anyone has confirmed it. Thanks!

I have the Buckleguy press.  I use it for 10 and 13 mm spring snaps that I get from Rocky Mountain Leather.  I think those are line 20 and 24 spring snaps?   The BG press' upper die holder is a 7.8mm diameter with a 1.411mm pitch.  The bottom holds a smooth anvil that is 18.9mm.  In real measurements that may be 5/16" and .74" or 3/4".

3 hours ago, mike02130 said:

I have the Buckleguy press.  I use it for 10 and 13 mm spring snaps that I get from Rocky Mountain Leather.  I think those are line 20 and 24 spring snaps?   The BG press' upper die holder is a 7.8mm diameter with a 1.411mm pitch.  The bottom holds a smooth anvil that is 18.9mm.  In real measurements that may be 5/16" and .74" or 3/4".

Right. The reason I'm asking is because that's basically 8mm m8 thread from my understanding but I think the small difference is for tolerances. Kamsnaps dies are 8mm m8 as advertised. I'm hoping someone has a BG press and tried other brand 8mm m8 top threaded dies to see if they fit. I think that's the standard metric die fit which in under the impression BG's press is as well.

To be honest with you instead of dealing with measurements and worrying which thing fits what, I found it much easier (and cheaper) to grab an off-brand hand press from Etsy and a big bag with every single die they had available.  I think it came from Turkey, very nice guys.  They are not the best quality, the machining is not super accurate or super smooth, but honestly man, it doesn't need to be.  So now I have about 40 top and 40 bottom dies, and when I get some new hardware it's just a question of searching which one fits.  It always fits something.  And when I find it I just drop it in the container with the specific hardware it fits so I don't have to search again.

Keep in mind, benchtop hand presses sound like a much better idea than they actually are, for the simple reason that half the projects you'll want to use it with will simply not fit in under it, especially when you're making bags.

To solve this, I still use the dies but not the hand press so much, and whichever press you end up buying you might want to consider doing the same: what I did is I made a shallow hole on my bench with a forstner bit that is exactly the diameter of the bottom die, and I drop the bottom die in there instead of on the press.  Now for the top dies, those are supposed to be screwed on on the press.   So I made a thread with a tap at the end of a small steel rod, and I screw the top dies in there, and when I want to set some hardware I simply hit it from the other end with a mallet.  It's like having 40 different steel setters.  And that way I can set a snap right in the middle of whole hide if I need to.   Now it's true that some hardware tends to set better with pressure rather than hitting them, and that's really the only times that I use the actual hand press.  But most of the time I just use the dies on the bench instead of the press.

Edited by Spyros

6 hours ago, Spyros said:

To be honest with you instead of dealing with measurements and worrying which thing fits what, I found it much easier (and cheaper) to grab an off-brand hand press from Etsy and a big bag with every single die they had available.  I think it came from Turkey, very nice guys.  They are not the best quality, the machining is not super accurate or super smooth, but honestly man, it doesn't need to be.  So now I have about 40 top and 40 bottom dies, and when I get some new hardware it's just a question of searching which one fits.  It always fits something.  And when I find it I just drop it in the container with the specific hardware it fits so I don't have to search again.

Keep in mind, benchtop hand presses sound like a much better idea than they actually are, for the simple reason that half the projects you'll want to use it with will simply not fit in under it, especially when you're making bags.

To solve this, I still use the dies but not the hand press so much, and whichever press you end up buying you might want to consider doing the same: what I did is I made a shallow hole on my bench with a forstner bit that is exactly the diameter of the bottom die, and I drop the bottom die in there instead of on the press.  Now for the top dies, those are supposed to be screwed on on the press.   So I made a thread with a tap at the end of a small steel rod, and I screw the top dies in there, and when I want to set some hardware I simply hit it from the other end with a mallet.  It's like having 40 different steel setters.  And that way I can set a snap right in the middle of whole hide if I need to.   Now it's true that some hardware tends to set better with pressure rather than hitting them, and that's really the only times that I use the actual hand press.  But most of the time I just use the dies on the bench instead of the press.

I appreciate the tip. I could have sworn I replied back but for whatever reason, it didn't post. I ended up getting drunk on bourbon last night and buying the BG press, 3 dies, and some more hardware lol. Don't drink an tool shop I guess. I have no need for putting snaps into hard to reach areas on a project as I pretty exclusive make sheaths, wallets, and other smaller items. If I ever have the need, your idea sounds great and will most likely do the same. I'm probably gonna buy a couple dies from both kamsnaps and snapstools to see if they truly fit. Will report back when I know. I'm still pretty certain that BG's measurements are to allow for tolerances since the standard for metric is 8mm M8 threads. It's pretty dang close. If they don't work, i'll only be out about $20.

Edited by Panzerradeo

20 minutes ago, Panzerradeo said:

I appreciate the tip. I could have sworn I replied back but for whatever reason, it didn't post. I ended up getting drunk on bourbon last night and buying the BG press, 3 dies, and some more hardware lol. Don't drink an tool shop I guess. I have no need for putting snaps into hard to reach areas on a project as I pretty exclusive make sheaths, wallets, and other smaller items. If I ever have the need, your idea sounds great and will most likely do the same. I'm probably gonna buy a couple dies from both kamsnaps and snapstools to see if they truly fit. Will report back when I know. I'm still pretty certain that BG's measurements are to allow for tolerances since the standard for metric is 8mm M8 threads. It's pretty dang close. If they don't work, i'll only be out about $20.

Darn, I see I'm too late as you've already bought.  But in case it is of help to anyone else, here's some info...

I own two Kamsnaps presses (I keep a hole puncher in one and rivet press dies in the other for when I'm doing a bigger production).  I've been buying snaps from Judy at Kamsnaps and want to say that the service she provides is exceptional.  (I'm sure Buckleguy is great also.)  I buy various sizes of rivets, snaps, magnetic snaps etc from them.

The press has an adapter that inserts into the bottom part.  That adapter is 18.94mm in diameter (the part that inserts) and than a little set screw on the side is tightened to hold it in place.  I've never had to remove it for anything.  But having the dimensions might help you and others figure out what else might fit.  Then the die that fits in the bottom just drops into the hole in the adapter and it has an outside diameter of 10mm.  The top die is threaded and as near as I can measure it's 7.85mm outside threads.

Here's a photo of the pieces.   Hope it helps someone.

IMG_9514.jpg

2 hours ago, Panzerradeo said:

Will report back when I know. I'm still pretty certain that BG's measurements are to allow for tolerances since the standard for metric is 8mm M8 threads. It's pretty dang close.

Please report back, I'm interested in knowing.